i recently bought my buddies guitar from him to have something i can teach my little brother to play on. but the thing is that he completely took apart the bridge, unscrewed everything, took out all the screws, all of it. it's the same kind of tremolo bridge a stratocaster has. i have a basic idea of how to assemble it but i don't know too much about adjusting the intonation with the saddles and he told me he did mess around a bit with the truss rod. can anyone tell me about how to set the intonation right and what i should check with the truss rod? i'm determined to learn more about the actual instrument and it's construction and this is my little prject to work on. thanks for any help.
The intonation is the distance between the saddle and the Nut. Put it back together and string it up.
Then tune it to pitch with a tuner. Now one string at a time, tuen at the 12th fret. Noe the tuner says its way off right?

the adjustment of the saddles adjusts the distance of the strings. You want the distance from the nut to the 12th fret and 12th fret to the bridge to be the same.

SO, tune a string, then fret 12 again, then if the tuner says it sharp, adjust the saddle AWAY from the nut. The enlongates the distance thus make the to not flat. (that not entirely correct but it works for this situation), if the 12th fret is FLAT, move the saddle towards the nut. keep adjusting the saddles until the are all in tune open and at the 12th fret.

when you are done, it should look kinda like this...

the high E will be closer than b and G. the D will be closer than A and the low E. This isn't always the case, but a rule of thumb.

good luck bro!

Last edited by customisbetter at Feb 14, 2009,
to ajust it make the 12 fret harmonic the same note as the twelvth fret pressed down. if the harmonic is to sharp make the sattle longer and the string shorter. if it's flat tighten the sattle to make it longer. i may have it backwards but if i do at least you still could figure it out
no harmonics
Its open and 12th fret FRETTED, they must be exact

Truss Rod: Look down your neck (after you string it up) and see if there is any bow in it, the should be a little upward bow (relief) pictures...\

The bridge is easy, screw everything together and adjust intonation when strung up and tuned to correct pitch
thanks guys. also while putting the saddles together i noticed there are different size screws and different size springs, i'm not sure which spring and screw goes with which saddle. any idea?
Like customisbetter said above, generally the low E and G strings are nearest the back of the bridge = shorter screw + spring. Then the A and B strings, then the D and high E.

Unless you mean the grub screws that adjust the saddle height are different sizes?
Quote by bellerophon
Like customisbetter said above, generally the low E and G strings are nearest the back of the bridge = shorter screw + spring. Then the A and B strings, then the D and high E.

Unless you mean the grub screws that adjust the saddle height are different sizes?

no, not the grub screws and i've never heard that term before.
Ah well, every day's a school day.

Check on wiki for more from the wonderful world of screws...