I've spent hours trying to dial in a good punk/metalcore tone, but I just can't seem to hit this nail on the head, so I'm finally just going to beg for UG's help.

Essentially, what I can't ever seem to find is that nice hi-gain, but smooth lead tone in a lot of 'core and punk solos and riffs (think the lead parts in Alexisonfire's "Hey it's Your Funeral Mama" or verses in This Could Be Anywhere in the World, Rise Against songs like Long Forgotten Sons or even Seventy Times Seven By Brand New).

Between my Jazz Chorus and DN-2 Dyna Drive I can certainly push a nice amount of air, but even with a bit of reverb and even a tad of tone rolled off I can only seem to get it to go one of two ways – either rough, abrasive and ear splitting (a nice rhythm tone actually) or too subdued, not enough highs and unlikely to cut through in a mix.

Someone care to enlighten me? Where am I going wrong? What's stopping me from having that pleasant roundess to my hi-gain leads? Are there any good articles on punk tone that you can show me?

TL;DR – my lead tone sucks when I crank my settings, can only get good rhythm tone
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I learned that there are easy ways to waste your life away when all you have is a computer and a world full of people putting new and interesting things on their boners.

Wow, I've been here for a while.
Punk =/= lead. Really The Clash are/were the only punk band with a two-guitar lineup. If you must though, buy a MIM telecaster. Their underrated guitars, and really they cut through as lead instruments in all genres IMO.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Not to sound like a snob, but I LOL every time someone asks a question about "punk" playing.
If you have to ask, you don't get it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Not to sound like a snob, but I LOL every time someone asks a question about "punk" playing.
If you have to ask, you don't get it.

dude give him a break. he's not asking about how to make a ****ing his guitar punk or something he's asking about tone. and if you don't want to help him don't post on his thread
To the people that are saying "punk has no leads" in this thread, melodic hardcore punk and some pop punk actually have leads, so you people know. Listen to NOFX, Lagwagon, and Zebrahead if you want to see punk leads.

If you want to change settings for leads, use an EQ pedal. Experiment with one and see which settings give you the best lead tone. That is the best advice I can give you if you don't want to get a different amp or guitar.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by necrosis1193
Punk =/= lead. Really The Clash are/were the only punk band with a two-guitar lineup. If you must though, buy a MIM telecaster. Their underrated guitars, and really they cut through as lead instruments in all genres IMO.

Don't listen to this guy. He is extremely dumb.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by necrosis1193

Have you been living under a rock for your whole life?
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Don't listen to this guy. He is extremely dumb.

I've just never heard many punk bands with lead is all. Don't call me dumb for having an opinion that contrast. I do apologize for saying that though, it was somewhat daft.

Quote by tmfiore
Have you been living under a rock for your whole life?

Looking at my musical taste, that's actually quite possible.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
get a Boss Metalzone or something of the sort. It doesn't mud up your tone, believe it or not.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by Emoishboy
get a Boss Metalzone or something of the sort. It doesn't mud up your tone, believe it or not.

I heard they are actually good for punk. On Newgrounds there is this guy who uploads punk songs to the audio portal and uses a Metal Zone, and his tone is awesome.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Yes as weird as it sounds the boss metal zone is awesome for punk, I used to use a Strat with a Duncan JB in the bridge with a Boss Metalzone, come to find out later this was Billie Joe Armstrongs early set up for the dookie album. Also El Heffe and Melvin from NOFX used this set up for a while and recorded with it on so long and thanks for all the shoes. The queers use a Metalzone as well. Also the Boss Blues driver with the gain cranked really fills out the tone and gives you plenty of drive!
Wow, well I might have to test a Metal Zone out one of these days, though it seems I'm already swimming in drive pedals.

The suggestions about Fenders though did cause me to remember that I am using a set of Duncan humbuckers. So naturally I'm going to have trouble doing hi-gain without a lot of rough sparkle and breakup I guess.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
I learned that there are easy ways to waste your life away when all you have is a computer and a world full of people putting new and interesting things on their boners.

Wow, I've been here for a while.
Maaaan, too many people are ignorant about punk just because it's more simple...on paper.

For a good lead punk tone, try using the bridge pickup, full tone, high mids and treble with a knocked back bass, a moderate amount of gain and some aggressive pick technique. Let me know how that works out for you and we can go from there.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
May I know what's TLDR?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Broken-pick
May I know what's TLDR?

too long; didn't read. he added that little tl;dr bit at the end for people who were too lazy to read the whole post.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by matocaster
Yes as weird as it sounds the boss metal zone is awesome for punk, I used to use a Strat with a Duncan JB in the bridge with a Boss Metalzone, come to find out later this was Billie Joe Armstrongs early set up for the dookie album. Also El Heffe and Melvin from NOFX used this set up for a while and recorded with it on so long and thanks for all the shoes. The queers use a Metalzone as well. Also the Boss Blues driver with the gain cranked really fills out the tone and gives you plenty of drive!

Damn, I have to try one of those out after I get my new amp.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by necrosis1193
I've just never heard many punk bands with lead is all. Don't call me dumb for having an opinion that contrast. I do apologize for saying that though, it was somewhat daft.

Looking at my musical taste, that's actually quite possible.

That wasn't an opinion, it was ignorance.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by necrosis1193

Telecasters are good for punk though, probably the only thing he said that wasn't full of fail.

IMO the clash sounded like a bunch of barking seals, I never saw what was so great about them.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD

Telecasters are good for punk though, probably the only thing he said that wasn't full of fail.

IMO the clash sounded like a bunch of barking seals, I never saw what was so great about them.

I never liked the Clash, but they did THEIR thing and they did it well. Gotta respect that.

And I mean, come on, they were better than Beat Happening (which I still don't get AT ALL!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oljL1zbGkTY

I mean seriously, read the reviews, people love them! *shrugs*
    Quote by sugapablo
    I never liked the Clash, but they did THEIR thing and they did it well. Gotta respect that.

And I mean, come on, they were better than Beat Happening (which I still don't get AT ALL!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oljL1zbGkTY

I mean seriously, read the reviews, people love them! *shrugs*

I do respect whatever it is they did for music. When it comes to early punk ive always just preferred the ramones and the stooges
    Quote by Bloodavian
    Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^