so yeah ...thinking of new amp.

Features i would like:
- multiple channels (2,3)
- tube
- 30-50 watts
- alice in chains/ pearl jam/ nirvana type distortion
- preferably not combo

uh price range... around $1000? can go over but not too much

i play rock (AiC, incubus, weezer, pearl jam, RHCP, sloan), ska (Less than jake, streetlight manifesto, planet smashers, sublime), punk (NOFX, bouncing souls, the clash), funk, blues, jazz.

so basically the drive channel is just as important to me as the clean channel

i have no idea where to start with amps so any help is useful!
also i have access to try out "most" amps because there are quite a few music stores within a 20 min drive
Last edited by michaelbot9000 at Feb 14, 2009,
Look for a used:
Mesa/Boogie Mark III
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
Mesa/Boogie Stilleto
Orange Rocker

Cheap ones:
Blackheart Hot head
Blackheart Handsome devil
Fender Blues Jr
Peavey Classic 30/ 50
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Definitely look at Orange amps. I can't tell you which ones because I've actually never played one, but they fit your descriptions.
remember pplz, this is canadian prices and canadian dollars. i'd look at traynors, i've never played one but since your in canada theyr probably gonna be the most cost effecient brand.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Grab an old Fender combo and throw a couple dirt pedals in front.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
remember pplz, this is canadian prices and canadian dollars. i'd look at traynors, i've never played one but since your in canada theyr probably gonna be the most cost effecient brand.

yes, traynors would do you very well. You might need a pedal to do your punk stuff, but you would only need a OD really.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

Yeah Traynor.

So gooooood. Get a YCV50 Blue if you can... I love mine, and it could probably handle all that you need.

Paid about $830 for it, new.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Yeah Traynor.

So gooooood. Get a YCV50 Blue if you can... I love mine, and it could probably handle all that you need.

Paid about $830 for it, new.

and their Canadian so you know its good ****.
Also, if you live in canada you might be able to get it directly from them, which means cheap prices.
i know one of my recording buddies did.
Quote by xwearesinking
Grab an old Fender combo and throw a couple dirt pedals in front.

This. a nice fender clean with the right pedals in front will get you with best results for what your looking for. thats what i would do anyway. so maybe a fender hot rod or twin reverb second hand? otherwise i call orange. nice cleans with very nice dirt.
Quote by convictionless
and their Canadian so you know its good ****.
Also, if you live in canada you might be able to get it directly from them, which means cheap prices.
i know one of my recording buddies did.

Canadian pot is quite good!

Yeah, you could probably get this reasonably cheap though, TS. I think they have some fantastic products.
Oh my god. What is the hell is with this Traynor thing? Mexican people should only play MiM gutiars by that logic.

The amps you all listed sell for like $500 used, the TS has a budget double that. Jesus.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
Oh my god. What is the hell is with this Traynor thing? Mexican people should only play MiM gutiars by that logic.

The amps you all listed sell for like $500 used, the TS has a budget double that. Jesus.

its just a coincidence that there both Canadian
also, just cause its not expensive doesn't means its not good
price shouldnt matter with amps, tone should, its what were looking for here right? not who can max out the TS's budget the most.
Quote by xwearesinking

i know........
does any one even read my list......
i think the amps posted are better than traynors(OPINION)
feel free to add me
Quote by convictionless
its just a coincidence that there both Canadian
also, just cause its not expensive doesn't means its not good
price shouldnt matter with amps, tone should, its what were looking for here right? not who can max out the TS's budget the most.

I live in Ottawa. My suggestion of a vintage Fender combo would cost the TS about $200 more. and sound a lot better.

WTF: clearly not directed at you, seeing as you didn't recommend a Traynor.

And to be clear, not dissing Traynor amps, I quite like them, I just sort of found it funny that the Canadian gets suggested Traynor amps with a budget of $1000.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Just tryin' to save the guy money, is all. He wouldn't be disappointed with them, though.

Don't overspend if you don't need to, I guess. Maxin' out your credit cards, going into debt... no wonder the American economy is in shambles. It's all "buy, buy, buy", looks like.

Just sayin'. Why not save money if you have the option...?
Why is there such a thing as "quality" when it always costs more?

He also said "price range" of $1000 (or slightly more), not budget.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ok, for the last time.
its not the amount of money you spend, its what tone you like. I dont think the TS wants to pay for a name, he or she wants to pay for the tone and quality.
also traynors are in his budget. look at the price of them http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503&Ns=P_Price|1&Ntk=All&Ntt=Traynor&Nty=1&rpp=20
^he could look some amps on Ebay... with that kind of money he could find all the amps on my first post.....
feel free to add me
TS, just try a number of amps out. We're obviously also suggesting what we like. You gotta find out for yourself, me thinks.
Quote by convictionless
ok, for the last time.
its not the amount of money you spend, its what tone you like. I dont think the TS wants to pay for a name, he or she wants to pay for the tone and quality.
also traynors are in his budget. look at the price of them http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/tube-guitar-combo-amps?N=100001+338503&Ns=P_Price|1&Ntk=All&Ntt=Traynor&Nty=1&rpp=20

I know that Traynors are in his budget. Have you played a Traynor? Do you know what they sound like? They're more British voiced, focused on highs and upper mids. Not exactly what blues, jazz, and funk sound like.

I suggested something like a Fender Twin Reverb because I feel that it will give the TS the tone he's looking for.

Funk, blues, jazz is what the TS said. Vintage Fender combo because that's generally what players of those styles are using. Pedals do a great job for rock and punk.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by xwearesinking
I know that Traynors are in his budget. Have you played a Traynor? Do you know what they sound like? They're more British voiced, focused on highs and upper mids. Not exactly what blues, jazz, and funk sound like.

I suggested something like a Fender Twin Reverb because I feel that it will give the TS the tone he's looking for.

Funk, blues, jazz is what the TS said. Vintage Fender combo because that's generally what players of those styles are using. Pedals do a great job for rock and punk.

just cause there using that equipment, doesnt acutally mean there using it in their recording and live etc...
i know for a fact that alot of those bands dont acutally use the amp companies they endorse in the recordings and live.
also again, just cause they use doesnt mean the TS should.
TS just go to a guitar store, come back with a list of amps you liked and it will help us narrow down what YOU want.
sorry for this whole canadian thing, i was just saying, traynor is gonna give him a good amount of bang for his buck compared to amps that he would have to pay for importation.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
holy **** i got a lot of comments thanks!

uh just to make clear....

theres no chance of buying from ebay.... id rather pay more for an amp that i can see feel and use then pay for one from ebay or online. the only used amps im going to be able to buy are the ones i find in guitar shops... so most likely not too many

so yah looks like im goina be checking out Traynor amps! (lol @ 2 pages of traynor fight)
thanks for all the imput guys

Edit: i hate to **** on all you guys's parade... but all the traynor amps you suggested me are combo lol. ill check them out, but im really looking for a head and cab
Last edited by michaelbot9000 at Feb 15, 2009,
people might not like this suggestion, but i think a marshall dsl would be great for what the ts wants to do...
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=1&cat=60&id=404

Might be outta your range, though. But it exists!

EDIT: Why exactly do you need a cab + head again? Just wondering.

lol honestly... not 100% sure why i need a cab + head. but i have some reasoning to it.

- i dont like carrying a 50 pound MG (assuming all combos are heavy and large) around with me and its quite large while being heavy also. head and cab seem easier for transport.
- a head and cab seems more legit to me. all the combos ive seen have much less options for effects, controls and what not compared to heads
- head and cab also looks cooler haha but maby thats just me

its not really a nesicity i guess but its prefered
actually itd be pretty sweet if you could mention like combos as well as Head+Cabs for me to try out. because kinda the whole point of this thread was to find out what i should be looking for and trying out