Page 1 of 2
Budget is around 700 max probably, at the moment. I'm looking to get a half-stack for my birthday in July, so there is definitely plenty of time to look around.

The problem is... I can't exactly find a tube amp in this price range.
I looked at the MG, which didn't sound horrible actually (I know I'll get flamed but for all intensive purposes it would do fine). But I'm still DEFINITELY open to suggestions.

I generally get tone straight out of my amp, which is why I'm looking for an amp with a nice drive to it (again, MG flameshield).

Any other suggestions as to what to look into?

My dad will probably be willing to go as far as.. well... Maine. He's done it before. So we have quite a few places we can check for it.

My setup is guitar into Boss NS-2 straight into the amp. Feedback ain't that big an issue so....

Suggestions ahoy.

TL;DR Looking into Halfstack. 700-ish price range. GO
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Why do you want a halfstack?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
YOU DONT NEED A HALFSTACK !!!!!
what genres do you play.....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
halfstack = no-no in that price range.
there are plenty of decent tube combos in that range.
genres?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I play pretty much anything really. I'm looking at a halftack because my Crate MX120 is getting pushed to far when I play it at shows.

I play anything from metal and hardcore to blues and jazz.
Quote by wannabe jesus
If we did tune using the 5th fret on the G string it'd be a C. At the moment it goes G B which stands for George Bush. So obviously GB doesn't want you to C the truth! To the conspiracy cave!
Peavey XXX
Mesa/Boogie F-50/F-30
Mesa/Boogie DC 3/DC5

ALL used on Ebay/craigslist....
feel free to add me
DONT get the mg, the only tube stack i can think of for that money is either the peavey windsor, or the valveking, neither are very good.
check out blackheart amps, the handsome devil head which is 350
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_BH15H%20Blackheart%20Handsome%20Devil%20Guitar%20Amplifier%20Head_-1_10052_10002_-49957214_cmCategorySA-10001
and then just get like a 2 12 cab from avatar. i doubt you're gonna need much more than the 15watt head, mainly because it's tube, and extremely loud. it can easily drowned out drums,bass, and just about everyone else. you really dont need 100 watts(tube) especially if you're just going to be jamming with some friends and playing inside. i've played with a friend of mine who had this set up, and it was deafening inside.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
You can play any gig with a good tube combo. As I say all the time, if Brian May and the Edge can play the biggest arenas in the world with combos, anyone can use them.

At $700 you can probably get these new which should be OK.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197 My standard recommendation.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=489075X I hear good things about Traynors all the time, but I've never had the chance to play one myself.

Used, however, you open up a whole lot more possibilities. What are your closest major cities? I'd guess Boston is one.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Blackheart Little Giant.
Its got a switch where you can switch betweet 3 and 5 watts all tube.
And its onle around $350.
Leaving money for more important stuff.
FOOT PEDALS!!!!
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by shadow__666
You can play any gig with a good tube combo. As I say all the time, if Brian May and the Edge can play the biggest arenas in the world with combos, anyone can use them.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197 My standard recommendation.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=489075X I hear good things about Traynors all the time, but I've never had the chance to play one myself.

Used, however, you open up a whole lot more possibilities. What are your closest major cities? I'd guess Boston is one.

If he's looking for good cleans, I'm not sure the Randall would be a better idea than a B-52.

EDIT: Blacheart people...I love the amp, but geez. It is not the be all end all of amps. It is certainly not a metal amp...

Don't judge me.
Quote by shadow__666

yeah. Boston. But I can check guitar and msic stores within a range rewaching to probably new hampshire and Rhode Island, maybe maine. wouldn't be the first time we've made that ride

Ill look at the blackheart, too.
Quote by wannabe jesus
Well, I had a look on Craigslist for you.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/msg/1025901506.html

I couldn't find a lot else that would be suited to you, what other major centres can you travel to?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by theoreticmusic

EDIT: Blacheart people...I love the amp, but geez. It is not the be all end all of amps. It is certainly not a metal amp...

Crazy Children.
I've heard it played clean and distorted (dist w/ pedal, and tube overdrive) and it sounds AMAZING!!!
I agree its not the Be All End All, but it is very good.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
Crazy Children.
I've heard it played clean and distorted (dist w/ pedal, and tube overdrive) and it sounds AMAZING!!!
I agree its not the Be All End All, but it is very good.

Don't judge me.
theoreticmusic- I personally prefer the cleans on the Randall more. It breaks up a bit more than the B-52, but if you keep the volume knob on your guitar down low it gives a real nice warm clean tone.

TS: Check these out.

http://capecod.craigslist.org/msg/1034193290.html Will probably need an OD pedal for the uber-hardcore stuff, but still a good amp.
http://capecod.craigslist.org/msg/1014404774.html See if this guy is still offering it, and if so haggle like hell but try hard for it because JCM900s are probably near-perfect for what you want to play.
Quote by Cathbard
i would probably purchase a decent tube combo because they are better value for your cash and are more portable and are generally more than up to the job (small gigs+ rehearsals)
And some more:

http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/1021488673.html A lot of people hate on the Valvekings, but at that price you can get a good speaker (the main problem with their tone) and OD pedal, and you're set.
http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/1006218775.html Another amp that will require an OD pedal, but beautiful cleans. Best EL-84 clean this side of a Vox AC30.
There's a couple more Valvekings on the Rhode Island CL, so check them all out.
http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/1006194728.html
http://providence.craigslist.org/msg/1008458826.html
Quote by Cathbard
It would probably make more sense, since you can get distortion out of a clean amp with pedals but you can't get cleans out of an amp that has none.

Most people here don't like using distortion pedals on tube amps, personally I do that but for metal, maybe look into a good overdrive. People here say good things about the Fulltone OCD, and the Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor is a favourite of mine. One of those will easily send a ValveKing or Bel Air into metal.

But I would go for that Carvin Legacy in Boston above all if you can afford it, because with that you won't need any pedals.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
It would probably make more sense, since you can get distortion out of a clean amp with pedals but you can't get cleans out of an amp that has none.

Most people here don't like using distortion pedals on tube amps, personally I do that but for metal, maybe look into a good overdrive. People here say good things about the Fulltone OCD, and the Hughes and Kettner Tube Factor is a favourite of mine. One of those will easily send a ValveKing or Bel Air into metal.

But I would go for that Carvin Legacy in Boston above all if you can afford it, because with that you won't need any pedals.

i'll definitely check around at a bunch more stores and see what I can find.

Problem is I wouldn't know what sort of pedals to get either. i'm not big on digital tone so I was prioritizing having an amp with good enough distortion and then maybe getting an OD or an EQ for a boost in solos when I do gigs or whatever I end up needing to do.
Quote by wannabe jesus
ignore em, you dont need a half stack but you want one and theres nothin wrong with that, it looks cooler & you can modify the tone more, but which one to get? I recently brought a peavey valveking head for £215 around $315 (great offer) and the matching cab is ussually £199/$299 though id recommend maybe a marshall 1960 cab instead for a better sound for around £350/$500. So yeah definately get a stack/half stack if you can afford it
Gear -

Gibson 1967 flying V (cherry)!

Marshall JCM2000 half stack

Boss SD-1

Check out my Metal band KickFist at www.myspace.com/Kickfist
^
feel free to add me
Quote by atla18
I play pretty much anything really. I'm looking at a halftack because my Crate MX120 is getting pushed to far when I play it at shows.

Do you play metal, or do you play blues? At that price range, it's one or the other.

If you play metal, get a Randall RG100ES and an Ampeg V412. Used. That'll run you about 400 dollars. If you don't want a randall, get an Ampeg VH140c or a Crate GX130c.

If you play blues/jazz, get a combo or a V50.
Well new you could get a Peavey Windsor which is a good amp if classic rock is your thing. Used you could find quite a bit of stuff. A couple noteworthy craigslist finds have been a Carvin X100B half stack for $225, a B-52 AT-100 for $300, and a Fender Bassman for $600 so yeah, deals are out there, you just have to be patient.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Mesa/Boogie F-50/F-30
Mesa/Boogie DC 3/DC5

ALL used on Ebay/craigslist....

+1. A good tube combo will KILL any half stack in that price range, both in quality and tone
+1 to Alfred's suggestions.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by atla18

Dude, Half-Stacks are no louder than combos, its only wattage that matters.
Eck, My drummer has that Mg-stack. Two of them in fact, they seem to be crapping out. One already has. Tone is decent, but horrible for a halfstack. Id go for a B-52, They get louder and sound better
This is why I am starting to hate UG. The amount of bull**** in this thread is astounding.

Here's thought: If he wants a 700$ tube amp, why the hell are you suggesting blackhearts?
They sound like ****. My cube 30x sounds better, and trust me, I've compared both amps.
Quote by gnaraaron
DONT get the mg, the only tube stack i can think of for that money is either the peavey windsor, or the valveking, neither are very good.
check out blackheart amps, the handsome devil head which is 350
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_BH15H%20Blackheart%20Handsome%20Devil%20Guitar%20Amplifier%20Head_-1_10052_10002_-49957214_cmCategorySA-10001
and then just get like a 2 12 cab from avatar. i doubt you're gonna need much more than the 15watt head, mainly because it's tube, and extremely loud. it can easily drowned out drums,bass, and just about everyone else. you really dont need 100 watts(tube) especially if you're just going to be jamming with some friends and playing inside. i've played with a friend of mine who had this set up, and it was deafening inside.

so i bet a valveking is worse than your heartke?

listen here buddy, dont say valvekings are bad amps you obviously have no eq-ing skills.
Quote by bulletrocks522
Dude, Half-Stacks are no louder than combos, its only wattage that matters.

Wrong.

Speaker efficiency, surface area of the speaker, and the efficiency of the power transformer all have an influence on volume.
Quote by brutalmania
so i bet a valveking is worse than your heartke?

listen here buddy, dont say valvekings are bad amps you obviously have no eq-ing skills.

How would you know? Yeah, that's what I thought.

ValveKings are terrible amps. Deal with it.
Maybe an Egnater Rebel half stack, I think they're around 750 at guitar center
Quote by imgooley
Wrong.

Speaker efficiency, surface area of the speaker, and the efficiency of the power transformer all have an influence on volume.

Sorry, I guess I was mistaken.
Dont listen to me TS, im just a 13 year old n00b.
Quote by bulletrocks522
Sorry, I guess I was mistaken.
Dont listen to me TS, im just a 13 year old n00b.

It's alright.

But your not a n00b. I thought you were older

Also: I mistakenly said power transformer when I meant output transformer.
Quote by saito816
Maybe an Egnater Rebel half stack, I think they're around 750 at guitar center

20W of gimmickry.

pass.

Don't judge me.
hmm the estrogen level needs to calm down in here.

your amp crapping out doesn't have anything to do with it being a combo or half stack, it's b/c you were running a SS amp over half volume which is roughly where it starts passing its 'comfort zone' and gets flabby. you're not getting a good half stack for under 1100 or so w/o going used, maybe an ok one, but not a GOOD one.

Valve kings are NOT terrible amps, just terrible EQ'ers make them sound terrible, and blackhearts are not terrible either, once again just terrible EQ'ers/players.

personal experience, though it's kinda biased, but i'm not a tone-noob.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by slash_rocks2005
hmm the estrogen level needs to calm down in here.

your amp crapping out doesn't have anything to do with it being a combo or half stack, it's b/c you were running a SS amp over half volume which is roughly where it starts passing its 'comfort zone' and gets flabby. you're not getting a good half stack for under 1100 or so w/o going used, maybe an ok one, but not a GOOD one.

Valve kings are NOT terrible amps, just terrible EQ'ers make them sound terrible, and blackhearts are not terrible either, once again just terrible EQ'ers/players.

personal experience, though it's kinda biased, but i'm not a tone-noob.

+1 on all but the SS thing. I like SS amps for metal, always have, and they can get loud. Like a Sunn Beta Lead.
Quote by imgooley
+1 on all but the SS thing. I like SS amps for metal, always have, and they can get loud. Like a Sunn Beta Lead.

or ampeg vh-140c. i know you love that one.

BAD ss amps sound bad at high volume. good ones do not.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
or ampeg vh-140c. i know you love that one.

BAD ss amps sound bad at high volume. good ones do not.

Bad amps sound bad at any volume.
Quote by imgooley
Bad amps sound bad at any volume.

that too. but especially at the types of ear-shattering volumes that 13 year old nephews like to produce.

Don't judge me.
Page 1 of 2