Page 1 of 2
I've always wondered this. We don't really hear about cancer in history. What happened? Why is cancer so big now?
Om nom nom nom!
Well, it's very slimming.

But more likely because of food ingredients, radioactive material in the atmosphere and environment, and various other things that are popping up that probably make your chances go up.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
because it wasn't discovered to be a major problem until fairly recently. It also wasn't treatable until fairly recently.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by halvies
because we have the technology these days to detect more types of cancer more often than we did in the past

Quote by dullsilver_mike
People actually live longer than the age of 35 now, so their opportunity for developing cancer is quite a bit larger.

These two = truth.
we didn't acknowledge gravity until it was given a name.

doesn't mean it wasn't there before that.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'd imagine it would have been easily misdiagnosed prior to recent medical developments. But that's speculation, I don't have real answer.
We're only strays.
people are living longer and lifestyles are changing more

people are probably smoking less now than they were back in the day, which was a Wednesday
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Because all those damn hipsters are trying to make it cool.....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Marijuana is related to the most aggressive form of testicular cancer, a recent study shows.
Plus, we have a much wider range of media now, then we had just 50 years ago.
There probably was cases of cancer before, although at a smaller scale, but people here more about it these days, since the media coverage is bigger, there's a ton of newspapers, magazines and the fact that just about everyone with a Ph.d. is putting out a book these days + the internet.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Because the government is microwaving our brains via the propagation mobile phones, in order to subdue the populace; cancer research funds are actually put towards bio-weapon research for the alien war, which will end in the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse.
i think it's because hundreds of years ago they weren't able to diagnose cancer. but also our unhealthy lifestyle contributes a fair bit to it.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by acecroc
Marijuana is related to the most aggressive form of testicular cancer, a recent study shows.

This man speaks the truth!

*lights spliff*
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
because in the past people died of something else before they could die of cancer
nothing.
It's actually written all through history. The problem, we didn't know much about it. Sure we could see tumors, but we had no evidence of cancerous cells. That in itself is quite recent.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

You're right in one point. But consider this, radiations causes the growth of cancerous cells and we're exposed to all kind of radiations in our days, our cellphones for example, they issue radiation, and we hang with them pretty much all the time, so it's safe to say that the possibility of getting cancer these days is way bigger than 50-100+ years ago.
because it has too much trans fat in it
cancer so BIG get it

fail hard.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Quote by cr4ni0
You're right in one point. But consider this, radiations causes the growth of cancerous cells and we're exposed to all kind of radiations in our days, our cellphones for example, they issue radiation, and we hang with them pretty much all the time, so it's safe to say that the possibility of getting cancer these days is way bigger than 50-100+ years ago.

radiation isn't the only cause of cancer
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

good explanation
Quote by HaKattack
Woman tone, eh?

Set treble to PUT THE TOILET SEAT DOWN WHEN YOU'RE DONE
Mids to YOU'RE DRIVING TOO FAST
Bass to WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "MAKE ME A SANDWICH"?
Gain to NOT TONIGHT, I HAVE A HEADACHE.

starter of the nadsat group
It's spreading...
Quote by necrosis1193
John Entwistle once in a while. I had to try to find him when I saw The Who two years ago.

Quote by sticksause
butthose bagpipes sound awesome.
Quote by acecroc

I've had my balls checked twice by a doctor, and he said they're perfectly healthy.

Even still, totally worth it.
Quote by cr4ni0

Not quite, the chances are still just as high.
Smoking, snuff, heavy metals (lead, mercury, etc...), asbestos, there are also tons of chemicals that we have scaled down the use of that were used years ago that were, and still are related to causing cancer.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
radiation isn't the only cause of cancer

I never said it was.

I was just pointing out one of the reasons why cancer affects people more these days.
Why is leporacy (sp?) so unheard of now when we heard of it all the time back then?
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
It wasn't diagnosable until recently duh
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by lushacrous
Why is leporacy (sp?) so unheard of now when we heard of it all the time back then?

There's a cure for it. I can't remember the name of it now, but I wrote a paper on it in pharmacology.
There was a colony on some island near Hawaii I believe (anyone with it was sent there), and essentially the guy went there and gave all these immunisations. Every one on the island ended up getting better.

EDIT:
Rifampin
Dapsone
Clofazimine
Those are 3 of them, I'll go look for my report and post back what I wrote it on.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar

Quote by gsr2k6
Last edited by exiledsoul at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by Spachula
I've always wondered this. We don't really hear about cancer in history. What happened? Why is cancer so big now?

1) The world is different. Lifestyles are different, our environment is different.

2) They didn't know what the **** cancer is.

3) Mostly #2

EDIT: After reading the title again, I decided "Cancer is so big now because all the cool kids have it." /lame
Last edited by dudius at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by acecroc

research things before you beleive them. I looked into that study, all they did was survery patients with testicular cancer, and ask them if they had smoked marijuana.
Lack of physical activity, and things like pollution, and food in plastic containers...
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Cellphones?

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|