Page 1 of 15
Since all of you seem to have a strong hatred to the Rolling Stone list, this is the one from Musicians Friend.
It's based on "greatness" not technical ability or popularity.
I don't want to hear "no Petrucci on top ten! Waah!"
People voted about three guitarists that they think are great.
Here is to 49

1) Jimmy Page
2) Jimi Hendrix
3) Stevie Ray Vaughan
4) Danny Gatton
5) B.B. King
6) Steve Vai
7) Joe Satriani
8) Eddie Van Halen
9) Chet Atkins
10) Eric Clapton
11) Jeff Beck
12) Randy Rhoads
13) Steve Morse
14) George Harrison
15) Robert Johnson
16) James Hetfield
17) Joe Pass
18) Zakk Wylde
19) Brian May
20) Kurt Cobain
21) Django Reinhardt
22) Brent Mason
23) Brian Setzer
24) Chuck Berry
25) Charlie Christian
26) Group Recognition: Lynyrd Skynyrd -- Original members Gary Rossington, Allen
27) Group Recognition: Rush -- Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee
28) Group Recognition: Black Sabbath -- Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler
29) Steve Howe
30) Ted Nugent
31) Tom Morello
32) David Gilmour
33) Eric Johnson
34) Yngvie Malmsteen
35) Carlos Santana
36) John Petrucci
37) Al DiMeola
38) Bonnie Raitt
39) Andres Segovia
40) Jerry Cantrell
41) Mike Einziger
42) Group Recognition: The Ventures - Bob Bogle, Don Wilson, Nokie Edwards, Gerry McGee
43) Les Paul
44) Freddie King
45) Group Recognition: The Allman Brothers Band - guitarists Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks, Jimmy Herring, bassists Barry Oakley, Alan Woody, Oteill Burbridge
46) George Benson
47) Angus Young
48) Dimebag Darrell
49) Group Recognition: The Hellecasters - Jerry Donahue, Will Ray, John Jorgenson

A way way more superior list than Rolling Stone, for balancing technical ability and influence at the same time.
A lot of you should be happy seeing Vai and Satriani on 6th and 7th.
Still happy myself that it had older virtuosos like Reinheart, Segovia, Chet Atkins, Les paul, and the Ventures.
But the top 3 is like my list because I can't be happier seeing Jimmy Page on Number 1 and Stevie Ray Vaughan on number 3.
I also applaud them as a bit of a metal fan myself for having Hetfield, Rhodes, and Dimebag Darrell.

Overall, great list.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Awful list. Hetfield is a great rhythm player, but he is nowhere near that good. Marty Friedman, Chris Poland, Alex Skolnik, etc are much better metal guitarists than he.
Enough with the lists already.

This one is especially fail because Jimi Hendrix is not #1.
kill all humans
Close dis tred plox.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by Spamwise
Awful list. Hetfield is a great rhythm player, but he is nowhere near that good. Marty Friedman, Chris Poland, Alex Skolnik, etc are much better metal guitarists than he.

It's an awful list just because of that?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Ehhh

Everyone's going to at least have a slight disagreement with these lists. Mine is that Tom Morello is way more skilled at cobain at guitar. You can't even tab some of his solos.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by radomu
It's an awful list just because of that?

No, that is just one thing awful about it.
Quote by ScottElwood
Ehhh

Everyone's going to at least have a slight disagreement with these lists. Mine is that Tom Morello is way more skilled at cobain at guitar. You can't even tab some of his solos.

As I said, it's not just technical ability but also influence
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Jimi Hendrix #1

Jimmy Page #2

that is all.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Quote by Seryaph
Jimi Hendrix #1

Jimmy Page #2

that is all.

There, the first valid statement made on this thread
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu
There, the first statement I agree with on this thread
fixed
Page was good, but I don't think he should be above SRV or Hendrix.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
list sux hard. no way page is even in the top 5 (I do love him though)

rolling stone had it about right.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Captain Insano
I suppose it's a better list. But better in a sense of you got cancer as opposed to getting AID's.

Well, at least with AIDS you get to have sex. Unless you were raped.
david gilmour numer 32?
that's silly
he should be like number three
because he is so creative
any greatest guiatist list is epic fail

everyone has different taste therefor no list is correct to anybody except for the creator
if they were smart they would split the lists into more direct lists (70s rock top guitarists)and make it a best 50 but no countdown, just names..

this would allow for more agree-ance and less hatred of lists.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by kayaress one
Who the **** is Danny Gatton?...

Quote by Wikipedia
Danny Gatton (September 4, 1945 – October 4, 1994) was a talented and enigmatic American guitarist who committed suicide at his Maryland home in 1994 while still relatively unknown to the public. A biography, Unfinished Business: The Life and Times of Danny Gatton by Ralph Heibutzki, was published in 2003. It has a voluminous discography. Gatton was ranked 63rd on Rolling Stone magazine's 100 Greatest Guitarists of all Time in 2003.

I didn't know either.
this list sucks, everyone knows Nick Jonas should be number 1 and he isn't even on there
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Kurt F u c k i n g Cobain at #20? are they out of their c o c k sucking minds?

power chords played in a generic manner make you great? F U CK that list!
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Not just any cancer. Pancreatic... perhaps even Colon cancer.

Seriously what were they thinking? I love Jimmy Page but I can't ever put him above Jimi Hendrix... Jesus... and I love Stevie but isn't he a bit high?

Also, Vai above Satriani? That's a tad silly... Both are a bit high also...

At what point will some 'authority' on guitars come out and say there's just 'different' guitarists... following Jimi of course.
Into the flood again...
Quote by SlashWannabe1
Kurt F u c k i n g Cobain at #20? are they out of their c o c k sucking minds?

power chords played in a generic manner make you great? F U CK that list!

when you make popular your own kind of rock that is completely original, i will take your advice and f uck that, until then stfu
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
A lot of those guitarists are the kind that people know 1 song by and just swoon over based on hype. Django Reinhardt being one example. I like a couple of his songs, Minor Swing and something the 13th, but few people can appreciate Gypsy Jazz, because it's not too accessible a genre, it's freaking jazz! Eric Johnson is another. Cliffs of Dover is great, but that's all he's got as far as most people even know.

But Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman are nowhere to be seen. Have these people never listened to Dragon's Kiss? Second Heat?

Also, I think Hendrix sucks and should not even be on lists, but that's just bias.
list blows, Jimmy Page the best guitarist ever... cmon

and kurt cobain before david gilmour

now thats just retarded
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by I Poke Badgers
A lot of those guitarists are the kind that people know 1 song by and just swoon over based on hype. Django Reinhardt being one example. I like a couple of his songs, Minor Swing and something the 13th, but few people can appreciate Gypsy Jazz, because it's not too accessible a genre, it's freaking jazz! Eric Johnson is another. Cliffs of Dover is great, but that's all he's got as far as most people even know.

But Paul Gilbert and Marty Friedman are nowhere to be seen. Have these people never listened to Dragon's Kiss? Second Heat?

Also, I think Hendrix sucks and should not even be on lists, but that's just bias.

I listened to a bunch of eric johnson, and cliffs is the only song without a shitload of cheesy 80s ****.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by I Poke Badgers

Thats not just bias friend, that is blaspheme and sheer ignorance.

Yep, I expect God will be smiting you aaaaaaany second now.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed that Kurt Cobain is still high on a "Greatest Guitarist List" or that Jimmy Page is number one.

Either way, the list sucks.

EDIT:

Quote by JimmyBanks6
when you make popular your own kind of rock that is completely original, i will take your advice and f uck that, until then stfu
By that logic, if I make up a genre generally consisting of one powerchord and feedback, then I guess I must be a virtuoso.

I like Kurt Cobain and I like Nirvana, but Kurt isn't number 20.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Last edited by Just Andrew at Feb 14, 2009,
20) Kurt Cobain

Lol...

Dragonforce? I don't even know what that is. Isn't it that Japanese card game "Dragon Force Z"?
What the ****? The Edge isn't even on there, he deserves to be at least top 25. People really under appreciate how influential his style of play and mainly, his use of the delay effect really was.