Page 1 of 3
Just wondering.
Personally, I've never owned one and probably never will.
The neck is too beefy and uncomfortable for me, too bad I dont have bigger hands.
Also I find the sound from Epiphone LPs pretty close to Gibson ones.
Swap out the pups and viola right?
(except for the top which is vaneer)
27mMoV31II7.a2
i love the sound, but i have small hands and its hard to reach the upper frets =(
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Nope, if I want a "real" LP, I'll pay for an Epi. I'm not paying a ****load for Gibson's name.

If I want an LP, I'll probably get a Warmoth anyway.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Currently I have an ESP ec-1000 and the neck is OMGosh awesome.
It sounds pretty good too....But the craftmanship isnt that great.
I may buy an ESP Eclipse II in the future if i wanted an upgrade...anyone has an Eclipse??
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by kpatterson14206
I don't like how big and bulky the body is, I prefer smaller lighter guitars.

This is why I would save my money and get a PRS instead of a Gibson. PRS has amazing necks, light body, and not to mention their heavenly sound.

Even thoughI have an Epi LP Standard right now and I love it, the stock pickups sucked so I put Seymour Duncans in it and I like it a little more than stock low end Gibsons, like the Studio model.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by in2thesun88
This is why I would save my money and get a PRS instead of a Gibson. PRS has amazing necks, light body, and not to mention their heavenly sound.

Even thoughI have an Epi LP Standard right now and I love it, the stock pickups sucked so I put Seymour Duncans in it and I like it a little more than stock low end Gibsons, like the Studio model.

IMO the studio is bad.
Which PRS you got?
I know high end ones cost more than Gibson Lol
27mMoV31II7.a2
I'll get an Epiphone if I want an LP (which I eventually will). The only thing you get with Gibsons is the name. The only Gibson I would pay for is a Firebird, just because I love them.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've considered it at times, but to be honest I really prefer single-coils, so I don't see much need, and if I get another HH guitar it's going to be a semihollow, so probably not until I manage to get/find/steal/loot/pillage/plunder/pirate a shitload of money.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Prolly never will buy one I just dont like the feel of it in general im a major ibanez fanatic so that could be why
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Antimage27
IMO the studio is bad.
Which PRS you got?
I know high end ones cost more than Gibson Lol

I don't have one, but I have never been disappointed when I have played one. I feel they are more worth the money than any Les Paul. I would love to save up and pay $1000- 2000 for a PRS Singlecut and love the guitar, rather than compromising and paying $900-1000 for a LP and being somewhat satisfied.
Just posting in here for the irony, and also to say a big lulz at the posters saying they'd rather just buy an Epi. If you've got the money and the time to search for one of the good Gibsons, they make Epis look like a complete joke, trust me.
I've also never understood the thick neck argument either. Even the thickest Gibson necks are under an inch are their thickest, and the Gibson 60's neck is even slimmer than a new Fender neck. How freakishly tiny and weak are your hands that you can't hold proper positioning on that? Is U-G really a website only for midgets and I never got told?

But hey, to each his own.

Quote by Justice4AllOne

If I want an LP, I'll probably get a Warmoth anyway.
I support this. After I've done my current Warmoth Tele, my next Warmoth Strat and then one more Warmoth Tele, I'm going to go for a couple of LPs from them too. Warmoth can't compete with the quality of my Gibson, but in terms of getting an LP body with the features I want, Warmoth is pretty much my only option and they're at least as good as American Standard Fenders. Non-recessed Floyd, 25.5" scale, star inlays, P90-x-S config, weight relief, pink burst finish, purpleheart fretboard - hells yeah. Gonna get my custom on big time.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I doubt I'll ever own one simply for the fact that they don't have a lot of the features I look for and a lot of their qualities I tend to dislike.I like trem equipped guitars with light and comfortable bodies that have good fret access,and an LP is none of those things.I'm also OCD about my necks,and a gloss finished baseball bat isn't very comfortable for me to play on.My ideal neck is a very shallow C profile with a satin finish or simply left raw, and a 25 1/2" scale with a wider board,and once again,LP's don't have any of those qualities.If I played a lot of classic rock and found their features desirable then I'm sure I'd love LP's,they're great instruments if your preferences match up to their features.Too bad I missed the classic rock boat and ended up going for progressive metal,shred,and jazz/blues with 7 strings.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by MrFlibble

I've also never understood the thick neck argument either. Even the thickest Gibson necks are under an inch are their thickest, and the Gibson 60's neck is even slimmer than a new Fender neck. How freakishly tiny and weak are your hands that you can't

Oh really?
Well I tried the 50s neck and the 60s tapered neck, and honestly I couldnt feel much of a difference.
Even the slim necks Feel much thicker than a Fender neck for SURE (dont ask me why but maybe the shape?).
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Justice4AllOne
... I'm not paying a ****load for Gibson's name.

That's how I feel too. I would rather by an Epi or an Agile and spend the rest of the money on a top quality amp.
Never. My Epi doesn't count, true LP's are carved-top.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Honestly though.
Are the things on a Gibson les paul worth the extra money versus an Epi LP ??
I mean like the better pickups, better wood, better craftmanship, better wiring, better electronics, better top, better material. (Im gonna exclude the Brand for a sec because I couldnt careless for a "Gibson" on my headstock)

All those added up worth the extra money???

Epi LP= around 650
Gibson LP = around 2200 (depending on series)
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Feb 14, 2009,
Like all brands, it's going to literally vary completely from guitar to guitar. Due to Gibson's crap QC as of late, I'd get an Epi if ordering online, but if I order in a store and have a chance to sit down and try it, easily a Gibson if I have the cash since, when you find a good one, it will make an Epiphone seem like a joke.

Quote by necrosis1193
when you find a good one, it will make an Epiphone seem like a joke.

Seem like a joke how??? interms of sound?
Do realize that a Gibby is by FAR more expensive
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by Antimage27
Seem like a joke how??? interms of sound?
Do realize that a Gibby is by FAR more expensive

I realize this. But believe me when I say that when you find a truly good Gibson that lives up to the silk-screened name and inflated pricetag, you will cry if you don't have the cash. Feel-wise, looks-wise, tone-wise, it'll just be better.

Quote by MrFlibble
Just posting in here for the irony, and also to say a big lulz at the posters saying they'd rather just buy an Epi. If you've got the money and the time to search for one of the good Gibsons, they make Epis look like a complete joke, trust me.
I've also never understood the thick neck argument either. Even the thickest Gibson necks are under an inch are their thickest, and the Gibson 60's neck is even slimmer than a new Fender neck. How freakishly tiny and weak are your hands that you can't hold proper positioning on that? Is U-G really a website only for midgets and I never got told?

But hey, to each his own.

I support this. After I've done my current Warmoth Tele, my next Warmoth Strat and then one more Warmoth Tele, I'm going to go for a couple of LPs from them too. Warmoth can't compete with the quality of my Gibson, but in terms of getting an LP body with the features I want, Warmoth is pretty much my only option and they're at least as good as American Standard Fenders. Non-recessed Floyd, 25.5" scale, star inlays, P90-x-S config, weight relief, pink burst finish, purpleheart fretboard - hells yeah. Gonna get my custom on big time.

Uhh...you do know that the purpleheart will turn brown over time, right?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I've owned a "The Paul" and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in the past. I liked "The Paul" but had to get rid of it due to a major crack in the body. The Epi Les Paul Custom was like a small child around my neck and, unfortunately, wouldn't stay in tune so I traded it.

I currently own what was released in 2004 as the "Les Paul Melody Maker" which is a re-issue of the Melody Maker body, neck and headstock but with the Tune-O-Matic bridge, Stop tailpiece and the P-90. It's in my sig. It's light but not neck-heavy like an SG.

I like the Les Paul but they're a bit too heavy for my taste. I really wish Gibson would release a Les Paul ES like Epiphone did a few years ago. A semi-hollow Les Paul with F-holes. Beauty Incarnate.
I have no plans at the moment, but I'm not really against them. A nice guitar is a nice guitar and I happen to play a Gibson LP I really like and can afford, then I'll get it. Simple as that really. You never know which deals will land at your feet.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Natrone
Uhh...you do know that the purpleheart will turn brown over time, right?
Yeah, but I mostly use rosewood or ebony fretboards anyway. So it'll be purple at first then eventually end up just like my others - no big deal. There are ways to treat purpleheart to keep it's purple tones for a little longer anyway. Sure it won't be vivid purple for decades but it's better than just going with boring rosewood right away.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i'll never get one, never been a fan of them, neck is too fat and body is too heavy and they're all overpriced even epiphones
I wouldn't buy a Gibson, just because they're so ridiculously overpriced here in the UK.
I've been looking at a Richwood LP copy for a while though.
i'll not own a gibson or epi

i'll probaly will be jumping on those LTD ec-1000 FR's though
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I do. I love mine and it has been my prized possession since I bought it new in 95. I can't even walk by my guitar room without sneaking a peak at it and appreciating it's beauty. And this is almost 15 years later.
Before I bought the Gibson I had an Epiphone. The differences back in the early 90's were uncomparable. The Epiphone felt cheesy. I don't know the situation now as I am not in the market for a Les Paul and haven't played any other Gibson's but mine in 10 nyears. I have played a new Epiphone. It did not feel or sound like a Gibson.
Last edited by danohat at Feb 14, 2009,
I've got a Epi, and I think it's alright, I'm still saving up for a more lead style friendly guitar though.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
I'd never buy I Les Paul. Its not that I don't like the model, (although I do prefer a strat) but there are other people that do it so much better. I'd much prefer a really high end washburn idol, A dean Soltero, a PRS, a warmoth, A DBZ Bolero, a Carvin, a Heritage.

Heritage makes the best les pauls because Heritage is the real gibson.
UG's Prodigal Son
i don't plan on owning one unless i'm handed one for free... I don't like them too much... I'd definately buy an LP shape of another company. ex: ESP
I really dont like the les paul body so i will never buy one. First off frekin Gibsons are so outrageously expensive that by the time i would of got the money to buy one i could gotten probably 2 or 3 other guitars that i like better. Plus i think they are used way to much by other people lmao.
I have an Epi G-400 but I don't play it cuz I hate it. It has 2 Dirty Fingers in it and it sounds awesome, but it's not comfortable. I kinda want a Gold Top Les Paul even though I know it won't be my favorite guitar I own. It'll also be the most expensive guitar I own by a lot, so I'll probably get a Flying V instead. It's cooler looking, cheaper, and they sound very good
I personally HATE the Les Paul.

I'm not kidding, I think its boring and overused as a body style.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
I've played so many electrics of late its staggering. I've never been of the double cut-away, (don’t ask me why, I don’t have a good reason outside of preference or taste), but I respect the quality, sound, and playability. One of my bandmates has a MIA Fender Highway 1 Strat. It’s nice, plays great, I love the five toggle switch, (so many sounds on one channel), its balanced, clean, and light. But I love my LP a little too much.

I own a Gibson LP Studio, named "Stella" (Anyone a good shop for custom truss rod covers). Its worn brown with a rosewood fretboard, trap inlays, and Alcino V pickups. It’s heavy, bulky, warm and throaty, and that’s just part of why it suits me. I have big hands, so the necks no issue. The pickups are screaming hot, and the GHS Boomers give a great sound when I’m running out of any amp I’ve tried.

So much of owning a stick is preference. There are great Epiphones out there, but I feel that they fall well short of a Gibson in sound, construction and craftsmanship. But they are a lot cheaper, and for what you DO get for the money, and Epiphone can be a great buy. And besides, if you have a great AMP, it will sound much, much better. That’s not to say that if you own a JCM-800 your Epiphone will scream like Zakk Wylde, but it will sound better than it would have coming out of a Roland Cube, or a Spider.

But ask yourself this....If someone gave you a Gibson Les Paul, would you play it? Would you keep it? Would it become your new Number 1? Not me, seeing as I already have one, but if someone gave me a PRS, or a Strat, I can’t promise that I would love it. That’s the irony. Its al about how YOU feel. I like to read your stories and insight. It reminds me that the playing field in practical guitar ownership is a lot more level that I thought. Skill on the other hand, that’s different.

Stella enough woman for me. I dont know if I'll ever need another electric.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I got a great deal on a Gibson LP Special. Cleaned her up and worked on her, and eventually figured her out. Once I did, I fell in love. I have small hands too, and this one has a slim neck that feels like a dream. P-100 pickups, nice tune-o-matic bridge. Once I found the right strings for her (.010s with a wound G) and got the action low without fret buzz, and got the tension where I wanted it (stopbar tailpiece is a great thing), I could EASILY see why they have their place in rock n roll lore.

I've always been a Strat man, but now I'm torn between two lovers.
    The LP Double Cuts and the Goldtops aren't bad but there are still companies that can make better ones.
    UG's Prodigal Son
    Page 1 of 3