I just got a new American Standard Precision. I took the stock Fender strings off and replaced them with Roto's RS77LD flats. Now that I did that it seems to have lost some of it's volume and boom on the E and A strings.(mainly the E).
Does stringing it through the body or top load make a difference? I did it through the body. Also, is it ok to string through with the smaller strings(DG)and over the top with the E and A or should they all be the same. I would like to do the E over the top just so it will be easier on the string. Thanks.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
usually after buying a new bass you need to get it setup, so you should probably do that if you don't know how to
You certainly can string different strings through the body or through the bridge, if you look at I think the Hipshot ad, they string a bass both ways.
Yes it does make a difference in terms of sound. I think, but have no experience with, that through body provides greater sustain. If I remember the ad correctly, through-body provides superior attack and sustain, and through bridge provides smooth traditional tones. But Hipshot could be talking complete cobblers.
I wasn't thinking. The stock strings were the Fenders that are tapered at the bridge end, the ball end. The strings I used to replace these weren't tapered. That moved the string away from the pickup as well as the fretboard. I lowered the saddles of the E and A strings and it sounds good. Thanks.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE