....actually stay away from drugs? It kind of feels like all that comes with the job. But I'm really not interested in doing that stuff. As someone who doesn't do drugs or drink, and this may sound cheesy, but I feel like theirs plenty of people who you can get inspired from musically, but no one you can look up to as a positive figure.

Every guitarist I think of has done quite a bit of drugs (John Frusciante, and Jimi Hendrix for example). A friend of mine thinks that the amount of drugs you take varies directly to how good your music is. We actually get a kick out of saying that. lol

Anyway Are their any musicians who haven't done any drugs, or is that like trying to find waldo on a world map?

(Also, I'm not Straight Edge. I'm not against people doing it, I honestly don't care, but I find it pointless so I don't. Also the occasional cigar is okay. Hee Hee Hee.)

(Also sorry, but I just found out about making things bold and in italics and the such, so I'm having fun playing with this stuff. lol)

Thanks in Advance.
i know of a lot of bands that drink a lot but don't do drugs. avenged sevenfold and lamb of god would be two examples
I've never done anything and I'm in a Death Metal band

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by toshiro umezewa
I dont do drugs.

He means musicians that people want to listen to.

...nawww i'm kidding i'm sure you're great
Kinda sad if you think about it. But then again it's just like how everyone else is. If I ever do become famous I'll probably wear a mask, because I don't want the world's eyes on me. Also if I wear a mask I have a reason to not do things. lol to be mysterious and the such.
Well, loads of older bands at least have stopped doing hard drugs. The Chili Peppers come to mind.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
OH and Howard Jones from Killswitch Engage said in an interview that he's not much of a drinker.
Angus Young doesnt even drink, he prefers a nice cup o' tea, and look how he is on stage O_o
Well obviously straight-edge bands don't do drugs. And Frank Zappa wouldn't even let the musicians that toured with him do drugs.
The Killers, most indie bands, I'm pretty sure Buckethead doesn't do drugs, along with Paul Gilbert (Though half the time Paul looks a bit stoned).
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Oh I'm glad to hear it actually. I think not using drugs makes you a bad ass. Cause it's honestly easier to just do as many as you can find. I'm glad to hear their are some people here who don't do drugs either.
I tired some stuff, but in the end there are "do"s and "don't"s.
I don't really care what and how a certain musician acts cause I don't care, all I'm interested in is what I hear.
I don't like S-Edge and all that crap, cause why is it important that you have to point out that you are drinking, smoking or taking drugs.
I rather listen to Man-O-War that hear about that crap...
Last edited by In-f3st at Feb 14, 2009,
i never have
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
There are plenty, but I'd like to point out that the thread under this one is called Best Stoner Bands.
¤¤¤†¤¤¤

Quote by 'idioldude'

your a fucking retard i know how sinister is spelled but that is not how he spells his stage name it is synyster

Butthurt fanboys FTL
I actually think most people I know have done drugs. People make it sound like it's something that only bad people do or some **** like that Coming from where I do, and to an extent the way I have been brought up: I find this a bit weird.

I think drugs certainly change music, but not necessarily for better or for worse, as this is objective. Maybe you have to understand why people take drugs, first.
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
John McLaughlin never did any drugs at all

Ironic, as his music sounds great on drugs.

As said before, look up straight-edge music and Frank Zappa.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
nothing wrong with a lil weed while jammin....alcohol is the stuff to stay away from.
'Music is the best"
Zappa
What about Josh Klinghoffer? He doesn't seem like a very drug ridden person, seeing as how I haven't heard much about him with drugs, and helped write a song about how drugs are bad.
I think that the two most famous musicians that stay away from all the stuff are Frank Zappa and Ian Anderson (and all of Jethro Tull, I think)

I'm sure prog rockers in general didn't really use that kind of stuff. I could never imagine members of Yes doing drugs.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by therussian
I think that the two most famous musicians that stay away from all the stuff are Frank Zappa and Ian Anderson (and all of Jethro Tull, I think)

I'm sure prog rockers in general didn't really use that kind of stuff. I could never imagine members of Yes doing drugs.

You mean Anderson was clean and sober when he did "Aqualung"?! Yikes.

But, back to the topic. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley frequently (and proudly) claim they've never done drugs or drank to excess.
"Music is all about wanting to be better at it."

~Geddy Lee

Quote by titsmcgee852
Hahaha. Probably the best post i've seen from an 08'er.

He was talking about me.
I don't know about idols or anything like that, but I can personally attest to the statement that music doesn't have to be made with drug's influence. My band has been straight-edge from the start, and our presence is enough to inspire me to compose something great.
Two hands, holding one guitar.
Quote by Isidora
You mean Anderson was clean and sober when he did "Aqualung"?! Yikes.

But, back to the topic. Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley frequently (and proudly) claim they've never done drugs or drank to excess.

That's what I've heard. I couldn't believe it either, especially when I saw the antics that he pulled live (some video on youtube of it)
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Also, Brad Delp and Tom Scholz (Both of Boston) never did drugs, drank, and were vegetarians.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Bruce Springsteen has never done drugs, but he used to drink. Not a lot, but he has been drunk on stage more than once. Most of it comes from the fact that he didn't have any money in the bank until 1985 and by that time he had pretty much settled down.
Henry Rollins, I believe he doesn't even touch alcohol, I could be wrong but I seem to remember something about him never doing anything even remotely narcotic.
Easily the second best guitarist from Oklahoma City
Quote by thebasshacker
Henry Rollins, I believe he doesn't even touch alcohol, I could be wrong but I seem to remember something about him never doing anything even remotely narcotic.

He actually did tons of acid during Black Flags later years.

J Mascis is straight edge.
The singer Bono of U2 doesn't do drugs. (I'm not sure if I spelled his name right)
Some great songs are made about the impact of drugs, it seems drugs help to make great songs, but im with you, i hate the idea of that. Its like, "Welcome to the band, now choose your drug, we have heroin, crack, weed, etc."
And by drugs im gna assume you dont mean alcohol.

Jack Johnson
Marley's(they do weed, but thats in their religion so cant really say its because of the music and band)
Sum 41(dnt beleive they have done any drugs)

just a few that i can think of. (Not many :S)
As far as I know John 5 doesn't do drugs, and he doesn't even drink, which is admirable, considering the people he's worked with (e.g Manson).
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab