I have been eye balling the Road King from Mesa Boogie. I am thinking about selling my Dual Rectifier Solo head and Marshall TSL pending a few questions on the Road King.

1. THe later 3 channel Solo heads (like mine) have two different voicings on channel 2&3. 2 has a more sucked mids sound and 3 has a bigger "mid drive" sound. Does the Road King channel 3&4 share identical characterisitics?

2. With the EL34's going, can you mimick the sound of the Stiletto very well? I like the idea of having the Solo head crushing 6L6 sound it's famous for, and a hotroded Marshall sound in one amp. (allowing me to get rid of my Solo head and Marshall all together).

3. How do you like your Road King overall?

I'm thinking a Road King and Mark 5 side by side should be a sweet combo and could basically nail just about any sound I'd like..??..
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Its kinda the last amp anyone would ever need.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
i would suggest going to try one out before pulling the plug on such an expensive amp, but yea like the guy above me said, it is the last amp you would ever need. i've never played a roadking, but i have played a roadster which is supposed to be the same amp minus the ability to switch tube types and i thought it sounded killer.

i would message a guy named MatrixClaw on these forums, he knows anything and everything about Mesa amps and i think he owned a Roadking at one point.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by sesstreets

No it isn't. It's hideously overpriced and you can get far better.
Quote by Horlicks
No it isn't. It's hideously overpriced and you can get far better.

care to give some suggestions then?

also, keep in mind, in the US they're not as expensive as the are in England since they're made here.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by sesstreets

Why, because it has a bunch of features?
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
The road king overall is pretty good. Not the best amp I've used by a long shot, but overall pretty good.

Channel 1 is your everyday clean channel. Pretty dark, like most mesa's with a good bit of high end bite like a Fender. The headroom is pretty weak. I usually had the channel volume running over halfway just so the volume would be equal to the other 3 channels. I run all the tubes at once on channel 1 to increase the headroom as well.

Channel 2 was good for a bluesy or vox clean/OD channel. It had a little more headroom and allowed for a different EQing than the first channel, nothing really special over channel 1 here.

Channel 3 is the main channel on the amp IMO. It's best used for lead guitar work if you're playing metal, dirty bluesy drive, or classic rock lead. Fair amount of adjustability. Switching between Raw, Modern and Vintage gives you about 90% of the tonal change. Adjusting the knobs and tubes really doesn't do much on this amp, which is rather disappointing. If you're a Dream Theater fan, this is the channel were you get Petrucci's lead tone. If you prefer smoother leads, such as a Bogner, Mark IV, Soldano, Peavey, Line 6 this lead channel might be very plain sounding to you.

Channel 4 is the same as channel 3 but with boosted highs and mids. This is the ideal metal rhythm channel. The gain is different flavored than a recto, and a good bit tighter. One thing I noticed is how little gain it has. Just doesn't ever feel saturated, just gets somewhat fizzy and still stays somewhat spikey. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, but if you really like the Mark IV, Diezel, Bogner, Peavey 5150 tones the roadking will be disappointing. It's not as bassy as I would like, really seems to lack a good girthy tone. I had the bass and mids cranked with the treble about halfway and I adjusted with the presence knob. Just couldn't get a straight up punch you in the chest tone.

Pros:
Allows you to adjust heavily
High resale value
Mesa Boogie Reliability
4 independant channels
Progressive Linkage
Stereo outputs/specific cab outputs

Cons:
No matter how much you adjust it, it always sounds about the same
Weighs in at like 65lbs, very large and heavy
High resale value (if you're buying it)
Expensive tube change
If you want to control it with midi it will cost you about $800 for a unit to control every aspect of the roadking

I've own/ed a Mesa F100, Mark IV, Roadking, Framus Dragon, Splawn Quickrod, Vetta II and a few lesser amps; now my main amp is the Vetta II and I will occasionally play the Quickrod. Next to a Vetta, the road king just isn't very appealing. The Vetta sounds real, plays real, is louder, tighter, cleaner, dirtier, easier to use, cheap to maintain, and is more adjustable. If I were to get another amp it would be some sort of bluesy amp, probably the Vox Nighttrain.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by sesstreets

+1

Thats how I see it. You can get something better for less, but the Road King is the most all around amp made if you love the Mesa dirty tone. I'm yet to see a amp that can do what the RK can.
Corey: I noticed the same thing about my F30, the Express I tried and the Lonestar I tried, the EQ is very unresponsive.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Magik19
+1

Thats how I see it. You can get something better for less, but the Road King is the most all around amp made if you love the Mesa dirty tone. I'm yet to see a amp that can do what the RK can.

Amps like the Diezel Herbert, and Bogner XTC have more versatility than the Road King. They have a lot more response in their EQ, gain and other controls. The Road King, and just about all of the rectos have that problem.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio