Well ive been trying to replicate the clean sound Cliff got on the Master of Puppets album, Leper Messiah and the title track to be exact, but just cant do it. Sort of the clangy tone? not sure how to explain haha. ive done numerous searches and could only find threads on his effects sound so yeah..

Ive got basically the same bass as he used, except his was active so it cant really be that. but yeah any tips? anything appreciated thanks.

EDIT: im using a Warwick Sweet 15.2
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Last edited by Metal5115 at Feb 13, 2009,
Maybe his sound also had something to do with his finger picking style?
He predominantly played the Rickenbacker, but it was heavily modified. Honestly, i think somewhere in the world a baby kitten died when he replaced the neck pickup with a Thunderbird p/u.

He uses a reasonable amount of distortion for his normal play tone, but for Anesthesia he cranked it up so high, apparently Kirk and James mistook him for a guitar player when they first met him.

Anyways, since this is a Cliff thread, The Fitzy Alarm should be ringing soon...
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
Actually, he recorded Master of Puppets with the Aria Black n' Gold bass. I'm pretty sure they miked his amp as well, a Mesa D180 through Mesa 4x12 and custom 1x15 cabs. Don't believe the idiots who tell you he used a Mesa 400+; it wasn't even around until mid-1989, about three years after he died.

Also, Cliff's growl and distortion came from the D180, which featured a potent guitar channel with a great distortion tone.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by mountaindew88
Actually, he recorded Master of Puppets with the Aria Black n' Gold bass. I'm pretty sure they miked his amp as well, a Mesa D180 through Mesa 4x12 and custom 1x15 cabs. Don't believe the idiots who tell you he used a Mesa 400+; it wasn't even around until mid-1989, about three years after he died.

Also, Cliff's growl and distortion came from the D180, which featured a potent guitar channel with a great distortion tone.

Pretty much the nail on the head, buy an OD pedal or a distortion pedal which lets you key in the mount of distortion; so you can get your bass to growl.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Allright thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the help
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
He predominantly played the Rickenbacker, but it was heavily modified. Honestly, i think somewhere in the world a baby kitten died when he replaced the neck pickup with a Thunderbird p/u.

You're thinking of Lemmy, mang.
Quote by Fuzzbone
You're thinking of Lemmy, mang.

...Theres a difference?

Yeah i messed up on the TBird part, but i do remember something about him replacing one of the pick ups with a Gibson part. Either way, some small innocent woodland creature died as a result of Cliff's Anesthesia tone.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
As much as I love cliff's playing, to me, his tone got worse every album. Or, at least less audible.
The "clankiness" he gets is the agression used when playing on the strings. Think Steve Harris.
That's all I can say.
That, and by MoP, he was using an Aria or Amlembic bass, instead of his rick.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I have an Aria Pro II Black 'n Gold and I don't play any Cliff Burton.
I should prol'z learn some.
I like rap, feel free to use that as an argument against me.