Currently I have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I run through an SWR LA15 bass amp (I'm primarily a bassist and don't actually own a guitar amp). For distortion I use a Boss Bass-Overdrive pedal(ODB-3). I'm hoping get some guitar equipment to use instead of the stuff I got for my bass.

I hope to purchase a Peavey ValveKing 112 in the next 6 months.

However, my parents have been asking for suggestions on what to send me for my birthday. I got to thinking that ordering a pedal online would be convenient.

In particular, I was looking at a EHX Big-Muff(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Little-Big-Muff?sku=153340)

also a Boss DS-1 (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DS1-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151258)

I know the pedals are significantly different, but any opinions on the them would be greatly appreciated. Any other pedal suggestions would be great as well.

EDIT: GENRES I play a lot of rock in general (which is pretty broad). Most often though I try and learn songs from bands like metallica, sabbath, iron maiden, etc...
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
Last edited by bigwilly at Feb 14, 2009,
Muff..........

but what genres do you play ???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
genres?
Since you're getting a VK I'll assume that you play metal. In which case yes, a muff or metal muff would be good.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Muff..........

but what genres do you play ???

Whoops, I should have added that. I play a lot of rock in general (which is pretty broad). Most often though I try and learn songs from bands like metallica, sabbath, iron maiden, etc...
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by bainsy911
buy a guitar amp wud be a good idea ( no offence)

Did you miss the part where I said in the next 6 months I'm planning on getting a valveking?

Quote by jamesfarr
If your getting a valveking, Id reccomend an overdrive instead of a distortion

Why is that, and do you have any specific recommendations on overdrives?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by bigwilly
Whoops, I should have added that. I play a lot of rock in general (which is pretty broad). Most often though I try and learn songs from bands like metallica, sabbath, iron maiden, etc...

A different amp will be the best.......... i dont hate the ValveKing but for rock i think a Peavey Classic 30+ OverDrive would be better......
and for an overdrive
Digitech Bad Monkey for a cheap good OD
Fulltone OCD for the GREATEST OD EVUR!!! (expensive)
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 14, 2009,
You don't really need a distortion if thats all your playing, an overdrive would be much more suitable for your needs. I suggest trying out a Bad Monkey.
If your gonna play metal I recommend that you get something else than the VK 112. It's too weak, it doesn't throw the notes out, there's not enough distortion and palm muting doesn't sound good.
Quote by Saitoh
If your gonna play metal I recommend that you get something else than the VK 112. It's too weak, it doesn't throw the notes out, there's not enough distortion and palm muting doesn't sound good.

Ok, well as previously mentioned, overdrive is the way to...and I'll look further into the Fulltone OCD (I looked already and it might be too pricey) and the bad monkey.

But I've noticed a fair amount critique on the amp choice. I saw the suggestion for the peavey classic 30, but I'll keep looking. When I get a little closer to buying the amp I'll come back here for suggestions.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by Saitoh

I was gonna mention this but he seemed pretty heartset on a Valveking.

I'd go with a used Mesa DC-5 and a Fulltone OCD. Probably your best bet.
Quote by The_Bosstone
I was gonna mention this but he seemed pretty heartset on a Valveking.

I'd go with a used Mesa DC-5 and a Fulltone OCD. Probably your best bet.

+1
OR a Mesa/Boogie F-50
OR a Peavey XXX combo
feel free to add me
BIG MUFF!!! but then again its the only one i have used

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
I don't know if you could spend $200 dollars, but the zvex box of metal is amazing.
my gear:
Epiphone LP standard
roland microcube
Quote by bainsy911
buy a guitar amp wud be a good idea ( no offence)

There is nothing wrong with using a bass amp...
get the metal muff
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.