Hey all, just had a quick question.

I've noticed that after my most recent setup on my Ibanez S Prestige that the strings are really taught. They're D'Addario 9's. On my other guitar (Ibanez RG) I -had- D'Addarios, but now I have Elixers and those strings are really... loose. I wonder, is it because I have a floating tremolo on the Ibanez S Prestige that the strings are so tight? Or is it just the strings? Let me know!
yes it is, try adjusting the springs. I'm still fully trying to figure my FRL fully, but by unscrewing part of the screws by the springs the trem should loosen a bit, another thing to try is a tremsetter type of thing, apparently the godo works well.
did you change string guage? there really shouldn't be any reason why your strings should feel loose.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
i just reread your post.

there's no reason why a string change with affect the tension of you strings(assuming you didn't change gauges). in fact, having a full floating trem should make the strings feel more loose due to the fact that it's balanced between strings and springs.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Yea, I wouldn't think there would be either. I use the same strings on my RG and my S, and the ones on the RG just feel looser. As far as I know, they're the same gauges and everything. Maybe I should try some different strings?
it's probably the ZPS system in your S (ZR trem right?)
try taking it off, maybe that'll loosen the springs up.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I started out on a ibanez rg and the tension has always been tight on it. it didn't matter what gauge i put on it always seemed to have pretty tight tension. but then when I bought my ESP the tension was got at first but later it went bad, really loose. maybe i did something to the guitar that changed it, but its just a string thru with a tonepros bridge, so it's a simple setup.

Maybe I've spent too much time playing a high tension guitar and then when I play normal guitars it makes the strings feel really loose. Most people say it's just that your fingers get stronger and your picking gets stronger, so it's not really the strings, it's you.

If that's the case then crap.
Last edited by xXChimairaXx at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by xXChimairaXx
Maybe I've spent too much time playing a high tension guitar and then when I play normal guitars it makes the strings feel really loose. Most people say it's just that your fingers get stronger and your picking gets stronger, so it's not really the strings, it's you.

If that's the case then crap.

Lol.

When I get my guitar back from the shop (damn thing's been in there for 3 weeks), I'm going to try taking of the ZPS. I was reading alot of reviews on MF about similar products for floyds that said they added tension, and I've been told here by SomebodySomeone the same. It MUST be the case lol.

If not, then I'll just kill myself and sell my guitar on ebay.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Mar 11, 2009,
Ha. If you're planning on killing yourself than what good is selling it anyways? Give it to someone for free.

Anyways, seems I have the opposite problem you have. I guess it depends on each person.

The funny thing is the guitar I started playing with, which is from the Ibanez "metal" jumpstart pack is the guitar I play the most because the tension is high (why?). Its definitely the least expensive and as basic as it gets. It's basically a bolt-on fixed bridge rg. Supposedly its made of basswood, but it looks like particle board, and it actually sounds pretty damn good. Both my ibanez are good, and I hate my ESP. i guess i just like the flat and simple guitars.

-----------------------------------------
Ibanez IJX121
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
ESP Ltd. MH-1000
Peavey 6505+ head
Randall R412XLT cab
Line 6 Spider III 150
No way! I started with a metalpack too! It's a great axe for the money. In fact, I plan to upgrade the p'ups. I've noticed that I have a very low tension (atleast compared to my Prestige). Maybe it's the strings on my prestige that are causing the problems. (I have elixers on my RG, D'Addario's on my Prestige).

So far I've been really impressed with ESP, but something's keeping me to Ibanez, despite problems I've had with stupid crap that's needed fixing and their sh***y customer service. Something must be keeping all of the business that they have.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
ah cool. i love that guitar. yeah i think it's the best starter guitar i've ever seen. squiers are junk, and the new ibanez metalpacks have plastic tuning machines (i've heard).

how do you like the prestige neck on your ibanez? also how do you like the triple rect?

im askin just because i plan on getting a rga121 prestige and a triple rect in the close future?
I gotta say the neck is fantastic. It's definitely a shredder's neck. It feels great, and it's asymmetrical making the thinner strings easier to hit. It's 5 pieces, so the back is almost as pretty as the front. Even despite the problems I've had with ibanez, I think I'm going to stay with 'em for their necks and their older tremolos. A word to the wise though, be weary of their new Zero Point trem. The one with ball bearings isn't as bad, but I hear tell of gruesome stories with their newer tremolos.

My triple recto is amazing. It's a tone beast, and it kicks the ass out of alot of amps. It goes sparkly clean to raunchy distortion to balls metal. I've actually named my third channel "Balls." You gotta spend some time tweakin it, but if you're like me, you do anyway. You can also switch to EL-34's if you're diggin' the English sound, but I've yet to try it. Definitely the best money I've spent on my rig.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Sweet, I was talking to a guy in sweden on Youtube with a RGA121 prestige. Its last year's model but its really a sweet guitar. I plan on trading in my ESP for that guitar. I just like Ibanez.

I really like the peavey 6505 sound for hard rock and metal, but nobody beats the cleans of the mesa boogies. Well Bogner does, but still...Mesa's are godly.
If you have two guitars with the same scale length set up properly with the same strings (gauge and material) and same tuning, then the string tension in the two guitars WILL be extremely close. String tension is a function of the unit weight of the string, length, and tuned pitch (first natural frequency of vibration). The unit weight of the string will depend on the gauge, construction, and materials. The tension has nothing to do with how the string attaches to the body (bridge type). So, the only possible reasons there would be a significant difference in string tensions between your two guitars are:

- Different string gauges
- Different string construction or material
- Different tuning
- Different scale length

This talk about the Ibanez tremolo/ZPS has nothing to do with string tension. That system is design to improve tuning stability through increasing tremolo SPRING tension (the floating bridge will seem stiffer when you go to bend/pull), but it does not affect the string tension at the zero point.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
What I think happened is the tech just put on a thicker gauge of string inadvertently. It's been in the shop for the past month (for some trivial BS), so I haven't been able to compare, but now that I have, the ones seem thicker. Also, when I took the ZPS system off, I noticed that it was holding the tremolo in place, which it isn't supposed to do until a string breaks. So says the manual. I took it off, and they're still pretty taught, but like I said, I think they're a thicker gauge. (For the record, I took the ZPS off so I could flutter, the string tension was just a pleasant side effect)

Bogner has a great clean and a great hard rock sound, but I just don't find them satisfying for metal.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Mar 23, 2009,