What's the general rule of thumb of how long you should leave a tube amp in standby before turning it off between sessions? Sometimes I practice, but it in standby and come back 3-4 hours. Is that too long--should I shut it off?

A couple of times I forgot to come back and left it on overnight--is that really bad?
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
erm, im afraid i cant back it up as i dont have a tube amp, but i would imagine that leaving it that logn cant be good, surely while its still going the tubes are really hot, but i not totally sure, and if your not you might aswell just turn it off straight afetr use, no harm done then
Yeah, generally you are only supposed to leave an amp in standby mode if you're going to be playing it within the next few mins, generally 10 at the max as I've heard. If you're not going to be playing it and you leave it in standby mode, you're going to shorten the time that you're going to be actually playing on your tubes.

So generally, turn the amp off if you're going to be not using it in more than 15 mins. It's not going to take but a few secs to turn it back on anyways.
u only have to use standby when turning it on, not turning it off, u will ruin the tubes
Damn, I was misinformed. I was told by some one you should keep in in standby all day if you plan to play off and on the entire day.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Yeah, like the above poster said you will ruin the tubes if you keep it in standby all day long. You should never leave an amp on when you're not using it, especially a tube amp.
i've also heard very different suggestions how long should a standby last... everything from all day to 10s... so what would be the truth?

20min?
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
standby only heats up the tubes without putting them under full stress.

a few seconds of standby (10-20 secs if you want to be) before turning it on is enough.

turning off, standby isn't required as long as the switches are in the correct position for the next time you turn it on.

personally I wouldn't bother with leaving the amp on standby at all. you might as well save on electricity and turn it off completely.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
30 seconds. some people put it on standby for 30 seconds when turning off too. the tubes cool slower so they last longer apparently. no shocking of the tubes.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
30 seconds. some people put it on standby for 30 seconds when turning off too. the tubes cool slower so they last longer apparently. no shocking of the tubes.

I have always heard t0 'cool them down for 30 seconds or so before turning them off also.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by jcoley2
I have always heard t0 'cool them down for 30 seconds or so before turning them off also.

the whole point of standby is to warm the tubes up.

why would you use it for cooling?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
^ +1

cooling something down by applying current to the heaters isn't exactly the most efficient way of doing it... o_O EDIT: how would they cool slower if you're still using the heaters? all you're doing is heating them for an extra 30 seconds (presumably)... still going to (again, presumably) cool at the same rate once you turn off the heaters/standby...

regarding between sessions, i dunno, half an hour? i think the reason for doing that is that leaving the tubes on gives them less stress than repeatedly turning them on and off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 14, 2009,
All standby does, is cut off voltage to everything but the part of the amp that warms the tubes, I doesn't matter how long you leave the amp on in standby. You just want a minimum of two minutes before you play to allow tubes to warm. And to prevent arcing and allow your tubes to last longer, turn the standby on so that there is no signal going through tubes before you turn the amp off.
Last edited by DeadlyIllness at Feb 14, 2009,
I've also heard that you should switch to standby mode for at least 30 seconds when both turning the amp on and off. It's supposed to be easier on the tubes to give them a graduated warm-up/cool-down. Also because it puts the switches in the right position for the next time, I've made a habit of going to standby for a bit before switching off as well.
yeah, i mean i always switch to standby before turning off too, for that reason (it means it's ready to go for the next time i turn it on)... but i don't think there's any need to switch to standby before turning off, as i already said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i know i just spend 30secs - 1min waiting for it to warm up on standby, then the same time in standby to cool down when shutting it off. just to be safe.
Guitars:
2009 Fender 72 Deluxe Telecaster
Yamaha F-130 Acoustic
Amps:
Blackstar HT5
Effects:
MXR Micro Chorus
R3FX Dual Resistafier
actually, the tubes stays hot for 30 more seconds if you leave it on standby for cooling. i dont know but for me, the louder i play the hotter my tubes get. also, when i leave it on standby, it stays cooler than if i turn off my cable (planet waves circuit thing) and not leave it on standby.cooling it is supposed to make the tubes cool at a slower rate instead of all of a sudden. i leave it on standby for 5 seconds and then turn it off
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack