I've been playing for a couple months, almost one year.
I have a B.C. Rich Warlock, but it's one of the lower-end models and the bridge is bending. I took the guitar to a luthier here in PR (Mike Navarro), and he told me that I had three alternatives. But it would be approx. $140, and since this guitar (a couple years back when my brother bought it) cost only a bit more, I think it's better to just buy a new guitar (the guy also recommended this). Now, I don't really have much money to spend on a guitar, and I don't think I could be able to spend a lot of money on a guitar, but I think I can buy a guitar for around $300 shipped. I have a friend that recommended this guitar:
http://www.rondomusic.com/wrl595tbr.html , and after browsing around a bit I really liked it.
But since I don't know that much about guitars yet, I thought I could get feedback.
I read that lots of people changed the pickups, and I guess eventually I could do that as well, but I think this guitar is good enough for the level I'm at.

I'm also open to suggestions, but it has to ship to Puerto Rico for $300 (or available for sale here).

I play with a Roland Micro Cube, and I play lots of 80s rock, a bit of metal and some softer ballads.
I appreciate all help, thanks.
You should be looking for how it FEELS in your hands. If it's comfortable, then that's it. Tone is all in your fingers and amp.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
save up and buy a real guitar, if you buy another cheap guitar you're gonna end up in the same situation in 6 months, looking for a better one because you've decided yours royally sucks...
My recommended Brands-

Jackson
LTD
Schecter
Please for god's sake don't buy an RG.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Cody_Grey102
You should be looking for how it FEELS in your hands. If it's comfortable, then that's it. Tone is all in your fingers and amp.

Yeah. I mean you should kind of lean towards a guitar geared toward your style. But if you get in there and fall in love with a Telecaster, or a Schecter Tempest or something, I;d go with that. You should really get a guitar you love to play.

EDIT:

but as far as I know, that site has decent quality instruments. I've only played one once, but it was a pretty nice guitar.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Feb 14, 2009,
if you play a lot of rock and metal, get a scheter omen 6, or you could of course get a squire for 100 bucks and just replace the pickups...
My gear:

Memphis les paul (fixin it up as we speak!)
Schecter C1 plus
Ibanez RX 240 (been sold)
Peavey envoy 110 (Pretty dang good!)
Some washburn acoustic...
There are better guitars than the Schecter for metal, easily. For $300 you could get a decent LTD to get your stuff going.
Quote by Cody_Grey102

Yeah, but I don't know what I should look out for when buying the guitar. I've used a couple of guitar's from my friends and with some of them I notice my speed goes up and I get way better sound.

Quote by VanTheKraut
save up and buy a real guitar, if you buy another cheap guitar you're gonna end up in the same situation in 6 months, looking for a better one because you've decided yours royally sucks...
My recommended Brands-

Jackson
LTD
Schecter
Please for god's sake don't buy an RG.

The issue is I don't know if I'm actually getting a good guitar or if I'm getting ripped, off. What should I look out for?
And I've also heard that the guitars from Rondo Music are actually quite good for their prices.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
Yeah. I mean you should kind of lean towards a guitar geared toward your style. But if you get in there and fall in love with a Telecaster, or a Schecter Tempest or something, I;d go with that. You should really get a guitar you love to play.

EDIT:

but as far as I know, that site has decent quality instruments. I've only played one once, but it was a pretty nice guitar.

As I said to the previous posters, I don't know if I'll be getting ripped off or not =\...
So, I should go to some guitar stores and try out different guitars, then write down the ones I like and make a list?

Quote by dwmacfar2
if you play a lot of rock and metal, get a scheter omen 6, or you could of course get a squire for 100 bucks and just replace the pickups...

I play a lot of 80s rock and I really enjoy that 'classic' rock tune from songs like Born to be Wild or those 'anthem' rock songs that everyone knows.
For the money your looking to spend you should be avoiding tremolo to start with and look for simple PU arrangements. These things add cost to a guitar and on a entry level price range would be poor quality anyway (especially the tremolo). They would also take away from the availbale money you need to get a good 'bones' guitar. Neck in good working order, decent stable bridge for staying in tune, Gotoh or Grover tuners etc. 1 to 2 PUs (HB or SC). Your most likely going to end up with Basswood body, mulit-ply maple neck and fingerboard could be rosewood but probably maple.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
For the money your looking to spend you should be avoiding tremolo to start with and look for simple PU arrangements. These things add cost to a guitar and on a entry level price range would be poor quality anyway (especially the tremolo). They would also take away from the availbale money you need to get a good 'bones' guitar. Neck in good working order, decent stable bridge for staying in tune, Gotoh or Grover tuners etc. 1 to 2 PUs (HB or SC). Your most likely going to end up with Basswood body, mulit-ply maple neck and fingerboard could be rosewood but probably maple.

So, I should stay away from features like tremolo.
I read that a set-neck was better than a separate one, that it gets better sustain and tone.
And that I should probably stay clear of active pickups, at least with my current rig.

What types of wood are good?
Quote by TheAceOfHearts
So, I should stay away from features like tremolo.
I read that a set-neck was better than a separate one, that it gets better sustain and tone.
And that I should probably stay clear of active pickups, at least with my current rig.

What types of wood are good?

A set neck is nicer IMO but usually more expensive! So you may get a morer guitar for your money by starting with a bolt-on. On the woods question basswood is often used for the less expensive models and while maple is a high quality tone wood it is more plentiful and therefore cheaper to use. So a maple neck/fingerboard can be had for less. Especially if laminated.
Moving on.....
I'm looking to buy a Gibson LP Studio and have heard that the quality control for these has been dodgy. How obvious will a lower quality one feel in comparison to a higher quality one? What specifically do you look for about a guitar to make sure you're not getting a lemon?
What you should be looking for is how it feels in your hands, sound, build quality, action, also play it for a while if it goes out of tune in 5 minutes dont even bother with it.

EDIT: Also check to make sure the neck is fairly straight with not alot of bending or bowing in it. Some is okay but it can get excessive and thats what you dont want. Also check the neck for any obvious damage like cracks. I guess this would apply mostly to used but sometimes new as well.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Feb 19, 2009,
Thanks.

I feel like there may be some exaggerations when it comes to people knocking on Gibson's lower end quality control. All of the LP Studios I've played have been consistently good and fairly similar to one another, but maybe I just do not really know what to look out for. I'll keep your advice in mind before I make a purchase.
Quote by Zealot31
Thanks.

I feel like there may be some exaggerations when it comes to people knocking on Gibson's lower end quality control. All of the LP Studios I've played have been consistently good and fairly similar to one another, but maybe I just do not really know what to look out for. I'll keep your advice in mind before I make a purchase.

Yeah just make sure you check it thorougly before you buy you know put it through its paces and try different riffs and tones with it to see how it handles it. Gibsons QC has gone down slightly but thats gonna happen when any company is as huge as gibson. Make sure you actually play the one your gonna buy too cause guitars can differ even if they are the same brand and model.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
You should be looking for FEEL and SOUND.

What's the point of having a good-feeling guitar in your hands if it sounds like crap?
And what's the point of having a sweet-sounding guitar if you can't bear to touch it?

Go to a number of guitar shops, Try out a bunch, and bring your amp along a couple of times when you have the selection narrowed down. Once you find something in your price range that you like, see if the store will match another store's prices. Long & McQuade will match any price in town or online.

Hopefully, You'll find what your looking for. I did in my Ibanez Artcore. God, I love that thing.
Go to your local shop and talk to the guys there, you get to know them and they will usually treat you right. I have found that I get better deals and service at the independent shops verses the mega stores. Talk to your Luthier, he can give you some good advice and if he knows what he is doing, he will see the potential for repeat buisness from you. They might even take your old axe in on a trade and let you get something a little nicer. JMO.