Sorry about the title being a bit vague, but I guess that will get the thread more attention.

I want to buy a guitar neck off eBay from a seller in the USA. Have any Australians who have done something similar had to deal with customs when receiving the package, and had to pay a fee or something? I guess I don't mind doing this, but it'll be a right nuisance especially if I don't have the money.

Thanks.
I'm not from Australia but I was intrigued.

I got the Explorer from the USA sent to Holland and I had to pay an additional 130eur (about the same as USD back then) for import rights or something like that.

But a neck is much less valuable then a Gibson guitar - to customs - so you'll be good. Also if the seller writes on the package that it's a birthday gift to you you don't have to pay fees like that. But that's a bit cheating and I don't know if you're alright with that ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I to am curious about this i am considering purchasing a 2.5k guitar from ebay from a jap seller and am wondering what taxes i may have to pay
RG's & Mesa's
I bought a few of my pedals from people in the US (both new and used) and have never had a problem with Customs.

Unless you're importing items in bulk I can't see customs caring about your package.
Thanks, I'm hoping that I won't need to pay a duty or anything. The main reason that I was wondering was because guitar necks tend to be made out of wood, and this one is no exception, and I wasn't sure if customs had particular rules about importing and exporting wood. But, since its such a common species and it's obviously been treated, it should be fine. And no I'm not gonna be importing items in bulk, just the one neck...for now...

And if anyone wants to know, it's a licenced Fender Strat neck made by Mighty Mite, with 22 scalloped frets. I've heard only good things about scalloped frets, and I'm gonna go all out and use one on my partsocaster project.
It should be fine. You should only incur any sort of import tax if you pay over $1000AUD for the items you are importing.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by kenan6346
Thanks, I'm hoping that I won't need to pay a duty or anything. The main reason that I was wondering was because guitar necks tend to be made out of wood, and this one is no exception, and I wasn't sure if customs had particular rules about importing and exporting wood. But, since its such a common species and it's obviously been treated, it should be fine. And no I'm not gonna be importing items in bulk, just the one neck...for now...

And if anyone wants to know, it's a licenced Fender Strat neck made by Mighty Mite, with 22 scalloped frets. I've heard only good things about scalloped frets, and I'm gonna go all out and use one on my partsocaster project.

That's a good point, Customs won't care about your package but Quarantine might. I don't think you'll have an issue but if you do it will be with them rather than Customs
Quote by Jaksar
That's a good point, Customs won't care about your package but Quarantine might. I don't think you'll have an issue but if you do it will be with them rather than Customs

Yeah, but I'm sure since it's been treated and stuff (treated as in it's been made into a product) they'll probably allow it; they may check it, but I'm sure they'll let it through and there won't be any sort of duty on it.

Cheers everyone, off to go buy stuff on eBay now
Quote by Deep*Kick
It should be fine. You should only incur any sort of import tax if you pay over $1000AUD for the items you are importing.

Yep, pretty much anything under $1000 gets in tax free. I bought a heap of Ibanez parts from the US on ebay and saved about $400. Just make sure you buy from a good seller with at least 95+ positive feedback.