Okay so i've ALLWAYS been using 10-46 string gauge on my SG, but recently i've been playing some dropped tuning with it. That's not really a big deal since the strings don't behave any weirder than what they would have done in standard tuning. But anyway, my question is: What do you think is the "normal" string gauge for a SG, and what do you think i the heaviest gauge a SG could take without having to adjust the guitar?

Still kinda newbie here and i've never gotten these questions answered before.

Thanks guys!
...What!?
there isn't really a normal strings gauge. but I believe the Epiphone G400 comes with 0.010's.
as for the heaviest gauge, you probably need to adjust it a little bit with every change of string gauge.
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
personally i use 46-9 since its easier to bend the e string... but it all comes down to personal preference up to a certain point. I mean i read somewhere that SRV used huge stings and he played a strat...
Gibson sg special ebony
Boss Gt-10
Roland microcube
marshall mg10

Merry birthday jesus
The only problem with the SG's is the lack of neck support, so you don't want to put anything too heavy on in fear of warping the neck.

I use .11-.52 on my G-400, but I like to feel my strings, I don't think I'd go any higher for the above reason. But for example, if I had a strat, i would use somthing like .11-.60.

EDIT - All of the above is for standard/drop D, but if you were planning on doing anything lower, I would use a larger gauge.
Listen to my band - www.myspace.com/theacidiks
Fender MIM P Bass - Badass II Bridge, Seymour Duncan (Basslines) SPB-3 - Strings 55-115 (Standard Tuning)
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT
Last edited by kingofchilis at Feb 14, 2009,
Im new to playing to, but when I changed gauges on my strat I had to do so adjustments on the tremelo to compensate for them. I would imagine you would have to adjust any guitar for different gauge strings. I dont think there is any normal gauge strings just whatever your preference. Vaughn played with heavy gauge and Slash plays 9 and up gauge. As far as limits go as heavy as you want and can play them but Im sure adjusts while have to me made. I have noticed the heavy the string the thicker the tone is but I guess thats kinda straight forward anyway newbie to newbie thats all I know.
hey dude ,i think (for me) that 9 gauge strings really work for me , you can bend really high with out snapping .and lower gauge isnt wimpy , tony iommi uses 7 or 8 gage strings and he is the father of metal
Iommi used lower gauged strings along with Eb tuning for good reason, his finger's tips were chopped off in a Birmingham factory.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks