Hi all,

I'm taking part in a debate in 2 weeks on the motion 'Real fans don't steal music', and we are against it so argueing 'Real fans do steal music'. (Note we didn't choose to argue this way, we just have to, so please dont all just tell me that I'm wrong).
One of the points that came up when we were discussing possible arguments was whether bands make most of they're money from record sales, merchandise or touring. So I was wondering if anyone could give me specific examples of where bands make their money, and also either a specific or general breakdown of what percentage of profits goes to the actual band for tours compared to music sales.

Any other points you think are related to the debate please let me know.

Thank you all very much,
Rob
tl;dr : IM BETTER THAN YOU
Well, theres a difference between REAL fans and GOOD fans.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
i have an R kelly thermos
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Most bands make money from touring and merch. Although the labels have cottoned onto this and are starting to impose deals in which they start taking money from the bands live cut. Look up stuff about 360 deals.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Most bands make money from touring and merch. Although the labels have cottoned onto this and are starting to impose deals in which they start taking money from the bands live cut. Look up stuff about 360 deals.

This.
Count yourself lucky, I had to argue for bonded labour...we won though.

☻/

/▌

/ \

PSN ID: Lord-MacTooth
many bands dont care bout sales, like lamb of god, they incite people not to buy their record, that they should DL them instead, but they make their money from tour
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Musicians make money from touring while film producers make their money at cinemas. Downloading music is only good since the band gets new fans. I can take myself as an example; I wouldn't be listening to half of the bands I do listen to if I had to buy their record, 'cause I wouldn't.
Bands make money from concert tickets. The labels get most of the money from CDs.

Muse actually don't mind you downloading their music, if it wasn't for illegal downloads they wouldn't have been noticed in America, so a massive part of their fanbase and money, comes from illegal downloading.
CD sales and royalties from radio stations.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Thanks for the info on 360 sales, very interesting.

Just again, I was wondering if anyone knows any specific figures, eg 'I played a small gig and my band got 60% of the ticket sales' or 'I have a song on itunes and i get 30p for every 79p sale'

Thank you all,
Rob
tl;dr : IM BETTER THAN YOU
The best argument you will EVER have is simply "In Rainbows".
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Depends on the band, most small bands make little to nothing on tour due to production costs. Publishing and merchandise are usually the big ones as touring costs so much money to make a good profit unless your The Rolling Stones.
Quote by ScottElwood
The best argument you will EVER have is simply "In Rainbows".

That doesn't answer the bloody question..............