Ok so i don't know if it's in the right section, its about playing, but actually can obly be done with electric (well that's what i thought) if not, please move it. Ok so i was just wondering, when people play solos, lets say slash from Guns n roses or Angus Young from AC/DC, they sometimes make the sound, when it seems that the note is breaking, it sounds like it screams or something. I don't actually know how to explain it. The thing i am asking, is how are they doing it? Or at least, how the thing is called.
No spam please
I can think of a few things it could be:
Pinch harmonic.
Natural harmonics.
Feedback.

Can you find a clip of the sound on Youtube maybe?
Sounds like you described a pinch harmonic to me.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I think what you mean is a pinch harmonic. It's where as you pick a note you let the edge of your thumb or finger touch the string very gently in just the right spot to generate a harmonic that gives you the squealing sound. It can be quite tricky to master, there;s probably some lessons on UG somewhere that can explain it much better than I can.

EDIT:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/pinch_harmonics.html

there we go
Last edited by Waylanderau at Feb 14, 2009,
pinch harmonic or bent double stop. but angus doesnt use harmonics much, so im going to say the latter
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Yep quite possible a artificial/natural harmonic
Feedback
Maybe even really aggressive vibrato after a bend?
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
I found pinch harmonics quite easy to learn by watching a crap load of youtube videos on the subject. It really helps when you can actually see how people do it
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!