As the topics says, I'm interested in buying one. The budget is basically around $600-800. Used are fine also. I saw a DK2M, not sure if the Seymour Duncan set can pull off a clean-shred like tone; I just know they are versatile. Any suggestions?
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
I've been looking heavy into them. As stupid as I may sound, I relate "Ibanez" with "Shred", though they can play everything. Any Ibanez around said budget? No Edge III please.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
get a used one. are you looking into 6 or 7 string? (i mainly play seven) but have played ibanez 6 for more than 2 decades.
I could get a 7th if I'm convinced. I already have my 7 string Agile and they're awesome, but I'd prefer a 6 string, although any 7 string recommendation is welcome.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Quote by RR787
I've been looking heavy into them. As stupid as I may sound, I relate "Ibanez" with "Shred", though they can play everything. Any Ibanez around said budget? No Edge III please.

You can get a used prestige series for that much cash,there's probably a lot out there.You can also look at used Jackson,Kramer, and Charvel models from back in the late 80's and early 90's.A side note on the Jackson you mentioned,I have a DK2S which has a JB in the bridge and it can shred like a mofo.I was seeing if I could still pull off the shred solos earlier since I took a break from that genre for a while and the Jackson handled it fine.The JB seems to give a nice fluid and balanced tone through my JSX.I hope this helps.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Feb 14, 2009,
im a big fan of the MIJ late 90s 7s. or early late 90s MIJ rg 6s. have you checked your local craigslist?
stay away from the newer prestige, they are made in korea with far less q.c. and craftsmanship than a MIJ non prestige.
I suggest looking into deals like this one:

RG 1570 Prestige

You could get that and even have enough for some upgrade pups with a few more bucks.

Edit: To the guy above,correct me if I'm wrong,but every prestige series Ibanez is made in Japan by team J-Craft is it not?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Pr0gNut
I suggest looking into deals like this one:

RG 1570 Prestige

You could get that and even have enough for some upgrade pups with a few more bucks.

Edit: To the guy above,correct me if I'm wrong,but every prestige series Ibanez is made in Japan by team J-Craft is it not?

it is not! if you check the iby site they actually say that THIS YEAR (09) they are moving prestige models BACK to japan. prestige havent been made in japan for quite some time now. only actual team j craft models are made in japan for the last few years. you can tell by the first digits in the serial #.

read here
http://ibanez.com/news/default.aspx?ceId=2537
Last edited by jymellis at Feb 14, 2009,
the jackson should be fine.
All so look at the s-series and washburn x200 they come with either emg or duncans i believe.
Quote by jymellis
it is not! if you check the iby site they actually say that THIS YEAR (09) they are moving prestige models BACK to japan. prestige havent been made in japan for quite some time now. only actual team j craft models are made in japan for the last few years. you can tell by the first digits in the serial #.

read here
http://ibanez.com/news/default.aspx?ceId=2537

Well that's a surprise,I always thought that Prestige = MIJ

Every Prestige model I've seen/played has been MIJ,I didn't know they were made anywhere else.

I still submit the rg1570 or some other used MIJ model with a pup swap as my suggestion,the older models especially have great quality and sound.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Well that's a surprise,I always thought that Prestige = MIJ

Every Prestige model I've seen/played has been MIJ,I didn't know they were made anywhere else.

and you know this how, up until 2 minutes ago you thought they all where made in japan.
Well i own the jackson model u mentioned and lemme reassure u the bridge pickup is excellent for shredding, but on the other hand u might find the neck pup a bit too bassy for clean shredding... but thats just me...
Jackson Pro Series DK2M Dinky
Ibanez GRG 270
Ibanez Tone Blaster 25R
Zoom G2
DigiTech Rp50
Thanks for all the replies. I'll be doing my homework on deciding what I'll be buying, whenever I do get something, I'll promise pics!
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Quote by jymellis
and you know this how, up until 2 minutes ago you thought they all where made in japan.

I think you misread me somewhere.I clearly stated that up until reading that article you linked I thought all prestige models were MIJ due to the simple fact that all the prestige models I've seen/played have been MIJ and clearly said "MADE IN JAPAN" on the headstock.

Quote by jymellis
im an ibanez man myself.

Damn jymellis, those are some ugly guitars(I prefer a guitar with more "meat")

I'm a les paul kinda guy.
Quote by Pr0gNut
I think you misread me somewhere.I clearly stated that up until reading that article you linked I thought all prestige models were MIJ due to the simple fact that all the prestige models I've seen/played have been MIJ and clearly said "MADE IN JAPAN" on the headstock.

dude, none of them say made in japan lol. the only visible difference is there will be the letter F in the beginning of the serial # denoting the fujigen factory= made in japan.
Quote by willwelsh816
Damn jymellis, those are some ugly guitars(I prefer a **** with more "meat")

I'm a gay kinda guy.

/\
fixed.
Quote by jymellis
dude, none of them say made in japan lol. the only visible difference is there will be the letter F in the beginning of the serial # denoting the fujigen factory= made in japan.

Sorry to prove you wrong but...

Now tell me,what does it say above the J Craft logo and below the serial number? Looks like it says MADE IN JAPAN to me.I've owned several MIJ Ibanez models over the years and they all have had an MIJ logo on them somewhere.Sorry to make you look like an ass,but it needed to be done.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Sorry to make you look like an ass,but it needed to be done.

Needs to be sigged.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
Sorry to be this guy... Get a Strat! you'll have left over money, so you could grab some new pickups to get the tone you're looking for.
Last edited by parigod at Feb 14, 2009,
If I'm not completly mistaken I think the lower end of the S pretiges were made in Korea up until now.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by jymellis
im an ibanez man myself.

yeah this is only the 50th time you've posted that pic.
Strat with DiMarzio pickups of some type.

You could even scallop the neck... scallop!

It could be a shred beast!
I'm either between a Strat plus the pick up change, going used with a Prestige or RR5 from Ebay, or getting a DK2M. The strat idea sounds interesting. Would it work? I'm not a fan of Yngwie's tone if that is what you suggested. I'm more of a Steve Vai/Jason Becker/Eric Johnson/Michael Angelo's tone in the "No Boundaries" album in 1995. I'm not going for Mach 5 speed without any sense shredding, just the clean shred tone. Again, I'm new at the specs or guitars that would make this genre more pleasant, so please do bare with me.

PS: If more weight, it doesn't matter. I like heavy guitars and thick necks are fine also.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
It might work!

I'm sure it would. I always wanted a Showmaster. They look kind of cool, eh?
Probably would. Any more ideas? I'm really after the DK2M so far because of the price, the guitar's body and shape and the stock pick ups but I feel I want a RG Prestige. =(

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Last edited by RR787 at Feb 14, 2009,
Uhm, jeeze, this could be tough. I hate decisions, haha.

Have you gone and played these ones you're thinking of, at all?
I'd say yes minus the prestiges but they seems like a whole another level. I maybe wrong, but the reviews and videos make them seem superb.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Just got an idea I want some opinions on. Would changing the circuitry on my Agile Hornet to Passive instead of Active and getting some shredding humbuckers be a smart idea. I'd end up spending a lot of money and the guitar has 7 strings, a LFR and awesome access to the 24 frets. What else do I want? =O

If indeed it's a good idea, what would be good 7 string pickups for shredding?

What would be good pickups for shredding on a 6string?

I'm now pulled by the idea of changing of the pickups on my Agile V, or buying a DK2M or a used guitar, then changing pickups. Thanks for your help guys. Currently looking at Dimarzios. =P
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Last edited by RR787 at Feb 14, 2009,
Also, is the change from Active to passive expensive? Or it's just following the procedure for it and that's it?
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Quote by RR787
Just got an idea I want some opinions on. Would changing the circuitry on my Agile Hornet to Passive instead of Active and getting some shredding humbuckers be a smart idea. I'd end up spending a lot of money and the guitar has 7 strings, a LFR and awesome access to the 24 frets. What else do I want? =O

If indeed it's a good idea, what would be good 7 string pickups for shredding?

What would be good pickups for shredding on a 6string?

I'm now pulled by the idea of changing of the pickups on my Agile V, or buying a DK2M or a used guitar, then changing pickups. Thanks for your help guys. Currently looking at Dimarzios. =P

It might work but you'd lose some of your 7's character which might suck.If you want a Vai type shred sound then I'd go with the rg1570 I linked earlier in this thread.Honestly,it's a mint condition 900 dollar guitar with the stock pups ripped out and a full set of DiMarzio Evo's thrown in for $650 with the OHSC.I don't think you can do much better than that for what you want.

I've said this a bazillion times before but, Try to find a used Gibson Flying V.Amazing guitar. Set neck, great pickups, nice weight,agressive look, 24 frets,pickup switching makese a good difference in the sound, and finally, its got a great neck with great action.Nuff said.