Page 1 of 2
hello UG!

my birthday is in 20 days and my parents said they'd pay for half of my new amp

i play mostly metal like bullet for my valentine. but also things like, idk Ozzy Osbourne.... less overdrive stuff.

anyways! my teacher said to get a peavey classic 30!? with a tube screamer for the overdrive ill need for doing metal core. i thought what the **** a classic 30 for metal?

for like 800 bucks, is really a peavey classic 30 with a tube screamer the best choice for my style? (metal with some rock) :S

i need to know soon for my birthday wish....

edit: i play mainly in my bedroom... i might eventually play on some sort of stage
Last edited by allskillage at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by bulletrocks522
Hell, no 800$??? Get a used 5150 head and a Vader 2x12.

the amps 660 plus tax and the screamer is 159.99
Nothing in your price range will beat a 5150 with a Vader cab for Metal. Espeacially no a Classic 30 with TS-9. TS-9's dont have enough gain for metal anyways.
+1 foar teh 5150.............
im saving up fir a 6505+ combo myself
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by bulletrocks522
Nothing in your price range will beat a 5150 with a Vader cab for Metal. Espeacially no a Classic 30 with TS-9. TS-9's dont have enough gain for metal anyways.

im in canada. how much will a 5150 with a vader cost? and will it be quiet enough for the bedroom lol
about $500-700 used on Ebay......
and if you put it to vol 2 then it will be OK foar Bedroom
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
about $500-700 used on Ebay......

ebay is not an option sadly. nothing on the internet my parents r to careful
Quote by allskillage
ebay is not an option sadly. nothing on the internet my parents r to careful

look them up in your nearest Music store then
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
look them up in your nearest Music store then

thanks man, is peavey classic 30 really **** for metal?

oh and dude im new to the whole stacking thing lol.. how does it even work. ive never had anything better then a fender 15w lol.. and it CANNOT do metal... does the 5150 still make noise?... or do u need the bottom speaker thing.. im sorry im really new to the idea.
Quote by allskillage

oh and dude im new to the whole stacking thing lol.. how does it even work. ive never had anything better then a fender 15w lol.. and it CANNOT do metal... does the 5150 still make noise?... or do u need the bottom speaker thing.. im sorry im really new to the idea.

classic 30's can get good metal sounds, if you boost their distortion with a bad monkey (a cheaper tubescreamer alternative) or pretty much any overdrive. and yes, you need a cabinet to use a head
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by allskillage

You can't use a head without a cab(bottom thing)
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
To hijack the thread a bit, how would a Peavey Classic 30 sound with a metal distortion pedal through it? Something like a Metal Muff just for comparison?
I'm personally a fan of the Classic 30 but I'm not sure why your teacher would recommend it when you could get a hi-gain amp designed for hi-gain music.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InfiniteRain
To hijack the thread a bit, how would a Peavey Classic 30 sound with a metal distortion pedal through it? Something like a Metal Muff just for comparison?

good, but simply boosting it with a bad monkey would probably sound better especially if you want something natural, crisp, and tight. the metal muff sounds very warm, and pretty br00tal with a nice amp, but it can get pretty muddy and fizzy on several occasions.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
don't hijack my thread. now that Ive got more peoples attention. what is the best amp idea for around 800 dollars Canadian. ( i cannot buy from ebay)

does the 5150 give a lot better metal tones then the classic 30 with a pedal or screamer?
Quote by allskillage

1:Yup, the Peavey Classic is NOT good for metal but if you ad a distortion pedal in front of it then it MIGHT do some metal BUT you will be better off with the 5150.

2:there are two versions of the 5150, there is a combo and the head:

the head is just the amp and you need a cab(the thing with the speakers)
REMEMBER- DON'T PLUG IN THE HEAD WITHOUT A CAB ATTACHED TO IT !!!!

the COMBO is the thing where the AMP and the CAB are in one unit.......

3: yes ALL amps make noise
if you mean feedback then you need to buy a noise suppressor to KILL TEH NOIZ

Quote by allskillage

does the 5150 give a lot better metal tones then the classic 30 with a pedal or screamer?

the 5150 does metal BETTER then the Classic even with a pedal...... just to make you want it some more , EVH designed them.......
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by allskillage
don't hijack my thread. now that Ive got more peoples attention. what is the best amp idea for around 800 dollars Canadian. ( i cannot buy from ebay)

In short, yes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
good, but simply boosting it with a bad monkey would probably sound better especially if you want something natural, crisp, and tight. the metal muff sounds very warm, and pretty br00tal with a nice amp, but it can get pretty muddy and fizzy on several occasions.

Alright thanks. I had to order a C30, and it hasn't arrived, and even though I don't play metal much, it is sometimes nice to break into some heavier distortion. I don't have much experience with it yet so it's good to hear these things =]
thanks guys i love this forum lol... so theres a 5150 with a... to simplify it ... a built in speaker? or you can just buy the top and add your own speaker?( the thing with the speakers in it... )

hmm... can someone send me a link with the one with the built in speaker lol? im sorry im such a pain but my teacher is basically telling me to buy the C30 with a TS
feel free to add me
Quote by allskillage
thanks guys i love this forum lol... so theres a 5150 with a... to simplify it ... a built in speaker? or you can just buy the top and add your own speaker?( the thing with the speakers in it... )

hmm... can someone send me a link with the one with the built in speaker lol? im sorry im such a pain but my teacher is basically telling me to buy the C30 with a TS

Yeah, but the speakers in it are crap, and its heavy as hell. Vader 2x12's are $400 new. 5150 heads are around 500-750 used. If you want, you could get the combo and have it split, and get 2 Celestion V30's (replacment speakers).
Quote by allskillage

the peavey 5150 conbo is how much $ in canada?
Quote by allskillage
the peavey 5150 conbo is how much $ in canada?

about $400-$500
feel free to add me
i like the price of the combo. so the speakers in it r ****? :'( well would the combo do me good enough with my metal until i can afford to put new speakers in it? i got 500$ and my parents will donate like 300 or less for my birthday
Quote by allskillage
i like the price of the combo. so the speakers in it r ****? :'( well would the combo do me good enough with my metal until i can afford to put new speakers in it? i got 500$ and my parents will donate like 300 or less for my birthday

Well, new speakers (Celestion v30's are the best) would be $220, and you could use the extra 80$ for installation, or you could install them yourself and use that $80 for a Digitech Bad Monkey to use as a boost, so your set. Take a look at the roster list for the 5150, pretty much every metal band uses it (BFMV, JFAC, The Haunted, In Flames, Trivium, Unearth). Look at the roster: http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116180/6505(R)%20Head.cfm

Peavey 5150 + Celestion V30's + Bad Monkey = GODLIKE metal tones.

EDIT: Yeah, the 5150 Combo will do fine with metal stock, just wayyyy better with V30's
Quote by bulletrocks522
Well, new speakers (Celestion v30's are the best) would be $220, and you could use the extra 80$ for installation, or you could install them yourself and use that $80 for a Digitech Bad Monkey to use as a boost, so your set. Take a look at the roster list for the 5150, pretty much every metal band uses it (BFMV, JFAC, The Haunted, In Flames, Trivium, Unearth). Look at the roster: http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116180/6505(R)%20Head.cfm

Peavey 5150 + Celestion V30's + Bad Monkey = GODLIKE metal tones.

EDIT: Yeah, the 5150 Combo will do fine with metal stock, just wayyyy better with V30's

thats what i was about to say.............
slow typing FTL.........
feel free to add me
you guys kick ass thanks for the help. so, try to find a store near me to sell me a peavey 5150 combo for like 500 bucks, replace speakers with celestion v30's for 250 bucks. the 50 extra for tax. and if i get a deal on the first two get a "bad monkey". what the hell is that? some kinda of OD pedal?
Quote by allskillage
you guys kick ass thanks for the help. so, try to find a store near me to sell me a peavey 5150 combo for like 500 bucks, replace speakers with celestion v30's for 250 bucks. the 50 extra for tax. and if i get a deal on the first two get a "bad monkey". what the hell is that? some kinda of OD pedal?

you are 100% right
feel free to add me
that kicks royal ass! man if my teacher tells me to still get the C30 with tube screamer ima kick him in the ass. he says you cant get good information on the internet because all of the good players are to busy playing to be typing. but i trust u guys :P... and thoughts on a good axe to shred with this combo?.. for next birthday :P
Last edited by bulletrocks522 at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by allskillage
that kicks royal ass! man if my teacher tells me to still get the C30 with tube screamer ima kick him in the ass. he says you cant get good information on the internet because all of the good players are to busy playing to be typing. but i trust u guys :P... and thoughts on a good axe to shred with this combo?.. for next birthday :P

What do you play with now?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
What do you play with now?

jackson dinky DK2S i bought it for $350 6 months ago

its alright but it think its an older model or something

it has sustainer and licensed tremolo but i has duncan designed humbucker and middle pickup.

its also boring red :P
Quote by bulletrocks522

omg thanks. i have links to send my mom :P
Quote by allskillage

and go look on some Schecters and ESPs with EMGs for a metal guitar.....
im also saving up for a Jackson Rhodes
feel free to add me
Quote by allskillage

LOL, good luck!!! That ebay 5150 is an amazing deal especially with new JJ tubes. Normally, 5150 combos are around 500$ used, and JJ's ar around 100-200$, so your like getting 300-400$ off.
Just to add on to what everyone said, the 6505 is definitely better for metal, but that's it. The c30 destroys it with a great clean and classic crunch sound, and it can do some DECENT/GOOD metal tones with a boost.

If your just looking for brootal in your face distortion, then there's no doubt that the 6505 is THE amp for the brootz, but if you need more versatility, than the c30 with a boost would be right for you.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
oh another thing. my bedroom is not that big. the 5150 is quiet enough right? i live in a farm so its not the neighbors but i dont like the house to shake

going to bed ill check this thread in the morning thanks guys
Page 1 of 2