Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone. I've been interested in getting an electric guitar for some time now. Over the past couple weeks I've decided that I'm finally going to take the plunge. I've been to Guitar Center a few times and have messed around with some nice, fairly cheap options. My budget is about $300 for a guitar and amp just to get me started. I'm pretty set on getting the Peavey Vypyr 15W. However, I really can't decide on the guitar I want. I had my heart set on the Epiphone LP II a few weeks ago until I got a hold of an Ibanez GAX70, which I preferred due to it's lighter weight and smaller neck (I have small hands). I really like the Ibanez, but I keep hearing that it is particularly a metal guitar. I'm definitely not interested in playing any metal stuff anytime soon. I'm more into indie style rock. Bands like Interpol, Wolf Parade, Deerhunter, Bloc Party, etc. I really just want an inexpensive starter guitar that will give me that indie type sound. Any recommendations or input will be more than welcome!

Thanks.
do you play or have played before? if its for learning you might wanna try Crate Electra, they kinda cheap and they come with amps
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Did you play the GAX70? If you like the way it sounds don't worry about people saying that it is a metal guitar. The guitar is what you make of it. As for the Vypyr, I have one and love it. You can get lots of sounds out of it. I only wish I had gotten the 30w version so that I could update the firmware when updates are released.
ibanez guitars are not mainly for metal. they're are very well liked in teh metal community for their fast thin necks but the GAX model isn't one of them. i recommend getting a used guitar if 300 is your max budget for both guitar and amp
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by silent caution
do you play or have played before? if its for learning you might wanna try Crate Electra, they kinda cheap and they come with amps

I've never really played before, other than messing around on friends guitars here and there. The Crate Electra is like super cheap (price wise)! I'll definitely check it out though.
IMHO you should just save up a bit more and get a decent guitar.

Edit: save up until you have money for an Ibanez RG (they're cheap as 300-400 bucks and are decent)
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by strekship
Did you play the GAX70? If you like the way it sounds don't worry about people saying that it is a metal guitar. The guitar is what you make of it. As for the Vypyr, I have one and love it. You can get lots of sounds out of it. I only wish I had gotten the 30w version so that I could update the firmware when updates are released.

Yeah, I did play it. I loved the way it felt in my hands and sound quality was pretty good as well. As I've been doing research over the past few days, I came across the Ibanez RG120. It's a few bucks more, but would it be any better than the GAX70?

The Vypyr has a tuner in it, no? How well does that thing work?
Quote by Antimage27

How much more are we talking to get a decent guitar? I'm just a little hesitant to drop too much on one, because I'm afraid I could lose interest if I don't make good progress learning the guitar.
I'd recommend that for your first electric, you should buy a really versatile guitar, that can play most styles of music well. As you get better you may lean towards a certain genre and want to get a guitar more suited to that specific style etc.

I'd recommend that you get something with a HSS setup. My vote would be for the Yamaha Pacifica 112
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by chrsmrly
How much more are we talking to get a decent guitar? I'm just a little hesitant to drop too much on one, because I'm afraid I could lose interest if I don't make good progress learning the guitar.

if you're REALLY not sure if you're gonna maintain interest in guitar, buy an ibanez starter pack
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG7321-7String-Electric-Guitar?sku=518876 it's within your budget

but if you feel like you REALLY have an interest in guitar and music, then recommend biting the bullet until you have at least $450
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by chrsmrly
Yeah, I did play it. I loved the way it felt in my hands and sound quality was pretty good as well. As I've been doing research over the past few days, I came across the Ibanez RG120. It's a few bucks more, but would it be any better than the GAX70?

The Vypyr has a tuner in it, no? How well does that thing work?

It does have a tuner, but I never use it because I already use my Korg CA-30. If you can find a decent used guitar in your price range I would suggest looking into them. I would also never buy one of those starter packs because after a few months you will regret it.
a telecaster of some sort?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Yamaha pacifica 112...Versatile HSS pickup set up, the neck is pretty comfortable and it sounds good.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
The Yamaha's are reliable guitars that won't be so bad as to put you off. I've played everything from pure rubbish to Gibsons and hand crafted things. But I've kept my Yammy for 22 years no bother. Cort also make good entry level instruments at around $200 I think.
I'll also say keep away from package deals. The amp you have in mind is way better than anything a pack will give you and pack guitars are notoriously bad. Nothing will put you off faster than a guitar that is nasty to play and sounds terrible.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

You Can Buy A Cort Evl K4 or K2
Pretty good guitars...
2 EMG pickups
You can Play what ever u want...!
or u can get an epiphone les paul or a yamaha pacifica...!
Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it. I knew from the get go to not even look twice at those starter pack things. It's definitely good to hear that the Ibanez aren't just for metal. I know that it's all about what I get out of it. I'm headed to GC tomorrow and will give the Yamaha 112 a really good look, especially after all the recommendations. They do have the Ibanez GAX70 on sale for $165 this weekend though... Any more info on these Cort guitars? I've been looking online and haven't found too much.
Quote by Antimage27

Edit: save up until you have money for an Ibanez RG (they're cheap as 300-400 bucks and are decent)

How about the RG120?
no. they are made of agathis wood. that's as cheap as it gets before getting a plywood guitar.
get at least 300 for a guitar and look for an RG321. like i mentioned many times before, it's a solid guitar for the price.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
no. they are made of agathis wood. that's as cheap as it gets before getting a plywood guitar.
get at least 300 for a guitar and look for an RG321. like i mentioned many times before, it's a solid guitar for the price.

Based on pure aesthetics, I wouldn't buy that guitar. I will give it a go if they have it at GC tomorrow. The RG2EX1 looks nice though.

On another note, I was skimming musicians friend and stumbled upon this Epiphone LE Wilshire guitar. I really really like the look of it. I'm very partial to white guitars. Anyway, it has a mahogany body and set neck. The neck is also supposed to be pretty thin, which I think will benefit me. The reviews look very promising.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Wilshire-Electric-Guitar-518527-i1391552.gc

Thoughts?
Last edited by chrsmrly at Feb 15, 2009,
buying a guitar on based on aesthetics is a terrible idea. the RG321 offers other colors besides the natural mahogany one. it has a wizard II neck so it's very thin.

i wouldn't buy that epiphone. there guitars under the 400 mark are very shotty IMO.

if you can try used on craig's list. you can find some REALLY good deals there or your local pawn shop.

example. i've found RG570 for 275 in mint condition. also a MIM fender standard strat for 100 mint condition.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Cort guitars are good...I have a Cort evl k6 .The guitar rocks...
the 2 emg pickups are great...and you can play many kinds of music...Cort evl k6 costs about 650$ or 800 euros .but cort evl k2 or z2 is about 200$.You can also search in youtube
about cort guitars...My first guitar was a Yamaha ERG121 and it is great for begginers!:P

C_u
Another good guitar would be a Xaviere XV-500. It is a solid budget guitar with good hardware and sweet sounding humbuckers.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
i've been playing metal and stuff for about 13 years, and i only have a few low to mid range guitar.

the RG321 is a phenomenal guitar for such a low price, and i also have an Agile septor.

if you're not put off by ordering online, I'd strongly recommend checking out www.rondomusic.com for some of the most bang for buck guitars you'll find.

as for the amp, i feel the vypyr 15 will suit you just fine.. lots of versatility for just about any kind of music you might delve into later on in your new hobby
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by LowEndSlacker
Another good guitar would be a Xaviere XV-500. It is a solid budget guitar with good hardware and sweet sounding humbuckers.

That guitar looks VERY nice. Especially for the price.

Anyone have any experience with one of these?
Quote by Kivarenn82
i've been playing metal and stuff for about 13 years, and i only have a few low to mid range guitar.

the RG321 is a phenomenal guitar for such a low price, and i also have an Agile septor.

if you're not put off by ordering online, I'd strongly recommend checking out www.rondomusic.com for some of the most bang for buck guitars you'll find.

as for the amp, i feel the vypyr 15 will suit you just fine.. lots of versatility for just about any kind of music you might delve into later on in your new hobby

I've seen a lot of rondo music plugs on here. What's the story behind that site? What makes or models should I be looking for on there?
Quote by chrsmrly
Based on pure aesthetics, I wouldn't buy that guitar. I will give it a go if they have it at GC tomorrow. The RG2EX1 looks nice though.

On another note, I was skimming musicians friend and stumbled upon this Epiphone LE Wilshire guitar. I really really like the look of it. I'm very partial to white guitars. Anyway, it has a mahogany body and set neck. The neck is also supposed to be pretty thin, which I think will benefit me. The reviews look very promising.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Wilshire-Electric-Guitar-518527-i1391552.gc

Thoughts?

Wilshires are nice, I liked the one I played alot.

The RG321MH and RG2EX1 are almost identical, the pickups and woods are different.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
well,i went on rondo's music and i checked many guitars...In my opinion you should by a guitar which u can trust...
i would reccomend a squire strat even the affinity series.
people here may so no but i have an affinity telecaster and love it

XD

gear
Yamaha Pacifica 612v
Squier Tele
Roland Cube 30x
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by chrsmrly
I've seen a lot of rondo music plugs on here. What's the story behind that site? What makes or models should I be looking for on there?

Here's the dealio about Guitarfetish and Rondo. Both stores have contracts with guitar factories to produce private label guitars. They then sell their guitars by mail order only. At Rondo the Agiles are the brand to get. The Guitarfetish Xaviere and Rondo Agile guitars have reasonable woods, hardware, and construction. They both offer good bang for the buck.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Epi G-400
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by LowEndSlacker
Here's the dealio about Guitarfetish and Rondo. Both stores have contracts with guitar factories to produce private label guitars. They then sell their guitars by mail order only. At Rondo the Agiles are the brand to get. The Guitarfetish Xaviere and Rondo Agile guitars have reasonable woods, hardware, and construction. They both offer good bang for the buck.

Sounds good. I'm pretty keen towards the Xaviere XV-700. It looks pretty solid and I've seen a ton of user reviews and haven't really heard any negative things about it. I really dig the look and watched some youtube vids of it in action, sounds amazing to my non trained ears. I don't think I can go wrong for $219. This may be the guitar for me...
You could pick up a used MIM Fender Strat for that much or as stated go for an Xaviere or somehing off of rondo.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
The best thing you can do for yourself in that price range is go used. You should be able to score something that sold new in the $750 to $900 range. You won't beat that with anything new.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
well for that indie rock music you can get a mexican made fender telecaster, new they are 400, but you could probably find a used one.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
Quote by the_wayward_one
Yamaha pacifica 112...Versatile HSS pickup set up, the neck is pretty comfortable and it sounds good.

+1

a lot of those indie bands play teles too, so they might be worth a look as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm really liking the Xavier's right now. I'm leaning heavily towards the Xavier XV-700 still, but the XV-870 strat style guitar is looking very nice as well. Which of these two guitars would be better for the type of music I'm wanting to play? Or perhaps which will be more versatile, because I'll definitely venture out of the indie realm sooner or later.

XV-700
http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvthcubafl.html

XV-870
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvdocusobo.html
Last edited by chrsmrly at Feb 16, 2009,
i haven't tried any of those xavieres, so i can't comment on how good they are. on paper, the spec looks pretty good for the price, but you can't always judge by the spec on paper.

the only problem with the xv700 is that, as far as i'm aware anyway (and i'm not a major indie fan, so i could be wrong), indie calls for fender-style single coil tones a lot of the time. you're not really going to get those out of a les paul, unless you wire in some coil splits, and even then it's not going to be ideal (though will be better than without the coil splits). don't get me wrong, there's nothing at all wrong with LP-style guitars (i have one, an edwards), just i'm not sure they're ideally suited to the music you want to play.

xaviere also seems to do an ash tele, which'd be worth considering (i haven't tried too many poplar guitars, but the few i've tried i haven't really liked, i suspect ash would sound better for a tele too):

e.g. http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvsoashtrman1.html or http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvsoashtrman.html

that is, unless you just don't like the look (or feel, if you've happened to try them) of teles.

personally i'd go with a fat strat, e.g. the yamaha pacifica 112v which has already been mentioned, as that gives you a combination of single coils (good for indie, blues, 50s and 60s pop and rock n roll- not too heavy tones, basically) and a bridge humbucker (good for the heavier stuff, from classic rock through to metal). that would have you covered for the indie you want to play, but also be versatile enough to cover many other music styles too, in case you decide to widen the stuff you want to play later. unfortunately, xaviere doesn't seem to offer a fat strat for some reason...

it's up to you, of course- you won't go "wrong" with a LP-style guitar, just it might not be the best guitar for the tones you want. if it's the one you have your heart set on, by all means go for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 16, 2009,
Thanks for the input Dave. I think you may be right about getting the strat style guitar. I guess I thought the LP would work, because that's what Interpol uses. However, I don't just want to play an Interpol sound. I think I may go with a strat first and then once I get better pick up an LP. Now on the XV-870, the body is made out of poplar? I'm not sure what that is. Also it seems to have 3 single coil pick ups. What kind of sound would I get out of those? The Pacifica is going to get another look today if I can swing by GC.
Last edited by chrsmrly at Feb 16, 2009,
Page 1 of 2