Basically, I've had some time to visit music stores and try out some gear and wanted to share my impressions with you guys. Maybe this is a pointless idea. If so, tell me and I'll delete this. I've tried some stuff that isn't mentioned too often on these forums though, so maybe it's worth a read.

I'll also link to some pics shortly. Done.

First, the Ibanez PGM301 (1400&euro, quite a versatile axe. Unplugged, it was resonant and quite bright, but not painfully trebly or anything like that. Hooked it up to the Laney VC30 (1x12" version, 640&euro and liked the cleans from the start. There was hardly any EQ setting that sounded bad, you could go nuts with that thing. It was a nicely warm sound that worked together well with the PGM's rather bright character. There was a significant drop in volume when switching from the humbuckers of the PGM to it's single coil (or the in-between positions for that matter), even though the single coil was set up very high, it was close to touching the strings. With distortion, I didn't like the Laney too much. It was okay, but not as good as I'd have expected after hearing the nice cleans. The sound I got from the PGM's bridge pup was a little dissappointing, I expected more depth. Not like it was bad - just not as excellent as I had hoped for. The neck pup was much better, the tone shredders dream of. It was warm, yet defined and just soooo smooth. It worked well not only for high gain stuff, bluesy tones were nice, too.

The things I said about the VC30 apply to the VC15 (450&euro as well. It had less balls due to the smaller speaker I guess, but all in all they were very similar. I'd recommend them, they're good for what they cost and more versatile than I thought, though they won't do modern metal. Classic rock and blues are no problem though.
The PGM was good, too. Not the best guitar I ever played and the single coil sounds didn't even come close to my strat - but for the occasional funk lick, they're good enough. It's not cheap, but the price is still okay.

The Ibanez RG1570 (800&euro: Well, I'm just gonna tell you what you probably already know: The pups were average, so was the sound. But the body was relatively resonant, so there's some potential if you swap the pups. The Edge Pro worked perfectly. I don't remember what amp I tried it with, but it could do pretty much any style of music I threw at it. Handled extremely well and for 800€ there are few competitors. Recommended.

The Mayones Setius Pro Lizard (1600&euro: Super strat, two humbuckers, Schaller Floyd. Twice the price of the RG and considerably better, though not as versatile as it lacks the single coil. The tones it did though were top notch. It was also more resonant then the RG or the PGM and handled just as well. The pups had plenty of output, but worked well for lower gain stuff as well as t3h br00talz. Again, I forgot what amp I used with it. Doesn't matter, it was great and I recommend it, even though it is expensive.

Framus Panthera Studio Custom (1800&euro: Excellent handling, excellent tones, as versatile as it gets and it looks pretty, too. It looks like some sort of LP, but doesn't have a set neck, but a bolt on with a very long neck tenon for better sustain (just like the other Pantera and the Renegade, by the way). As expected, it sounds somewhat like an LP, but it has better attack and way more output than, let's say, the average Gibson. That's because the bridge pup is a Duncan SH-5, which makes the guitar great for high gain rhythm playing. But thanks to the HSH configuration and rather unique switching, it can nail other tones as well. The single coil tones it gets were surprisingly good - I usually don't expect much from splitted humbuckers, but this time they came close to the tone of my strat. It didn't have the "depth" of a good Les Paul (though it still smoked the 2k€ Gibsons in the Store) but still had way more bass than a strat or super strat. The guitar basically combined the quality of tone of the Setius with the versatility of the PGM. It is pricey, but it's worth the huge wad of cash you'd have to pay for it.

Next, the Panthera Custom (1700&euro: Same as the Studio Custom, but with different pups. It had a HH configuration, no coil split and didn't have the SH-5, but a Duncan JB in the bridge. I liked it a lot less than the Studio Custom, here is why: the JB sounded a little honky and didn't like high gain as much as the SH-5. You'd assume that it'd be better for more traditional genres, classic rock maybe. But even with less distortion, it wasn't all that great. If I wanted to use this guitar for classic rock, I'd swap the JB for a lower output pup, if I wanted to play metal with it, I'd go for the SH-5. The JB just didn't seem to work for it. The neck pup sounded fine though and was versatile, high gain leads as well as blues and clean chords sounded great. The sustain was amazing, even a tad better than on the Studio Custom, but all in all the Studio Custom was the better guitar. I don't recommend buying the Pantera Custom unless you swap the JB, but even than it's not all too versatile and it's questionable whether it's worth the money.

Framus Renegade (1000€ though they are available for 850€ depending on colour): Basically a tele with humbuckers. It sounded good, was a pretty simple guitar all in all and therefore cheaper than the other ones I tried. The coil split function wasn't too great, sounded too thin. It wasn't useless, but the other guitars had better coil split sounds. The body was very resonant (due to the oil finish maybe) and the humbucking sounds were great for rock and blues. Hard, if not impossible to beat in it's price range. Looks weird though, but I recommend it anyway.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 14, 2009,
Now, some semi-acoustics:

Höfner Verythin (1470&euro: It is indeed very thin (the guy who came up with the name deserves to be beaten with a stick). It looked a little strange with the small horns. It played well enough though (relatively fat neck) and the sound did justify the price. I have no idea what pups were used, but damn, it sounded nice. Great for blues, jazz, rock and stuff like that. Not for metal obviously, but hey, it’s a semi acoustic. Attack and sustain were good. The weight was low compared to other semi acoustics. Recommended if you need a good semi that is somewhat affordable.

Ibanez JSM (2000&euro: Highlight of the day concerning guitars. It sounded very similar to the Höfner and worked for the same styles (it’s the signature model of the fusion guitarist John Scofield after all), but had a little more bass. The handling was similar to the Höfner as well; fat neck, but great playability nevertheless. The reason it was a lot pricier than the Höfner are probably the looks: Flamed maple and abalone inlays come at a price. This is actually the first time in my life that I think that looks are worth the extra money. It was just classy beyond belief. If I had the money, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. Expensive, but still recommended (I’m looking for used ones on ebay )

Framus AK1974 (2600&euro: Weirdest sh*t ever. I’ll have to explain a little more here, because it is rather unique. It’s a semi acoustic with a one-piece maple neck through and 24 frets. The body is maple, too, but not laminated, but made of two massive pieces of wood (one for each side of the neck) that have been routed in order to get a hollow instrument. The body’s topped with a thick maple cap. It’s all AAA figured wood, except for the cap, which is AAAA. All of that together might explain the horrendous price tag.
It has two humbuckers and a 6 position rotary switch, which will give you humbucking, split, and out-of-phase sounds.
Surprisingly the guitar had a very bassy sound. So much that playing it through a full stack will probably drown out the bassist in your band. You have to be very careful with your EQ if you play that guitar.
All of it’s sounds were unique – I have never heard anything like it in my entire life, I swear. It worked for a lot of styles, but it didn’t sound typical for anything. Anything but metal was within reach somehow, heck, you could even play country with that thing if you used the out-of-phase options. I played mostly hard rock with it, using the humbuckers in split mode, which sounded best to me.
It was a very well made instrument that played quite well (despite the very very fat neck), but I can’t think of a target group that this guitar could be aimed at. It’s a beautiful guitar in real life, but looks ugly on photos, so don’t let those fool you. Recommended if you like unusual stuff and have lots of money. But I think that for 99.9% of guitarists, there are better guitars at a way more affordable price.

I’ll write some more about a few amps I tried tomorrow if anyone’s interested, but I don’t have the time now.
Nice job The Quailman

im gonna look forward for your amp reviews
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
you tried companies that i see mentioned in threads and thread titles everyday. The words Laney and Ibanez automatically put me in a bad mood because i hear them so often. Framus is starting to get on my nerves as well.
^

nice job! the framus ak1974 review is interesting - wouldn't have expected that!
what amps did you try?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

im gonna look forward for your amp reviews

I concur.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Quote by hendriko
^

nice job! the framus ak1974 review is interesting - wouldn't have expected that!
what amps did you try?

A Diezel VH4, H&K Duotone, H&K Statesman, Framus Ruby Riot and an Orange Rocker 30.

Quote by RHCPFitz
you tried companies that i see mentioned in threads and thread titles everyday. The words Laney and Ibanez automatically put me in a bad mood because i hear them so often. Framus is starting to get on my nerves as well.

Well, I thought the JSM, Höfner and Mayones weren't all that well known here, the others are more common I figure.
Singer in one of my early bands played a Hofner Verithin. Sounded like poo but it did cost about £45 new. But times change. I do hope that guitar did, too.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Singer in one of my early bands played a Hofner Verithin. Sounded like poo but it did cost about £45 new. But times change. I do hope that guitar did, too.

Well, the one I tried was great... Höfner makes some low end guitars, too, I haven't tried those yet.
Framus guitars look so interesting and for their price they have to be relatively good. Man I want one.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
i made a thread for this, it would've been great if you used it, but....
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
sweet, spam is always good, especially when it's about rarer stuff.

really would like to get to try some framuses, lol. and those mayones sound good too (i've read a few magazine reviews, but never seen any in real life).

i agree with you about the JB... to me it's kind of a strange pickup. it's trying to be versatile, but actually ends up being less versatile because of that... it's got metal levels of output, but a rock voicing (and a very 80s rock voicing at that), which means it doesn't really sound right for a lot of things...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^it has to sound right for jeff beck's sound...i hope, don't know much about him (or the pickup, for that matter)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by huevos
Quailman, The picture for the Ibanez RG1570,
Did get that off Google Imagesearch
or do you shop there?

Because it's a shop here in my local city.
But I know they sell stuff online and all

Nah, I just googled it.

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
i made a thread for this, it would've been great if you used it, but....

Sorry man, didn't know that. Now that I made this thread, I'll post the amp reviews I promised here, too. I'll use your thread in the future. Could you tell me the thread title or post a link?

Quote by LaidBack
Framus guitars look so interesting and for their price they have to be relatively good. Man I want one.

I fear they are not good value in the US. You could get a Renegade Pro or Diablo Pro for 1500$ - 2000$, but the customs were priced ridiculously high last time I checked (3000$ for a Panthera Studio Custom! ). Hopefully they'll lower the prices in the US in comparison to last year, because I don't see how they want to compete with the Japanese brands or even the US brands otherwise. Granted, the dollar was weak last year and everything, but still...
Quote by hendriko
^it has to sound right for jeff beck's sound...i hope, don't know much about him (or the pickup, for that matter)

yeah, i'm not too well up on beck either. apparently the original JB pickup was great, but the specs have been changed at least a couple of times since them (allegedly) and (again allegedly) for the worse.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i'm not too well up on beck either. apparently the original JB pickup was great, but the specs have been changed at least a couple of times since them (allegedly) and (again allegedly) for the worse.

yay innovation-_-

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by TheQuailman
Nah, I just googled it.

Sorry man, didn't know that. Now that I made this thread, I'll post the amp reviews I promised here, too. I'll use your thread in the future. Could you tell me the thread title or post a link?

np, just go to my profile and the threads i created its probably the most recent one
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by hendriko
yay innovation-_-

haha, i don't mind innovation when things are getting better...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheQuailman
I fear they are not good value in the US. You could get a Renegade Pro or Diablo Pro for 1500$ - 2000$, but the customs were priced ridiculously high last time I checked (3000$ for a Panthera Studio Custom! ). Hopefully they'll lower the prices in the US in comparison to last year, because I don't see how they want to compete with the Japanese brands or even the US brands otherwise. Granted, the dollar was weak last year and everything, but still...

Yea, I know...but a guy can dream....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Dave_Mc
haha, i don't mind innovation when things are getting better...

apparently they're not

I miss those days in which telephones still had cords on them and you had to turn a wheel to dial...*wanders off dreaming*

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

yeah, that was badass
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As promised, the amp reviews. Again, I’ll link to some pics when I find good ones. I’ll see if I can find any good demos on youtube.

Hughes & Kettner Statesman Quad EL84 (1000€, 900€ in some places): It’s a 40w combo with a 12” speaker that uses four EL84 tubes, as you might have guessed already. It’s got a “British” sound with nice warm clean sounds. It has a “twang” switch for the clean channel though, if you’d like something brighter. You can get overdriven sounds in the clean channel if you turn up the volume past 12 o’clock, but that’s hella loud already, so I didn’t do that for too long. I got a really nice blues sound from it that way.
It’s got an overdrive channel that works best for blues and classic rock. Metal is definitely not possible with this amp, modern metal especially, but it’s looks are a dead giveaway, so I doubt any metalhead would ever try that thing out anyway. The overdrive has lots of upper mids and therefore some bite. It sounds rough, in a good way. People who have an eye on, let’s say, a Marshall DSL401 who could live with a little less gain in the overdrive channel should give this one a try. The cleans especially beat the Marshall hands down. I also liked the crunch a lot better, but that’s just me.
The amp is rather compact, but I played it next to a 2x12” combo and I didn’t think it lacked bass in comparison.
The biggest surprise of all might be that this is not an all-valve amp (kinda like the H&K Switchblade). The power amp is all valve, but the pre amp uses valves and solid state components. Note that this is not a modelling amp or a half-assed attempt at building a hybrid à la AVT. From what I know, the pre amp is constructed like a normal valve pre amp, but one or two gain stages have been replaced with solid state circuitry. The common clichés, that being that solid state components in an amp will make it less responsive or give it a stale sound have been disproven with this amp. I’d even say that it has one of the most responsive clean channels I’ve ever tried (in that price range, anyway).
Quality wise it could compete with the Orange Rocker 30 I tried, which costed slightly more. The Orange had a deeper sound though and a lot of “growl” because of that, especially overdriven. It had less gain on tap than the H&K, but they definitely worked for the same styles of music. The Orange’s clean channel was easier to get overdriven sounds out of. So if you want edge-of-break-up sounds at volumes that won’t kill your ears, the Rocker 30 is worth a look, if you want more clean headroom, the H&K delivers.
I think I should add that although both amps work for the same styles, they still do sound very different and that some of UG’s tone gourmets might disagree with what I’ve written above because of that.
Whatever, I recommend the amp. At least in Europe, it’s great value.

Hughes & Kettner Duotone Combo (2300&euro: Short version: My new favourite amp. The crunch sound of this baby smoked everything else in the store. I’ll get one somehow and I don’t care how many innocent people will have to die for it.
Now for the longer and slightly less sociopathic version: 50 watts, EL34 powered, 1x12” speaker, two channels, gain boost switch, two master volumes, parallel effects loop with a valve and loads of other jazz I forgot. Cool thing is that most of it’s functions can be handled via footswitch, which makes it a great amp for stage use.
Clean it sounded pretty “British”, but not as dark as the amps that coined that term. In fact it didn’t have too much bass, but I liked that (I don’t want a boomy sound). The EQ had a big impact on the clean sound, I could easily dial in warm tones as well as bright ones that worked for funk and stuff like that. The clean channel is very very hard to distort, you have to crank it really loud for that. The crunch you get then is as good as the clean tones, nice and responsive.
When using the overdrive channel… well I told you my thoughts on that before, didn’t I? The sound quality was extremely high. It nailed classic rock, hard rock and higher gain stuff that requires a traditional sound and feel. It doesn’t like modern metal sounds though, even with the gain boosted. Scooping the mids is a big no no with this amp. Other than that it was pretty easy to eq, just having all eq pots on 12 o’clock sounded great already. The sound is kinda like Marshall, though non of the modern Marshalls I played come close.
The amp was incredibly responsive, you could have a fat crunch sound dialed in and it was still possible to get bluesy and even clean tones when playing around with the guitar’s volume pot.
I recommend it. I also want it’s babies.

Framus Ruby Riot I (1800&euro: 2x12” combo, 30 watts, EL34, two channels, tube rectifier, tube buffered effects loop, practically a tube in every position possible (11 of them all in all). Again, we have something distinctively “British” here.
It sounds a little like an AC30 when clean. Very warm and smooth. The cleans were even a tiny bit better than the Duotone’s, but that is subjective on the highest level possible. The channel wasn’t as flexible as on the Duotone though, it always remained warm and smooth.
The overdrive channel wasn’t as smooth though. Again, a very British sound, loads of mids and bite, a rough sound and surprisingly a lot of gain. But again, no metal sounds, you just can’t eq it for that. With an EQ-pedal maybe, but I haven’t tried that. I wonder why it had so much gain to be honest, it’s not needed for traditional sounds and the amp as a whole just doesn’t work for modern stuff.
But, when the gain was kept low, I got some great classic rock and blues tones. It sounded rougher than the Duotone, which some might prefer, I liked the Duotone’s smoothner crunch better.
Oh yeah, 30 watts of tube through two twelve inch speakers is plenty feckin’ loud. This amp won’t need to be miced, even you play big gigs. Again, recommended. I actually consider buying the head version (because the Duotone is way too expensive and because of portability. If anyone could tell me how the Ruby stacks up against an Engl Classic, that’d be great). There is a Ruby Riot II as well, which I have not tried so far. I heard it had less gain then the original Ruby and got a very nice tremolo effect. I can’t know for sure how good it is, but I figure it’s worth checking out.

I have tried these amps with semi acoustics mainly, the next amp was tried with solid body guitars:

Diezel VH4 (2700&euro: Amp head, 100 watts, forgot what tubes, 4 channels, more knobs and switches than the NASA ground control in Houston.
Clean: I liked that one, it was somewhat like Hiwatt, somewhat like Fender and worked well for anything that required a bright sound. Excellent amp for funk imo. Even though it was bright, it didn’t sound hard or unpleasent. Great clean channel all in all and versatile, too. It wasn’t as good as the clean channel on the Ruby or Duotone, but it was voiced completely differently, so comparing them is probably pointless anyway.
Crunch: Again, not nearly as good as the Ruby or Duotone, but still better than most other amps. You get quite a beefy crunch. Combine this with the amp’s fast attack and you have a killer sound for rhythm playing. Blues is also possible and there’s nothing to complain about the blues tone this amp delivers. One thing though. The crunch channel is an absolute biatch to eq, it took some time to get the tones I wanted. Other than that, it was cool.
Lead: Metal, lots of it. More gain than most people will ever need and luckily easier to eq than the crunch channel. It has a great range of sounds, from stuff like Maiden to modern br00tal music. Fat, saturated metal sound and sustain for days.
Yeat another lead channel: Ridiculous amounts of gain, use this channel for soloing if you use the other lead channel for rhythm playing. Seriously, why anyone would want so much gain is beyond me, but whatever. The sound still never got muddy, but feedback became an issue sometimes.
All in all a great amp that does lots of styles, expecially metal, very well. Just be careful with the “deep” control because it makes the sounds bassy as hell. I’m not much of a metal guy so this amp isn’t for me, I tried it out of sheer curiosity. Still recommended, even though the price will scare away potential customers I guess.

I am easily impressed it seems, since I recommend everything I try. Oh well. Next time I’ll just try some sh*tty stuff and rant about it I guess.

EDIT: Keep in mind that this is all very subjective and that you might feel differently about all these amps if you tried them. I'm just voicing my oppinion and am in no way a pro. I just write down what comes to my mind.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 15, 2009,
Nice job Quailman

love your Diezel and H&K reviews.......
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
more nice reviews

just to give my 2 cents:

- haven't tried the statesman, that's interesting about the SS stuff. you're probably right in that it doesn't matter (lots of people put a ss booster in front of tube amps and that doesn't hurt them), just i'd prefer the amp companies to come clean.

- i liked the duotone i tried, but it sounded a bit "unique", for want of a better word. very nice amp, though.

- i've heard that the framus ruby riot II has a lower gain crunch channel, but i haven't tried either.

- diezel vh4 was great when i tried it. i didn't much like the cleans (they weren't terrible, or even 5150-bad, but not great for the price), but the other 3 channels kicked all kinds of ass.

EDIT: oh yeah, the engl classic- what type of tones do you like? really warm? 'cos the engl classic is really warm...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, warm would be good. I play a strat, so something with lots of bass and mids would be great to get a more balanced tone. I heard people rave about the Classics cleans, which got me interested. I don't know much about the distortion of it though, so I'm not sure about it.

About the Diezel: Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I should have pointed that out in the review I guess: I think that the cleans are meant to cut through the mix, whether they sound nice seems like a less important point. I think I understand the designer's approach in this case, because 99% of people who'll use that amp will be metalheads who need clarity above everything.
But yeah, a halfway decent Fender combo does it better.
just curious, in which music store did you try all the gear?

btw, great review
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Quote by OrangeWalls
just curious, in which music store did you try all the gear?

btw, great review

I tried it in Cologne, Germany. The store itself is just called "music store". They weren't very creative when they named it.

I'm going to sleep now, bye bye people.
Quote by TheQuailman
(a) Yeah, warm would be good. I play a strat, so something with lots of bass and mids would be great to get a more balanced tone. I heard people rave about the Classics cleans, which got me interested. I don't know much about the distortion of it though, so I'm not sure about it.

(b) About the Diezel: Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I should have pointed that out in the review I guess: I think that the cleans are meant to cut through the mix, whether they sound nice seems like a less important point. I think I understand the designer's approach in this case, because 99% of people who'll use that amp will be metalheads who need clarity above everything.
But yeah, a halfway decent Fender combo does it better.

(a) from what i can remember, the overdrive channel was really warm too. not br00talz distortion like you can get from most other engls, much warmer and a lot less gain.

(b) yeah, definitely.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?