I know about Melodyne and Adobe Audition, but they're really bulky. Anyone know a quick and dirty plug-in that gets the job done?
Auto Tune?

It's not really an easy task, you're going to have to do some tweaking to get decent results.
There is poetry in despair.
a friend of mine used to use Antares auto-tune.

its a fairly old plugin so it might not be well supported anymore.. but it was pretty good for its time.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by fridge_raider
Auto Tune?

It's not really an easy task, you're going to have to do some tweaking to get decent results.

I used this plug-in on Pro Tools in a studio once, but can't remember what it's called. Auto-tuning was as easy as specifying the strength with which the vocals are dragged to the nearest note, and attack/release of the effect. That might've been Pro Tools HD-only though.

Quote by Kivarenn82
a friend of mine used to use Antares auto-tune.

its a fairly old plugin so it might not be well supported anymore.. but it was pretty good for its time.

Thanks, seems there's newer versions. http://www.antarestech.com/
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Feb 13, 2009,
^Fair enough, but there is usually some tweaking needs doing to get it sounding realistic, or at least I thought there was in most instances. I'd try Auto Tune then, it's pretty much a standard.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
^Fair enough, but there is usually some tweaking needs doing to get it sounding realistic, or at least I thought there was in most instances. I'd try Auto Tune then, it's pretty much a standard.

Well, that depends on the singers ability to stay on pitch, or even hit the right notes at all. I just want perfect pitch for harmonies. Other than that, I don't need auto-tuning.
antares auto tune. done. awesome.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Does anyone here not realise what auto-tune does to your sound?

If you wanna do chris brown, autotune
if you want to NOT here the pitch correction, melodyne, much more natural, handles vibrato better, cheaper (just get the plugin version) and many professionals prefer it. I dunno i've used autotune and its never particularly subtle. I use it for efx (i got the vocal efx plugin) Test out demos first, best way to find out.
Quote by doommaker
Does anyone here not realise what auto-tune does to your sound?

If you wanna do chris brown, autotune
if you want to NOT here the pitch correction, melodyne, much more natural, handles vibrato better, cheaper (just get the plugin version) and many professionals prefer it. I dunno i've used autotune and its never particularly subtle. I use it for efx (i got the vocal efx plugin) Test out demos first, best way to find out.

Thanks for the advice. It's hard to decide. I kinda like the tone you get from obvious auto-tuning. It's sorta like a hiss, almost like tube saturation.
what are some settings for antares that are more natural? i mainly use it for a little roboty effect but i need to use it for normal singing in a song im recording and yeah
If you mess with its effects, you can create the T-Pain effect. It's good if you don't want to focus on the performance bit by bit...

Melodyne though, is amazing.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Antares auto-tune will give you a vocal processed sound. Think; Attack Attack! We Came As Romans, Anchors Away and then other genres like Lil' Wayne and T-pain use it, too. So, it'll give you a sound that's signature. I want to get it, I like the sound it produces and if you're going for an electronic noise ( Full of keys, or electric drums ) then this will help you get it a lot.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Melodyne though, is amazing.

I fully agree. That said though, you can get good and relatively transparent results from Autotune if you use graphic mode. Auto mode never works as well as one would hope but with some hard, painstaking work in the graphic mode you can do OK stuff. Still not as good as Melodyne though.
Melodyne was used on "viva la vida".

'Nuff said.

Chris Martin can sing! (or aparently not...but on the record he can)
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I found a freeware one a while ago, seemed to do the job okay. Buggered if I can remember the name though.

Just google 'freeware autotune', you'll get tons of stuff.
Quote by happyhomie123
antares is nothing compared to melodyne...

having used both, Auto-Tune is more transparent if you just want normal pitch correction, Melodyne is a lot more versatile for more extreme pitch editing, but it's not as transparent and a lot more difficult to use.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm