The standard nut widths I'm seeing are 1-5/8" (41.27mm) and 1-11/16" (42.85mm) with the width at the 22nd fret generally at 2-3/16" (55.56mm).

Is there really that big of a difference in playability/feel in a width change as small as 1.58mm? Is a wider or thinner neck better for different styles? I just checked the widths on a couple of my guitars, and they vary as much as about 1.5mm, and I can't really feel a difference....I never have been a huge fan of the feel of those "wide-flat" prestige Ibanez style necks, even though my main styles is technical and high speed, i.e. shred, so what's the deal?

Why are there different nut and neck widths, and is a wider or thinner neck more suited for different styles?

Never really cared to think about this until I started working out some scaling issues on an upcoming project.

Input por favor!
lol. what a dumb question
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
^**** you.
And, to tell you the truth, Lumberjack, I haven't given this a lot of thought. It is quite possible, but who knows?
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Personally I would have said it's more down to person preference than anything.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Well, thinner necks are generally faster. When I switched from Jackson to Schecter I had a hard time adjusting since the neck on my Jackson was way thinner.

But it all comes down to preference, really. I got used to the Schecter's thicker neck. It's ok.

As for nut width, well, I don't know. I do know that some guitars have strings that are spaced out further than others, and they feel kind of weird, but I guess maybe that would make for cleaner playing? Not sure.
Quote by littlejoy

People like you amaze me in the most veracious sense of the word.

Quote by jetfuel495
Well, thinner necks are generally faster. When I switched from Jackson to Schecter I had a hard time adjusting since the neck on my Jackson was way thinner.

But it all comes down to preference, really. I got used to the Schecter's thicker neck. It's ok.

As for nut width, well, I don't know. I do know that some guitars have strings that are spaced out further than others, and they feel kind of weird, but I guess maybe that would make for cleaner playing? Not sure.

Hahhaaaa oh no guys, I'm not talking about neck thickness VERTICALLY, I'm talking about neck thickness HORIZONTALLY. Do wider spacings allow for cleaner technique? String spacing isn't something I can change, as in my case the build will be limited by the spacing of Gotoh Floyd saddle spacing so that is somewhat of a moot point but I would just like to know.

Any further thoughts? The Strats I've got laying around have nut widths of 41mm and are 55mm at the 21rst fret, but other necks I've got are a little over 42 and 56mm's, and I can't really feel that 1-1.5mm difference....why do people make them different?
Go look at a classical guitar and tell me if you can play it easier.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by littlejoy
explain why you think the question is dumb, or just don't post.

*reported for spam*

On topic:
I think it has as much to do with the size of a person's hands/fingers as it does with musical style. And just plain personal preference.

I tend to like thin, narrow profiles.
and a small radius is great for chords, but not so much for speed.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.