Poll: Old School or Modern Death Metal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Old School or Modern Death Metal?
Old School
55 45%
Modern
21 17%
**** that, I can't live without both!
45 37%
Voters: 121.
Page 1 of 3
Which do you prefer?

I like the old school stuff, but ultimately I enjoy a lot more modern bands. I think that the genre has really grown and picked up a lot of interesting influences that make it a pretty rich listening experience. Earlier bands didn't have those little touches of black metal or grind, or the Gothenburg influences--stuff that really make things interesting. But Death, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, and Malevolent Creation are equally cool.

Anyways, I'm eager to see people thoughts on the two.
Old School Death Metal easily. If you think Modern DM is more interesting than Old School DM, then you haven't listened to enough Old School DM.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by frozen-dirt
Which do you prefer?

I like the old school stuff, but ultimately I enjoy a lot more modern bands. I think that the genre has really grown and picked up a lot of interesting influences that make it a pretty rich listening experience. Earlier bands didn't have those little touches of black metal or grind, or the Gothenburg influences--stuff that really make things interesting. But Death, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, and Malevolent Creation are equally cool.

Anyways, I'm eager to see people thoughts on the two.

'Earlier bands didn't have those little touches of black metal or grind'

Well there were many, many blackened death metal bands in the early 90s (probably more than there are nowadays), and as for grind, you mentioned Suffocation . And the Gothenburg developed around the same time as old school death metal: 91-95.

I prefer old school death metal, as everybody here already knows anyway. I think it's far broader than any death metal subgenre that's come out of it... compare Belial (Finland), Dark Millennium, Suffocation and Incantation for four totally different acts.

There are a plethora of other reasons, such as the fact that it was consistently better than any other subgenre of metal has ever been, but I cbf going into them
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by The Kreator
Old school because I have a big problem with triggers.

Really? Man, that's actually one of the things I like about modern death metal. Well, not specifically triggers, but the production in general.

Wtf? Nobody's got love for modern DM? Come on you filthy hessians, reveal yourselves!
Quote by HamburgerBoy
Old school has Atheist and wins by default.

Amen to that, haha.

*looks at avatar*

Anyways, I enjoy both. I like old-school stuff way more though.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Quote by frozen-dirt
Really? Man, that's actually one of the things I like about modern death metal. Well, not specifically triggers, but the production in general.

Wtf? Nobody's got love for modern DM? Come on you filthy hessians, reveal yourselves!

I like Nile.
Quote by Magero
New school.
Better production, more interesting riffs, more varied sounds.
Modern ftw.

O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Quote by Magero
New school.
Better production, more interesting riffs, more varied sounds.
Modern ftw.

Better production is the only one of those that's true, and that's a bad thing for me.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
New death metal is undeniably more varied, even if a lot of it does suck. Before the mid-90's there was basically only the original still-thrash-tinged stuff like early Death and Pestilence, the jazz-fusion death bands, and the brutal stuff like Suffocation and Gorguts. Today there is hardly a style of death metal that doesn't exist.
And you had melodic stuff (without being melodeath/Gothenburg influenced) like Dark Millennium, black metal influenced stuff like Belial (and a lot of other Finnish bands)...

Quote by MHDrunk
And you had melodic stuff (without being melodeath/Gothenburg influenced) like Dark Millennium, black metal influenced stuff like Belial (and a lot of other Finnish bands)...

Admittedly I've never heard of Dark Millennium (judging from songs on YouTube they're pretty good and unique), and I'm sure there are older bands that didn't follow the norm, but regardless death metal wasn't nearly as broad as it is now.
Old school definitely, goes without saying really

That stuff has become one of my top favourite genres with bands like Nihilist, Autopsy, Morbid Angel and Obituary kicking ass like there's no tomorrow
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Death metal sucks.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by Stranglehold
Death metal sucks.

Wut.

Anyway, I prefer Modern DM, I like good production.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Stranglehold
Death metal sucks.

QFT.

Threadstarter, you don't have this option in the poll. Plz add.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Benjabenja
Wut.

Anyway, I prefer Modern DM, I like good production.

He was kidding. Notice the Pestilence avatar.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Better production is the only one of those that's true, and that's a bad thing for me.

It's all personal opinion really.
I've already explained to MHDrunk that I find OSDM to be quite boring. But that's just me.
Yeah, I know it's personal opinion, I just find Old School DM to be much more interesting (and overall enjoyable).
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
How 'bout both?

I try not to discriminate music based on anything other than how it sounds. There's good stuff from all over the place time wise.
It's not just time, you can't deny that Old School Death Metal and Modern Death Metal have very different sounds.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
It's not just time, you can't deny that Old School Death Metal and Modern Death Metal have very different sounds.

I think he was just saying that there is good death metal from any decade, not that they don't have different sounds.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Contraband
I think he was just saying that there is good death metal from any decade, not that they don't have different sounds.

Precisely.

And it goes further than just death metal. I posit that there's good music of almost any genre if you know where to look.
Oh, alright.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Although I enjoy both, I'd say old school.
Old school brutal death like Suffo and Vomitory are worlds better than modern bdm, and old school tech stuff like Cryptopsy is a lot more interesting than modern tech death (although there are some exceptions).
And don't even get me started on modern melodeath
Old school for sure. There was less of a focus on technical wankery than there was on just creating aggressive, enjoyable, atmospheric music.

I find that the majority of newer bands have little to no definable atmosphere. And they form together into one block of mediocrity.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by dminishedthingy
Although I enjoy both, I'd say old school.
Old school brutal death like Suffo and Vomitory are worlds better than modern bdm, and old school tech stuff like Cryptopsy is a lot more interesting than modern tech death (although there are some exceptions).
And don't even get me started on modern melodeath

agreed.

I too listen to both, but I find the older bands to have a much rawer darker sound. Partly due to production and because it was back in a time when the music scene was growing. Whereas in modern times the majority of bands all sound the same. There are exceptions to both old school and new, but it seems more quality music was made back in the day.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
I'm more of a fan of Modern stuff. However, I still love some of the old stuff like Death.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
I cant say either one is better. I like morbid angel and behemoth, ect. I vote for both
Both are great, but OS bands were doing something legitimately new. They weren't just doing new variations on a previously existing sound. Even if OSDM might be clearly thrash influenced, the music they were writing was the start of a whole new style of metal.

Plus, modern brutal death metal is completely redundant and uninspired.
I yam what I yam
old school death metal all the way, the new tech stuff can be good (ie decrepit birth/necrophagist/etc) but most of it sounds to samey to me.

cant beat listening to some old school deicide screaming satan at the top of your lungs every 15 seconds
Modern.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Page 1 of 3