I was thinking of getting a THD Hotplate, but I play metal, and I dont need Power Tube saturatation. But, my amp (Mesa Mark III with Marshall 1960A) sounds way better cranked. Do I really need an attenuator???
^ if it sounds better to you at cranked volumes then dont buy an attenuator....
if you want an attenuator (which i think you dont) buy a Weber MASS instead....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Depends on your situtation. If you're in a band and constantly practice at loud volumes and play gigs, you don't need an attenuator. If you only play at bedroom levels or live in an apartment or something, you might want an attenuator so you get that crank tone at bedroom volume.
My Gear
Ibanez SR520EX with EMG 81/85 and boost
Peavey Valveking Head w/ Crate Blue Voodoo Cab
Peavey VB-2
Spector Euro 4
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-2
From what I understand, an attenuator will allow your amp to utilize the tubes to get a sound that is not unlike when you're at high volumes, but at low volumes - right?

If that's the case, it should help you, unless, like stated above, you don't need the lower volume, which is what an attenuator is for.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
then yes an attenuator will help
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
then yes an attenuator will help

Weber MASS FTW.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Attenuators do not necessarily improve tone, if anything they can suck tone. They can also put undo wear on power tubes. You may want to hook up with Kevin Saale on what he did with his Weber Mass and Crate Powerblock. He did what you call a 're-amp'. He likes it a lot and it dosn't rob his tone from what I understood.

+3 on the Weber stuff. http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm
I have a THD Hotplate and honestly, it was a huge waste of money.

I can't speak for other attenuators, but my 6505+ sounds awful hooked up to it at low volumes. The only time it is somewhat useful is when I put the volume on the amp to like 4 (insanely loud) and cut back about 4 db on the Hotplate, but even then there is noticeable tone suckage. I don't even use it.
Attenuators on their own just do not work well to play cranked amps at bedroom volumes. They work well if you're attenuating slightly (like when your amp is too loud to play at a gig and you need to cut back the volume slightly), but if you're trying to turn a 50+ watt amp turned up down to bedroom volumes, it will sound so compressed that you'd probably have been better off just playing it at 2 without spending the few hundred dollars.
Quote by al112987
Attenuators on their own just do not work well to play cranked amps at bedroom volumes. They work well if you're attenuating slightly (like when your amp is too loud to play at a gig and you need to cut back the volume slightly), but if you're trying to turn a 50+ watt amp turned up down to bedroom volumes, it will sound so compressed that you'd probably have been better off just playing it at 2 without spending the few hundred dollars.

+1

Plus, don't rule out speaker movement. Some do sound better with more volume.
I wouldn't bother, I bought a weber MASS for my single rectifier, and it sounds better without the attenuator (I'm a solo apartment player).
Guitars
Amps
meh, youd be better off with some earplugs and some sound cancellation foam
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I bought a THD hotplate with the same planto get that clearer "cranked" sound. It marginally helps really. I noticed the further I turn up the attenuator the more highs get pulled from the sound. Another thing that really effects that "cranked" sound is speaker movement. I also think that some of that low volume "fuzz" comes from the speakers not working hard enough.

Some amps responde better to attenuation that other though. My Marshall seems to get along with my THD better than my Solo Head.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50