I jam once a week with a bassist and we're looking for a drummer, our main focus on writing original songs of our favorite varieties of rock and metal.

We intend on playing shows, and I would like the option of being able to play atleast small outdoor fairs and festivals should the option present itself, so my only option is to get a new amp.

I know that building a computer by buying separate parts and putting them in yourself is generally cheaper and will get you more bang for your buck than if you were to buy something from dell or hp.

Using the same logic, I'm wondering if it would work the same with buying a new amp, that if I bought say Preamp A and Power Amp B, plus other essentials I should know about, would I end up with a better rig for cheaper than if I was to buy a brand name half stack?
Last edited by PlayingWithFood at Feb 13, 2009,
You would have to know exactly what you wanted. The individual components, pre amp and power amp aren't outrageously expensive. But when you buy a pre amp and a power amp that don't sound good together and you keep having to buy new ones it starts getting expensive. Combos and stacks are way more convenient, but racks are very customizable.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You would. One of my students is an electrical engineer and he builds amps and pedals all the time. Its a lot of work and a lot of time. But the end result is something that sounds exactly the way you want it to. There's lots of plans on the internet to follow so as long as you know what you're doing then you should be able to do it.
Get on top of my coffin woman.
Buying rack gear will be generally more expensive, depending on what you want. You can put together a pretty cool solid state rack for cheap, but don't expect a cheap all tube rack.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
A budget rack is certainly possible, but you would not end up with better components than your average high-end tube amp for a lesser price.

Amps are a bit like cars...the sum of the parts is equal to more than the whole.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Well what I am aiming for is a very versatile setup with a decent volume. I won't be buying anything without a lot of research into it, but I want to know whether I'm wasting my time.

I don't really care whether it's tube or solid state, as long as it would carry a good tone with some flexibility for styles.

That being said, I don't know anything about brands or models, so some mentions of good ones would be appreciated..
On a budget, you are better off getting a decent combo amp and some rack effects to add the versatility you desire. Or... You could buy a higher end modeling amp which would likely be cheaper in the end than creating a rack, amp, cab, effects, etc. Now you could pick up a miss-match of preamp and power amp off of fleabay or clist, but you really won't know what it would sound like until you are at home unless you've done extensive research. (Which I realize you are trying to do now).
I bet if you were playing metal, a SS power amp would be fine, with a tube preamp it would sound great ( i'm willing to bet it)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by PlayingWithFood
Well what I am aiming for is a very versatile setup with a decent volume. I won't be buying anything without a lot of research into it, but I want to know whether I'm wasting my time.

I don't really care whether it's tube or solid state, as long as it would carry a good tone with some flexibility for styles.

That being said, I don't know anything about brands or models, so some mentions of good ones would be appreciated..

Honestly, if you're looking to experiment with extreme versatility on a sort-of budget, you should look into Line 6 Pods and Atomic Amps.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
when you all say Cheap and Expensive what kind of price range is that, like
is cheap 500$ or 5000$???? i know it can vary but at least a general figure could be useful.
Last edited by mitchbabineau at Mar 4, 2009,
How much are you willing to spend? Let's get that first.

I'm trying to build a fairly low-price rack too, so you tell me how much you have to spend and we can help you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
$8000? Mate, budget won't be any problem for you at all.

Unless you meant $800 (which I'm assuming), in which case, do you have a cabinet already?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
yeah if you got 8000 bucks you can buy just about anything
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
How much does Australian convert into USD?
Id say for versatility i recomend a Peavey JSX myself.
But another thing to really consider is what genres do you need it for?
Hello if someone could advise me to a nice rack setup that i should get, i'm still new to this whole Rack thing. I currently have a

Behringer - ULTRASTACK BG412V Cabinet with a V-TONE GMX1200H Head
I am buying Zoom G9.2tt effects pedal soon
and i have an Ibanez Sz720 and Ibanez S470

I want to get a rack with many many many effects but i'm looking for a very soft jazz tone with the ability to overdrive to shred. I'm looking to budget to about 5000-8000$ Australian. if anyone can help me out that would be much appreciated. I'm a really big fan of Mike Oldfield's Guitar tone as well as EVH (van Halen) i really love effects and thats the biggest part, but i don't want the effects to determentaly sacrifice tone. I would also like to be able to control with the Midi floor pedal and i like the idea of emulation of other instruments (eg. violin, sax, etc.)

Thanks for your time
Quote by shadow__666
$8000? Mate, budget won't be any problem for you at all.

Unless you meant $800 (which I'm assuming), in which case, do you have a cabinet already?

haha yea i meant 8000$, not 800$, well good to hear budgets not a problem
Carvin T100 tube power amps are very inexpensive on the used market. Usually less than $300 (the newer TS100 usually goes for around $400).

You can get a brand new Digitech GSP1101 for $374 on ebay right now. A used Midi Mate shouldn't cost more than about $125. Figure $50 for a used power conditioner and $150 for a DJK 4 space rack case.

Kendall's recommended budget rack rig ~ $999

It can be done much cheaper, using an older non-Midi pre and a solid state power amp, but I have standards.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Wow, with 8000 dollars, even AUD, you should be able to get whatever you want. This isn't the gear page, when someone says budget we start thinking well under a grand. You my friend are only on a "budget" in the literal since that your budget is 8000 dollars.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
well what does that come to in USD? also, im guessing rack gear is even more expensive than normal guitar gear in australia, seeing how there wouldnt be that much of a demand for it.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
well what does that come to in USD? also, im guessing rack gear is even more expensive than normal guitar gear in australia, seeing how there wouldnt be that much of a demand for it.

8000 AUD is around 5 grand US.
The problem we have now is not currency conversion, it's the availability of products we can recommend in Australia, and the inflated prices because of the poor distribution. Australia gets raped on gear.
But do remember that prices are jacked up down there, I've heard of Valvekings going for the equivalent of 1000 USD.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by bartdevil_metal
The problem we have now is not currency conversion, it's the availability of products we can recommend in Australia, and the inflated prices because of the poor distribution. Australia gets raped on gear.

that was my point.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
that seems like a very large amount. do you wanna spend all that? i mean, by all means if you do, you can get great gear. but you said youre not gigging yet, and will probably be soon. either way, i don't reccomend a rack. if you want a great versatile amp for cheap, look at the line 6 flextone. but with that much, the sky's the limit - you could even get multiple amps for cleans, leads, and rhythm..
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
that seems like a very large amount. do you wanna spend all that? i mean, by all means if you do, you can get great gear. but you said youre not gigging yet, and will probably be soon. either way, i don't reccomend a rack. if you want a great versatile amp for cheap, look at the line 6 flextone. but with that much, the sky's the limit - you could even get multiple amps for cleans, leads, and rhythm..

I disagree with the Flextone recommendation with this kind of a budget, but I like the logic here. Unless you have something really specific that you need from a rack rig, it may be much wiser to invest in something like a Vetta II combo.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM