on an acoustic guitar.
i want an electric/acoustic obviously, that will last and have good sound.
I'd much rather much new.
I want a good acoustic for softer rock/pop stuff
Hit me up d00d$
No. No it isn't. No Dean acoustics are anywhere near pretty sweet.

Why would it be obvious that you want an A/E? You only need one if you'll be gigging. Just because a guitar has electronics doesn't mean that it will be better than one without electronics. In face, a guitar without electronics, in this price range, will be better than an A/E.

A good guitar for around $400, I'd look into Takamine, Seagull, Epiphone, Yamaha, Alvarez, and Washburn. I'm sure I'm missing some brands, but that's a pretty good list of who to look at. On the other hand, stay away from Fender, Ibanez, Dean, Schecter, etc. The primarily electric companies.

You want to get at least a solid top. How do you know if it's solid or not? Well, if the product desciption says SOLID before the tonewood, then you have solid wood. If it doesn't, you'll be getting a laminate top, which is tonally inferior to solid wood in every way, shape, and form. To give you an idea, here is a short explaination:

Top: Solid Spruce <---That would be a solid top
Top: Select Spruce <---That would be a laminate top.

And a general rule in this price range: If it has an exotic wood top (ex: flamed maple), then it will be a laminate top.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Well, I know Ibanez isn't generally accepted here like Natrone said, but last weekend I went out and bought an Ibanez Exotic Wood Figured Ash for just over $400 because I felt, after playing every acoustic in that price range at guitar center, it was the best guitar in that price range in my opinion.

EDIT: I agree with you, Natrone, regarding Fender, they make the worst acoustic guitars I have ever played.
I had a cheap Ibanez V series that I got off of ebay that worked for a decent starter guitar and it lasted 3 years of my abuse. I hope this new one holds up, so far I am being really careful with it. To the TS, I would say Takamine is my second favorite guitar in that price range.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Feb 14, 2009,
The main complaint people have had with Ibanez is that they aren't durable. I've seen more than a few posts about Ibanez acoustics starting to crap out after about 6 months.

EDIT: Oh, and Fender, Dean, and Schecter acoustics just sound like cardboard boxes. Seriously. I'm not exaggerating. Any good tone coming out of those is more than likely the doing of the strings.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I recently bought a Jasmine by Takamine for 250 marked down from 550, so look around - I love the Takamine guitars