So I just did a full tube replacement and bias with JJ's in my Marshall DSL401 Amp along with swapping out the stock Celestion Goldback 100W speaker for a new Celestion G12-65W. I was surprised to find that I had to raise the volume 2/3 notches on my amp to play at the same level as I did before the change.

The only difference in changing the tubes was that I got a balanced P.I. tube for the V4 position as recommended. I would'nt think that would effect volume but I'm not that clued up on the ins and outs of amp circutry.

I realise that new speakers go through a break-in period but I would have thought that this effects the voicing of the speaker not the volume. Am I wrong?.

I would add that the amp is still very useable and I like the change of tone (not so much harsh mids) I just thought that this was a little strange. Anybody got any thoughts on this.
Psst ! The fat man walks alone.
Gear :
Modded Strat w/ Iron Gear Pup's

Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401

Boss GT-10
different speakers may have different db ratings making them quieter or louder.

the G12-65 has a 97 db rating, and I believe the Goldback has a 99 db rating, although im not 100% positive
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Aye, these guys are right. Tube amps work on a logarithmic power to dB ratio where doubling the power gives only a 3 dB increase, so if you swap for a speaker that is even 3 dB lower in it's sensitivity rating, you are literally attenuating your amp by about half power.
He's right you know.

each 'notch' on your amp is roughly 1dB so 2-3 notches is the 2dB lower sesitivity of the new drive units.
This is a bad thing? You should be able to crank it more.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
This is a bad thing? You should be able to crank it more.

Indeed! I think it's a good thing, esp with a head that loud.

25 watt amp with a 100dB speaker = 50 watt amp with a 97dB speaker
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Yeah, I'm using vintage30 speakers, they are effin' loud. Enjoy the lower volume/more crankage.
WTLTL 2011