Well, I took a trip to the (not so) local Guitar Center, to kill an hour or two (ended up taking an hour to get there because of rush hour traffic), and found the Peavey Vypyr 75. Me, I love the sound of tube amps, and I hate using (cheap) solid state amps, but this thing blew me away. Not because it sounded "amazing", but because it sounded GOOD. And since I'm in the market for an amp to practice and record with, I thought it might be worth the shot. I talked with one of the employees (the "guitar guy"; the one guy who actually knows crap about what he's selling), and he said he hated them because a lot have had reliability issues.

I was wondering, how bad are these issues? And would it be smarter just to buy a small tube amp like I originally planned (Fender Champ 600 or Epi Valve Jr.). I'll be recording blues, classic rock, jazz (but we have a Cube 20 for that, if necessary), and Vai/Satch sort of stuff. Thanks!

EDIT: Whichever amp I do get will be my backup for gigs, and will probably be mic'd depending on which I get. Or I may use them both in stereo, not sure which.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Feb 13, 2009,
Meh, the Vypyrs are okay, but its still solid state, and its still not as quality as a nice tube amp.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by gtdude114
Meh, the Vypyrs are okay, but its still solid state, and its still not as quality as a nice tube amp.

Odds are the tube and SS Vypyrs are made in the same factories, and checked by the same QC people... what's going to make the tube one more likely to be higher quality?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Didn't say it was going to be a Peavey, I just said "tube amp."
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Now the firmware updates have been released, they've become much more reliable. After the first wave were released Peavey have started working the bugs out of them, they're not too bad now.
i own the vypyr 75.
I've owned it for about 2 months now.

I have the latest firmware update and I have no issues with mine at all.

I'm so glad I bought it.

there have been issues with them, (its a new amp, what did you expect) but they have fixed the bugs apparently. (b/c mines fine)

I really love it, I can't get pretty much any sound I want.

The 75 is the one to buy.

Its got a 2 year warranty. I think 3 if you fill out the warranty card.

make sure its updated to 1.1.5...thats the latest update for the vypyr.

my vypyr 75 is a killer amp......worth every penny.

edit: it uses transtube distortion...which emulates a tube amp.
sounds so good!
plus, you don't have the extra cost of replacing the tubes!
Last edited by ILoveGuitar07 at Feb 13, 2009,
He was trying to get you away from the Vypyr so he could lure you to the MG aisle...
i have a vypyr and its been through alot i would rate this amp 10/10 (for being a ss amp) but since i have a 15w not control over the presets ive done my fair share of research but no luck. if any one knows any pedal that works with it that would be great. haha rant.
Valveking is good.

Or, if you must get a Vypyr, get the Vypyr 60. Its all tube.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
Haven't had any issues with mine. But I have the 60 watt tube vypyr. IF you like the sound of tube amps you want to go with the 60 tube. You can't even tell it's a modeling amp. Great sound.
does the 60 play well over drums? im thinking of trading in my vypyr 30 for the 60 tube, the 30 just makes it past the drums at 3/4 vol, but i want more
Quote by bert is
does the 60 play well over drums? im thinking of trading in my vypyr 30 for the 60 tube, the 30 just makes it past the drums at 3/4 vol, but i want more

yes, plays well over drums
I was thinking the Vypyr because 300 is probably the very highest I can go for an amp, and it seemed pretty decent.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by theacousticpunk
I talked with one of the employees (the "guitar guy"; the one guy who actually knows crap about what he's selling), and he said he hated them because a lot have had reliability issues.

I would NEVER trust a salesman. He may know stuff about gear but still. He will first of try to sell you stuff where he gets a bonus for selling it before suggesting something good.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
So much fail in here....
First...tube bandwagoning needs to be checked at the door. He said it's a practice and backup amp, not a primary. Vypyrs have solid tone, especially for a practice amp. With the Sanpera II, they're quite versatile.

Second...Transtube is not a distortion circuit, it's a simple "tube emulation circuit", which is a gimmick roughly on par with that of Marshall's FDD circuit.

Third...the tube Vypyrs run on 6L6 POWER tubes. There are no preamp tubes. It is NOT an all tube amp. Even if it did have a preamp tube section, it would probably come AFTER the digital processor (a la Spider Valve...). Long story short...you will NOT get true tube tone from this amp.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
The problems with the amp can mainly be fixed by updating the Firmware.
I had never heard of anything wrong with the vypyrs..
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
To helsinki_vampir: He was trying to get me to not buy one, and he suggested an Epi Valve Jr quarter stack. I think he was at least semi-reliable. And theoreticmusic, that's what I kept thinking. And does anyone know how I could update the firmware after I buy it, IF it is older?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
Quote by helsinki_vampir
I would NEVER trust a salesman. He may know stuff about gear but still. He will first of try to sell you stuff where he gets a bonus for selling it before suggesting something good.

lol yeah
Quote by gtdude114

Can you honestly say that there is a tube amp that sounds as good as the Vypyr 30 at $200?
Quote by al112987
Can you honestly say that there is a tube amp that sounds as good as the Vypyr 30 at $200?

+1.

I'm glad its not tube AND it sounds great.
tubes wear out. which adds to cost.

As good as my 75 vypyr sounds, I don't want tubes personally.
I just ordered a VYPYR 30W from GAK, do you think I will get an updated one without the problems? I hope so
Quote by liam-rooney
I just ordered a VYPYR 30W from GAK, do you think I will get an updated one without the problems? I hope so

i don't htink you'll have any issues if its a newer version vypyr.
Quote by theacousticpunk
To helsinki_vampir: He was trying to get me to not buy one, and he suggested an Epi Valve Jr quarter stack. I think he was at least semi-reliable. And theoreticmusic, that's what I kept thinking. And does anyone know how I could update the firmware after I buy it, IF it is older?

You buy some sort of cable, can't remember exactly what atm, and hook it up to the interwebz. Should be fairly simple.

The Epi Valve Jr sounds like **** to me, even the modded versions...
anyone know if the cheap (9$) usb to midi interfaced on ebay work for updating the firmware on my tube 60? i dont want to spend 40 on something ill use once
get the valve jr and a eq pedal. im asuming you already have a good overdrive pedal cause this is yourback up.
If you're willing to go used try looking for a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket. It's a killer small tube amp that sounds awesome, got mine used at a pretty good price. Its definitely one of the best practice/jam/recording amps out there for $500. Check them out.
I bought a Vypyr Tube 60 and had it for about 3 weeks. I don't know if it was the pedal or the amp but I lost my presets, sometimes it wouldn't make any sound at all. I did everything but the firmware update. I sent it back and updating to a Peavey 6505 combo, I am going to miss those cleans on the Vypyr.
My Stuff:

LTD-EC-1000
Ibanez RG350 ex

Line 6 Spider 2
Peavey 6505 212 Combo

ISP Decimator (G-String)
Maxon OD-808
Quote by bert is
anyone know if the cheap (9$) usb to midi interfaced on ebay work for updating the firmware on my tube 60? i dont want to spend 40 on something ill use once

yes, i bought one from ebay and it worked fine
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
can i get a link to what you guys are talking about please? im in the same situation with the cable...the midi on the vypyrs are 8 pin so id need an 8 pin midi to usb cable right?
Quote by altoidwithmelon
You dont lose your virginity, you voluntarily misplace it.

Quote by Ur all $h1t
You should bottle up all of your emotions till they become a problem that requires professional help.
It's good for the economy.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/rabidpitweasels/
Quote by theoreticmusic
So much fail in here....
First...tube bandwagoning needs to be checked at the door. He said it's a practice and backup amp, not a primary. Vypyrs have solid tone, especially for a practice amp. With the Sanpera II, they're quite versatile.

Second...Transtube is not a distortion circuit, it's a simple "tube emulation circuit", which is a gimmick roughly on par with that of Marshall's FDD circuit.

Third...the tube Vypyrs run on 6L6 POWER tubes. There are no preamp tubes. It is NOT an all tube amp. Even if it did have a preamp tube section, it would probably come AFTER the digital processor (a la Spider Valve...). Long story short...you will NOT get true tube tone from this amp.

Actually the tube Vypyrs do have a preamp tube (One 12AX7). Checkout this link to Peavey's website.
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/cat/454/item/116748/number/03586730/Vypyr%26reg%3BTube60.cfm
Wait for the Vox AC4TV.
All tube. 4, 1, and 1/4 watt. All rock. AND a full 10" speaker. Kicks the 600/Valve Jr. to pieces.
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Actually the tube Vypyrs do have a preamp tube (One 12AX7). Checkout this link to Peavey's website.
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/cat/454/item/116748/number/03586730/Vypyr%26reg%3BTube60.cfm

Yeah, this is an old thread. I actually realized that recently.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.