and thanks for your lack of information.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
what do you wantz out of your future amp?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Quote by PluckU
what do you wantz out of your future amp?

I don't know, I've been playing out of my brother's old guitar amp so I'm a complete bass amp noob. I've heard good things about Acoustic amps though.
for a more modern(very clean punchy) type of sound acoustic is great. i think peavey makes great amps in any price range and they're built to last a lifetime.

i played with a band with a 60 watt peavey combo and it did ok. not great considering both guitarists run tube amps one 100 watt and one 50 watt but it did well enough til i had a replacement. something like this should last you a good while into your first couple years. I find that peavey amps are quite loud for their rated wattage so don't let the 60 watts put you off toward getting an acoustic instead. that said acoustics are pretty loud and good quality too. just peavey does modern sounds pretty well and has plenty of versatility.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Answer these:

What style do you mainly play?

What are you going to use this for? (heavy gigging, occasional coffeeshops, etc...)

Do you have a tonal preference? (bassy, honky, bright....maybe name a band who's bassist has a similar tone.)

Does it have to be portable?
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
Answer these:

What style do you mainly play?

What are you going to use this for? (heavy gigging, occasional coffeeshops, etc...)

Do you have a tonal preference? (bassy, honky, bright....maybe name a band who's bassist has a similar tone.)

Does it have to be portable?

1. Alt rock, indie stuff, things like that.
2. Right now it's just occasional small places, but I'm joining a band soon so hopefully heavy gigging.
3. Bassy
4. No, I could go either way
Better

The best option for you is to go get some old Peavey gear from eBay. Their 80's-90's stuff has a tone that would work well for you, and it's all insanely cheap.

As for new stuff, GC just discontinued the amp I was going to recommend (Yorkville XM100C), which leaves the Acoustic B100, Hartke B900, and the SWR LA15 as your best options. The Acoustic and SWR both have a really clear tone, though, so they'll probably sound a bit bright to you, though you should be able to fix that with the EQ.

Acoustic:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482900

SWR:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-LA15-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482038

Hartke:
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_B900%201x15%20Bass%20Combo%20Amplifier_-1_10052_10002_-49982937_cmCategorySA182894
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 13, 2009,
Glad to be of service

Also, don't forget the used stuff! You could have a whole stack instead of a little combo. Check this out:

215 cab

Carvin head

All for under $250, and waaaay better than any of those combos.
Nope, no sig here.
if you will be mic'd into the pa you can play much larger than that. i'd say indoor venues such as parties and bars should be fine if need be if not run into a pa. the cab is probably about 80-100lbs btw. if your bandmates help it'll be easy. Large cabinets usually have handles on each side.

Btw both of my 4x10 cabs are about 80 lbs and i manage to move them up and down stairs by myself. Just lift with your legs. Tilt it onto a corner and then put one arm on either side and lift. I also use my knee to get them up to chest height when it gets above the knee. I'm 6' 2" 150 lbs. Not a large man by anyones standards. although i do handle this kind of weight often at work so i'm used to lifting it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
if you will be mic'd into the pa you can play much larger than that. i'd say indoor venues such as parties and bars should be fine if need be if not run into a pa. the cab is probably about 80-100lbs btw. if your bandmates help it'll be easy. Large cabinets usually have handles on each side.

Btw both of my 4x10 cabs are about 80 lbs and i manage to move them up and down stairs by myself. Just lift with your legs. Tilt it onto a corner and then put one arm on either side and lift. I also use my knee to get them up to chest height when it gets above the knee. I'm 6' 2" 150 lbs. Not a large man by anyones standards. although i do handle this kind of weight often at work so i'm used to lifting it.

Ah, so many choices now! Is there any way I would able to test out the cabs? Or would I just have to research one and take a chance on a used one?

Oh, that's now that bad. We are pretty even height and weight wise, so that's good that I'll be able to handle it. :P