I like my amp, it's got great tone for what I use it for. It's just not enough for gigging, or even jamming with more than just another person or two. I can actually get it to a good volume, but the clipping is pretty bad at higher volumes. Would it be advisable to get a used PA to boost the signal, and then run it through a couple cabinets? There's no way I can afford a decent tube amp now, or in the near future.
Gear:
Line 6 Spider II 75w combo
Custom Ibanez RG470 (many JEM style mods)
Fender deluxe player's strat (mexican)
Boss MT-2, DS-2, NS-2
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
You can use a direct out if it has one. If not, then mic it.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
It does. How will this affect my tone, other than the obvious different speakers? Like, will the PA's power amp kill my tone?
Gear:
Boss MT-2, DS-2, NS-2
Are you sure it would be any cheaper to get a used PA sometimes you can find pretty cheap used tube amps
There's a $400 peavy 400w PA that comes with 2 130w speaker cabs. It might sound horrible though, or it could be as ancient as dinosaur ****. But if you can think of a better deal on a tube amp, by all means, shoot. I'd MUCH rather have a decent tube amp
Gear:
Boss MT-2, DS-2, NS-2
It may sound stale. You're best bet to maintain your tone would be to mic the amp.
- Albert Einstein -
Never even tried to mic an amp before. What would be the best bet for a mic? Like, setup and type?
Gear:
Boss MT-2, DS-2, NS-2
You could also slave out the preamp into a different poweramp, like a Crate Powerblock, and then run that into your speakers. They can handle the extra wattage.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
that's a great solution, thanks. Will the cheap preamp kill my tone though?

Side note: I'm mainly avoiding the mic because of my eq. It would suck when mic'd. I could change it, but then there's the issue of a mic amp. And if I'm buying a mic amp, why not just use a PA?
Gear:
Boss MT-2, DS-2, NS-2
A dynamic mic would work fine. Try facing it at different areas of the speaker cone and different distances.

The closer you are to the center of the cone the more treble. Going closer to the outside of the cone will warm up the sound a bit.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by CWA01
Will the cheap preamp kill my tone though?

lulz. yes...your spider is a cheap preamp, although admittedly better than the IIIs. The cheap poweramp? No. It wont.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
lulz. yes...your spider is a cheap preamp, although admittedly better than the IIIs. The cheap poweramp? No. It wont.

I know (stupid being poor) but I love it. I can get suprisingly good tone. So the only real weak link would be my amp?
Gear:
Boss MT-2, DS-2, NS-2
Quote by CWA01
I know (stupid being poor) but I love it. I can get suprisingly good tone. So the only real weak link would be my amp?

Well, yeah. Your preamp and speakers will still be pretty bad. The only thing the poweramp will do is add more power. it won't improve your tone.

Don't judge me.
Well, it won't kill it either. Thanks everyone. Probably going with a PA eventually (that being when I can afford it)
Gear:
Boss MT-2, DS-2, NS-2