im seriously thinking about a buying a bass to finally get my band off the ground, and i found a friend to play it. i found a cheap little bass but my main problem is finding a decent amp for it. i want something mainly with volume enough to play with a band and small gigs. can you guys reccommend anything. i dont know how bass amp wattages stack up against guitar amps so im lost. any reccommendations would help. my budget is flexible but the cheaper the better please
Erm, we have roughly roughly 1-2 threads a day about this. Provide more information. But in theory, the bass wattage should be 2x of the guitar wattage.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
if the bass amp will be run through the PA system the wattage won't be as much as an issue except for stage volume. if not definitely 2x if you turn up at all. recommend some tones you would like to get from it maybe and also how much money in the budget.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i've got my 50 watt valveking which produces plenty volume, i would like something that can do rock and metal but i'll take anything cause i figure with a good eq setup i can get a good sound for anything. so should i shoot for a 100 watt bass amp, i read some of the bass amp forums and they made it sound like it wasnt all that loud.

oh and sorry, i used the search bar i got a little lost, i figured it would be quicker to just make a new forum
oh and my budget uhhh really as little as possible, i thinking maybe 200-400 something like that, but i can spend whats neccessary
Texas. **** Yeah.
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
ouch. tube watts add up differently too. maybe 3-4x wattage in that case. i run 225 tube watts against a 50 watt tube guitar amp at practice and if the guitarist cranks i can't be heard with 8 10's against his 2 12's. I would definitely go used in your case. find anything near you that you can. maybe post some stuff that's on your craigslist in your area on here and we will give opinions.

The guitar amp is a carvin 2x12 combo and seems much louder than an average 50 watt combo(it has a switch to go to 100watts but that's mostly for different tone as we know double wattage doesn't add too much volume)

I did at one point run a 60 watt peavey against the guitarists in my band( other has a mesa dual recto-100watts tube) and they turned down to help me out but for live it had to be run into a pa system.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Honestly, your now going to find the wattage you need to match up to your guitarist. Go used and get as many watts as possible. Just make sure that what ever you buy doesn't say "Behringer" or "Crate" on it.
Twice the power of the guitar is a good rule of thumb, Tube amps don't produce more watts then transistor amps over a timed period but they handle short term peaks differently and the overload characteristics are much easier on the ear which is what gives them their characteristic sound. Most of the percieved difference between the loudness of amps is down to the speakers. Mainstream commercial speakers vary by at least 6dB, equivalent to increasing the amp by 4x. Guitar speakers often emphasise midrange frequencies which are percieved as loudness by the brain increasing the subjective effect of speakers like the old fashioned Celestions.

Many experienced bassists use very high powered amps but this is about achieving a clean sound and dynamic range rather than a mad pursuit of power.

100W will be fine 200W more than enough.

The Acoustic is good, also Ashdown.
Quote by Captain Insano
Honestly, your now going to find the wattage you need to match up to your guitarist. Go used and get as many watts as possible. Just make sure that what ever you buy doesn't say "Behringer" or "Crate" on it.

My Crate has been around for quite a long time, sounds good, and hasn't failed me. Nothing wrong with Crate bass amps. Crate guitar amps, though...
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410