I just got my new '08 Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Honeyburst with a 50's neck today. I ordered this through mail so i can't go back to the store that easily, it has to be shipped.

Anyway; I started playing it and it all worked well. I love the sound and everything about this guitar. I love the non-glossy finish, no smudges or fingerprints to worry about, and your hand doesn't "stick" to it like the glossy finishes does.

In my neck pickup, i noticed a few hairs (yes, they looked very much like human hairs!) that went down in the humbucker pickup, so i teared them out because they were sticking out between the strings...

After i took out the hairs, however, my neck pickup did not work any more. It just doesn't give any sound at all. My bridge pickup still works perfectly fine though.

What could have happened here? The pickups on my LP are open (there's no covers on them) and all i did was pick out some straws of hair that was stuck down in the middle of the pickup.

Any ideas? Do i have to actually open up the pickup and see if any of the wires loosened or something? And do i NEED to take of the strings to do that? I just don't want to spend another week waiting for a new guitar (ship back, wait for the shop to check it, send me a new one... the postal service is slow here). And i can't understand why a few straws of hairs would cause my pickup not to work anymore...
a lose wire?

take it to the store, plus dont mention the hair thing.
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Human Hair is now the new Soldering Iron...
Gear:

Tokai Les Paul LS65
Carvin MTS3200 212 Combo
Boss SD-1 with Monte Allums GT Mod
Dunlop Crybaby

100 Watt Marshall JCM900 2x12 Combo For Sale! £400! PM Me For Details/Offers...
Don't open it up or tamper with it yourself because if it does have to go back they can refuse to repair because you have messed around with it all ready. Just send it back, I'd rather wait another week then be permanently stuck with an expensive guitar that doesn't work.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
shows you how the gibson quality control has rapidly deteriorated recently
Well, it wasn't any type of wire. It was way to thin. It looked anf felt pretty much like any medium long type of hair from a person.

But i think it was just a coincidence that the neck pickup stopped working just when i did it. I just noticed that the middle position (both pickups) of the pickup switch just didnt have any sound. A few hours ago i got sound from only the bridge pickup when i had the selection switch in the middle position.

Now suddenly, i get no sound when i have the selection switch in the middle position. Now i have to have it in the bridge pickup position to get any sound at all...

So to me it seems like the pickup switch is the culprit here, and that the hair thing was just a coincidence, because i placed the pickup selector in the bridge position when i plucked out the hair straw and put it back in neck pickup position and got no sound... So the pickup switch must have just failed exactly then...
I was about to say - the fine wire used for pickup windiongs could kind of look like hair, I really hope that wasn't what it was.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I was about to say - the fine wire used for pickup windiongs could kind of look like hair, I really hope that wasn't what it was.

yes.

taht would be bad.
Quote by steven seagull

Well if that's the case, it shouldnt be sticking out of the pickup itself and up between the strings now should it? Even though my BurstBucker Pro's don't have covers on them (they don't ship with covers on this Faded model).
Thats not normal

Id send it back, I wouldnt be messing around with it myself as the warranty should cover it
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Most likely those hairs were the wire for the pickups. If you pulled 1 and it came out then no more pickup. Send it back or find a gibson authorized shop.
Quote by flashmdg
shows you how the gibson quality control has rapidly deteriorated recently

Incredible. This is why I refuse to buy any new Gibson products maybe sans a Custom Shop.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Mayby It was angrilly thrown in the back of the delivery truck by a disgruntled UPS worker. Or mayby Gibson really does suck at quality controll.
Proud owner of a Les Paul