Hi can someone please suggest some scales that I must learn if I want to improve my guitar playing thanks,Ian
G, D, C, B flat.

Then you need to learn the majority of your minor scales if you play metal.

Pentatonic scales are also very easy.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
all of them? k maybe not but atleast the basics. pentatonic, minor major and modes will help alot too
You don't have to learn scales to improve guitar playing. Scales are just a method of writing songs and such.
To improve technique, I'd recommend starting Steve Vai's '10 Hour Workout'. It helps incorporoate string skipping, alt picking, speed, and just about everything else.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Pentatonics, major, minor & blues - when you've got that down look at modes. For the record, scales are importantnot only do they help you write your own stuff but they get your fingers used to playing common patterns in music = you can play other peoples stuff easier too. Good luck, and use a metronome!!
Quote by Baby Joel
You don't have to learn scales to improve guitar playing. Scales are just a method of writing songs and such.
To improve technique, I'd recommend starting Steve Vai's '10 Hour Workout'. It helps incorporoate string skipping, alt picking, speed, and just about everything else.

Of course, without learning your scales you won't know how to use those techniques with songs, what notes to play, or anything really.

Learn the scales. It will enhance your knowledge of the guitar dramatically.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud