Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of buying myself a new amp. I'm playing through a Peavey Bandit 112 at the moment and the guitar I use is a Jackson DKMG. The amp isn't that bad really, but I want a sharper, thicker tone.

I play mainly metal like Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Maiden etc. but also stuff like Killswitch Engage.

Is playing through the computer a good alternative that can even replace the amp? I have never played through a computer before so feel free to tell me how to do, what equipment I need etc.

I can spend around 350-450 US dollars.

Hope you have the time to help me!
For that price range you could get a Peavey 5150 combo used, which is like the standard for metal.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
Quote by woodsballplayer
For that price range you could get a Peavey 5150 combo used, which is like the standard for metal.

+1
or a Peavey XXX combo (used on Ebay)
if you want more versatility
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Yep 5150/6505 used should do the trick very well...
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
they're right. i have a 5150 and it sounds beautiful.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Thanks for the quick replies! I forgot to tell you that I'm only playing at home, but I suppose that I could use the amp you recommended for home use?
a valveking?
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by StayMetal123
Thanks for the quick replies! I forgot to tell you that I'm only playing at home, but I suppose that I could use the amp you recommended for home use?

well 60w of tube power in your house is OVERKILL !!!
i suggest looking at the Peavey Vypyrs for home use and add the sanpera II foot switch when your at it.
feel free to add me
Line 6 Pod + Atomic amp, if you're willing to spend a little more.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
Line 6 Pod + Atomic amp, if you're willing to spend a little more.

this too.......
feel free to add me
Aight, what about recording the sound to the computer? It can't replace the amp, I get that, but how do you do? Do you have to spend like 500 bucks on a line6 pod III? Is there and "cheap" ways of getting the sound to the comp?

I'm sure there like 10 million posts about this already, but please?
Line 6 Toneport/Amp Farm?
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
There's lots of cheap ways to get yourself plugged into your computer. Like Cavalier said, toneports are pretty popular. I'm having a brainfart and can't think of anything else.. lol..
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
I take the headphone out from my little Roland into a mixer (to add later effects) and thence to the soundcard, monitoring with headphones in the card's output jack.
But some sounds are better mic'd up from my Yale so then its mic to mixer etc.
Others who only need to input guitar might use one of the recording interfaces designed for the job.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Okey, I've been doing some research on the Peavey Vypyr (75 watt). It sound good to me, but there's one thing I'm lost at and that's how the Sanpera footswitch works, what features does it have and so on? I will try to find out more information about this on Peaveys website, buy if you have any experience with it please tell me.
Quote by StayMetal123
Okey, I've been doing some research on the Peavey Vypyr (75 watt). It sound good to me, but there's one thing I'm lost at and that's how the Sanpera footswitch works, what features does it have and so on? I will try to find out more information about this on Peaveys website, buy if you have any experience with it please tell me.

The Sanpera is a foot controller for the amp and gives you access to some more effects like a wah. Plus it gives you up to 400 presets (up from the 12 on the amp).

I've heard numerous "tube snobs" literally rave about how good the Vypyr 75 sounds so it would probably be a good bet for you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by StayMetal123

i dont have it but my cuzin has it
the sanpera gives you full control of the effects and stompboxes
the sanpera II has a screen on it so you could see what preset number you are and what string are you tuning
it has the looper function
2 expression pedals (wah, etc.)
it ihas a metal casing (so its durable)
feel free to add me
either get a vypyr, or a pod x3 and save up for studio monitors
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.