So it's my birthday today and I got some spending money to burn. Now I've got a good classic rock/clean setup, but I want to get a decent metal sound too and my equipment just won't cut it for that.

So should I get an amp or a guitar as a first step towards a metal tone, and what amp or guitar should I buy? As far as bands go, it'll be Metallica, some Children of Bodom, Dream Theater, and Pantera.

Thanks
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
i say amp:
Peavey 6505/5150 Head + cab with V30's

or what about both ?!?!?!
a Schecter 09 Omen EXTREME/ Jackson DXMG + a Peavey Vypyr 30...............
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I def can't afford a $1000 head AND a cab (i don't have a cab yet).

And I dunno about the Vypyr 30, digital modelling is still kinda sketchy for me. (First amp was a Spider 3 and it SUCKED.)
Gear:
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by RyanDV

And I dunno about the Vypyr 30, digital modelling is still kinda sketchy for me. (First amp was a Spider 3 and it SUCKED.)

vypyr or cube >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> spider.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by RyanDV

1: go look for the Head on Ebay they sell the 5150 for only $300-$500
2:the Vypyr is a different amp it is 10x BETTER than the poopy spider
feel free to add me
wait a bit and you can get a 5150 combo for I think 500

or maybe look around for a 6505 on the bay or craigslist for 600ish
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Huh, alright, I'll look into the 5150 combo on craigslist or ebay or something. Thanks guys
Gear:
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Get a B-52 AT-112. In fact, that's what I'm saving up for and I play metal as well.
Quote by patbuck2
Get a B-52 AT-112. In fact, that's what I'm saving up for and I play metal as well.

Peavey XXX, Mesa/Boogie DC3/F30 > B-52 At 112
feel free to add me
why is evry 1 doggin on the spider its good if you dont get the 15 and i played the vypr its soso aint nothin special
Quote by thelizardman
why is evry 1 doggin on the spider its good if you dont get the 15 and i played the vypr its soso aint nothin special

what vypyr have you played ????
feel free to add me
Well you just missed out. Musicians friend had their Ibanez RGT neck thru guitars for 399. Now they are back up to 699.

I'd go schecter. And GET ONE with the pickups you want. Go to the music store and demand to lower the action and play it. That way you know if you are buying one with bad frets.

Other than that you can get a bolt on RG that's decent for 500. I mean it's not an RGT but it actually plays pretty close. But the pickups suck you have to change them out. But you can't go wrong with shredding with an RG.
Quote by thelizardman

Cuz thars muhc bettarz amps'z... Gah.

Quote by Highwaytohell
I say get an overdrive pedal. Classic 30s can EASILY do metal with an OD pedal
That's probably the best idea. Check out a Fulltone OCD.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Feb 14, 2009,
If you want an amp the vypyr 60 does not sound like a modeling amp. It sounds like any other tube amp really and sounds a lot like the models. The solid state ones are okay. But i'd get the 60 watt tube. the thing sounds amazing. Especially for being able to get loud over a drummer or play in your bedroom.

If you are going to only be playing in your bedroom do yourself a favor and don't get a real 5150. I own a few of them myself. While I love those amps they aren't going to be what you want playing in your bedroom. They are louder than you probably realize. Even turned down. You'll find yourself playing your old line 6 spider more because you won't be able to turn your 5150 up at night.
Quote by gregs1020
Cuz thars muhc bettarz amps'z... Gah.

That's probably the best idea. Check out a Fulltone OCD.

+1

The OCD has a good bit of gain