I've been playing for about a year now, and I'm just about finished putting together my first custom guitar. I've had a few guitars for like 3 years, but picked it up last april. i play a lot of attempts at dime covers, and about 1/2 through 5 minutes alone. point is, i have a 7 string ibanez and it spawned a new idea to me. a 7 string with the G and D strings doubled up like on a 12-string for harmonic purposes. is it just a plain stupid idea or do Y'all think its worth trying out. or should i double up on the 4 high strings? it's probably just a bad idea all around but if any other players thought it was worth it i'd do it after this summer. (money reasoning)
you should try it, depends how much money its gonna cost though, cuz if its a lot, and it ends up real crappy, than your out of luck, but it would be a cool thing to try.
Equiptment:

Bass: Yamaha RBX170
Amp: Fender Rumble 100
Pedal: Boss BOD-3 Bass overdrive pedal
oh, idc about the money, money can be made and lost constantly, but this could turn out crazy if it works. I"d have to make the pickups myself, though maybe not, would just seven string pickups work on it? i've never played with a 12-string before. but i would just make the bridge myself, i think one of my relatives is getting a router at some point, so i could even do one of my custom body designs with it. it just seems like this would be the guitar that when people walk past you, they turn around and go "what the hell exactly is that?"
Halo Guitars offers all their models in 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10-string form. But not having them doubled up. All independent strings Smart idea though.
well i want to be able to play out chunky mean riffs on the 4,5,6, and 7 strings. but i want a nicer melodic sound for the 1, 2, and 3 strings. plus, why have what everyone else has? does halo guitars have a website i could check out? and i would just take some 12 string saddles with regular and make a bridge, my sister would probably help, she takes welding at a tech school, so i really don't have to spent a lot to do the machinary work on this.
That'd be badass. plus, why buy one if you can make it urself, evrything is cooler if u make it urself xD
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Quote by entity0009
Animal Cracker

I'm pretty sure it's a type of noodle.
their's are different though. those ones are independent, I'm talking about fusing the melody of a 12-string with the down tuned aggressiveness of a 7 string. i don't need ten different strings, i just want to go low with a 7th and have some crazy melody going on the high strings, plus, as my dad says, i like to waste my money. my question is, on like a 12 string do you use a 6 string pickup or do i use a pickup style like the bill lawrence xl500, with the metal going acrossed it? i just need to know if i should build my own pickups. i'll put pics up of a couple body designs when i get the chance, most likely after the weekend though =/
left my drawings at home
A 10 string......Hmmmmm,I'm kinda intrigued by the possibilities of basically being able to play bass and guitar with the same instrument.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

that wasn't what i was aiming for, but not a bad idea in all, you could run it through like a double necked gibson, but instead of a 12 string and 6 string you could put a 6 string an the bass on the other neck.
why not do a 14 string guitar?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by blandguitar
I'm talking about fusing the melody of a 12-string with the down tuned aggressiveness of a 7 string. i don't need ten different strings, i just want to go low with a 7th and have some crazy melody going on the high strings

that's why
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']beat you to it ^^^

That XSI is a bitch, btw. I'd love to play that thing.

What would that thing be tuned to??
if i'm not mistaken BC rich has a 10 string. the DGBE strings are doubled while the E and A are singular.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
That might actually be very cool. Probably wouldn't take too much reworking of say a 7 string strat style bridge. You could replace the E B and G saddles with 12 string saddles, feed your regular 7 strings through the body and the doubles through the back of the bridge like you can in a hardtail strat bridge. Would that work do you think?
Btw, didn't jackson make a 10 string rhoads at one point? kinda like what you're suggesting wih the E and A strings as singles and the DGBE as doubles.
Double the lower strings and tune them so they produce power chords. I did it to my 12-string and it pwned.
Some really clever guy at my school a few years ago (he must be like 21 now) made a 9 string, it was awesome too
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by melton100
What would that thing be tuned to??

According to a video from Waylon Ford himself, it's tuned at a low C# to a high A and has a 32.5 inch scale

Rosewood fingerboard, 27 jumbo frets, Neck-thru, mahogany construction, dual truss rods (of course), EMG custom10-string pickups, custom KAHLER FLOATING 10-STRING BRIDGE N-Tune electronic tuning system built into a push/pull configuration in the volume knob, locking nut selector switch, one tone knob.

Lists for $5000, can be found for $4000 And also all built in the USA, right in Houston Texas

*Also, the Kahler bridge is a hybrid, meaning it has the option to be locked down as a hardtail or left open to be a floating bridge trem. Also, not sure if this is standard with Kahler trems, but the model on the XSI has the adjustment for spring tension actually built into the bridge, so much eliminating the need for the whole back panel and all that.

All of this can be seen on the video, btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIVhZSc1LY

EDIT: I forgot to add that there are Gotoh tuners collaborating with the N-Tune system. Also,In another video I found, he confirms that it is tuned (lo-hi) C#-F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A. Basically it's you regular E-Standard Eight string scale with an added low C# and high A note. probably need some bass strings when restringing it.

At some points, it's almost too Spinal Tap to bear, and you can also hear some John Petrucci "Phycho Exercises" kinda stuff in there
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Kivarenn82
if i'm not mistaken BC rich has a 10 string. the DGBE strings are doubled while the E and A are singular.

Correct... The octaved strings are tuned at the ass-end, which I think looks lame but is still pretty clever.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Correct... The octaved strings are tuned at the ass-end, which I think looks lame but is still pretty clever.

i like my idea better than bc rich's, personally. mine'll all go to the headstock to tune, and it'll have an extra B for added crunch. B E A (d)D (g)G bb ee

the ones in parenthesis are because i'm not sure if i want it to be a 9 or 11 string, either way, it'd be badassed.
the guy from high on fire has a 9 string

tuned standard i believe, with octave-tuned high 3 strings
Quote by blandguitar
what do you mean by octave tuned?

well like the G, B, and e strings are tuned an octave higher like a 12 string.

he shreds that thing to
Quote by blandguitar
nice, does it require different gauges or is it the same as the others? sorry, i've never really toyed with a 12-string, this idea just came into my head one day.

the extra strings would be super thin compared to the low E on a 12 string.

but im pretty sure that since only the g, b and e have the double strings, they would just be tuned the same, so basically having two standard g, b and e strings super close. If they are too thin they will break easy.

tbh i dont see very much point in doing it for the average guy to play on.
Quote by blandguitar
i like my idea better than bc rich's, personally. mine'll all go to the headstock to tune, and it'll have an extra B for added crunch. B E A (d)D (g)G bb ee

the ones in parenthesis are because i'm not sure if i want it to be a 9 or 11 string, either way, it'd be badassed.

Of course... What we're getting at is that the general concept of pairing only a few of the strings is totally reasonable and tried out. Doo eet!
It sounds like a cool concept, you would need to look into the measurements of both the existing tailpiece and the new one for the 12 string variant. Plus a new nut would be needed and new holes for the extra tuning pegs. If you have the know how into modding guitars then i suggest going for it, but i would imagine it would take quite a bit of experience and general know-how to pull off something like this.

I would get in touch with some of the more experienced luthiers in the GB+C section, combined you can probably get a more detailed plan of action really.

Good luck man, it's risky but if it takes off then it will be a very interesting instrument
Quote by Amarant
Double the lower strings and tune them so they produce power chords. I did it to my 12-string and it pwned.

Nice idea! Opens up many new options!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO