1 = B
2 = F#
3 = D
4 = A
5 = E
6= A

I'm trying to learn how to tune my guitar to this type of tuning but its not discussed in the official tuning thread. I have a Korg GA-30 Tuner. Does anyone know how to tune to this?
Have your guitar in standard tuning, then tune every string down two and a half steps (5 semitones) to reach B-Standard (hi-lo B-F#-D-A-E-B) Once this is done, tune the sixth string (low B) down another full step (two semitones) to an A note. It's basically like Drop D is for E-standard tuning, just a lot lower tuning. You will definitely need thicker strings and a bridge setup to handle it, though, or else your neck will get all fubar and your action will go to ****.
If I tune it down that low, the strings will be really loose for my guitar though.
READ THE ENTIRE ****ING POST It actually helps when you do read the whole damn thing. I said, get thicker strings and have your bridge set up to handle it. Otherwise there will be too much slack on the strings and your action will go to **** and your neck will most likely warp.
Quote by darkwolf291
that is the Drop A tuning..impossibl on 8-like 10 gauge...get some thick strings if you wanna do that one

Even 12 is slightly pushing it. Best to go with 13/14 guages. for best results, I'd go 13-56 if I were you.
When I tuned to A, I used a 58 for the 6th string. Otherwise, IMO, it was too loose.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Yeah you need some big ass strings for that first, if you use 09s or 10s your neck might fuck up if you leave it like that for a certain period of time.
I love how several people are just repeating mostly what I said in my first post for this topic It's great.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Feb 14, 2009,
Erm... having light gauge strings tuned down really low won't hurt your neck, specially if you have it like that permanently or for extended periods. It might get a bit dicey if you change it between B standard and concert every day but having less tention on your neck than normal won't do any harm.
Actually, that's not really true, considering I had my guitar tuned down to B# with 11 guage strings and my neck got ****ed up within two months. I can't even play it anymore, the action is so high.
It could just be your guitar, I've never had anything like that happen and I change tuning more often than I change my undies and just stick with 10-52s. Think about it, how can having less than normal tention (not that there is any such thing as "normal" considering how many different gauges of string there are) possibly make your neck bow in the way you describe?
Quote by Waylanderau
It could just be your guitar, I've never had anything like that happen and I change tuning more often than I change my undies and just stick with 10-52s. Think about it, how can having less than normal tention (not that there is any such thing as "normal" considering how many different gauges of string there are) possibly make your neck bow in the way you describe?

Becuase your neck is both set at the truss for a certain and tighter tension, and used to that tighter tension. So when you loosen it greatly and there's a large deal of slack in the strings, the neck will often release the tension that was stored in the wood becuase of the counterpressure the strings put on the neck.

In other words, it's like pulling a bow back. When you draw the arrow back, the string pulls tight and the wood adjusts to it in order to better support the extra tension. When you release it, the wood will eventually settle back to a more normal and relaxed state. The same thing happens with your guitar, but when coupled with humidity and weather changes, as well as frequent tension switches from changing tunings, it slowly wears on the wood until it warps.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Becuase your neck is both set at the truss for a certain and tighter tension, and used to that tighter tension. So when you loosen it greatly and there's a large deal of slack in the strings, the neck will often release the tension that was stored in the wood becuase of the counterpressure the strings put on the neck.

In other words, it's like pulling a bow back. When you draw the arrow back, the string pulls tight and the wood adjusts to it in order to better support the extra tension. When you release it, the wood will eventually settle back to a more normal and relaxed state. The same thing happens with your guitar, but when coupled with humidity and weather changes, as well as frequent tension switches from changing tunings, it slowly wears on the wood until it warps.

I understand all that, but surely that's going to cause the neck to move back the other way and make your action lower, not higher.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Actually, that's not really true, considering I had my guitar tuned down to B# with 11 guage strings and my neck got ****ed up within two months. I can't even play it anymore, the action is so high.

going that low and not getting proper string gauge will alter tension, therefore the neck will adjust accordingly. try adjusting the truss rod.

and TS you really should not go to dropped d 2 1/2 steps down(aka dropped A) unless you get really thick strings like 12-13's. my low b on my 7 string is a 58 and it feels a tad bit loose for my comfort.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo