Page 1 of 2
What band do you think was the best in the 1980s? Not best band today that existed in the 80s buy bands that had the best music released in the 80s. Even though im not a huge fan of them i would have to say Metallica. Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All, those are some pretty great albums.
ah, finally someone made this thread. nobody ever asks this stuff... and now that we have a thread, we can finally crown a "winner" and stop listening to the other bands from the 80's. </sarcasm>

my vote goes to GN'R, for what it's worth.
Quote by frigginjerk
ah, finally someone made this thread. nobody ever asks this stuff... and now that we have a thread, we can finally crown a "winner" and stop listening to the other bands from the 80's. </sarcasm>

my vote goes to GN'R, for what it's worth.

Since when GN'R is metal?
i like metallica, and exodus
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
It's all peoples opinions in the end.
There is no right answer or best of anything, personally, I don't like Metallica.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by skwelcher
i like metallica, and exodus

in other words you like kirk hammet
Quote by DKMfreak410
definately metallica and if anyone disagrees thou shalt be banished from UG

Or, alternatively, one could grow a personality and choose whatever album/band they like rather than a band who in retrospect, weren't all that vital or extraordinarily good, and released nice albums that were hardly mindblowing.

That said, I have quite a fondness of Voivod's Nothingface.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Last edited by dead-fish at Feb 14, 2009,
Maiden released a lot of good stuff in the 80's, especially the first five or six albums
Quote by jedkoc
Since when GN'R is metal?

since i said they were. uh-oh. now the genre police will take me away.

i say GN'R because i honestly don't care for any 80's metal when it comes to actually listening to it. I appreciate the guitar work and everything, but it's just not my scene.

i only posted in here because i like to rip on folks who make "best ________" threads.
There are just too many.
Venom put out their first 3, Dark Angel put out Darkness Descends, Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death, Death's Scream Bloody Gore, Possessed's Seven Churches, Atheist's Piece of Time, Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness, Sodom's first 3, Kreator's first 4, Mayhem's Deathcrush, Sarcofago's INRI, Blind Guardian's first 2, the Nihilist demos...
Last edited by dminishedthingy at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by BenRaah
Maiden released a lot of good stuff in the 80's, especially the first five or six albums

First 5 or 6? How the fuck can you exclude SSoaSS from their best works.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by dminishedthingy
There are just too many.
Venom put out their first 3, Dark Angel put out Darkness Descends, Morbid Saint's Spectrum of Death, Death's Scream Bloody Gore, Possessed's Seven Churches, Atheist's Piece of Time, Morbid Angel's Altars of Madness, Sodom's first 3, Kreator's first 4, Mayhem's Deathcrush, Sarcofago's INRI, Blind Guardian's first 2, the Nihilist demos...

As usual, dminished won.

Definitely more, but ya covered the bases.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by frigginjerk
since i said they were. uh-oh. now the genre police will take me away.

i say GN'R because i honestly don't care for any 80's metal when it comes to actually listening to it. I appreciate the guitar work and everything, but it's just not my scene.

i only posted in here because i like to rip on folks who make "best ________" threads.

ironic cuz it seems the only people that take these threads seriously are the ones who dislike them. -_-
Quote by s0liddante
ironic cuz it seems the only people that take these threads seriously are the ones who dislike them. -_-

i think the real issue is this... look at how many more years i've been registered on this site than you have. do you think i haven't seen this same thread fifty times before, and that it hasn't been a pretty stupid thread about 49 of those 50 times? anyways, i'm done. i don't wanna invoke flaming from the whole forum... i just know these types of threads are overdone and kinda lame to many UG'ers.
Quote by frigginjerk
i think the real issue is this... look at how many more years i've been registered on this site than you have. do you think i haven't seen this same thread fifty times before, and that it hasn't been a pretty stupid thread about 49 of those 50 times? anyways, i'm done. i don't wanna invoke flaming from the whole forum... i just know these types of threads are overdone and kinda lame to many UG'ers.

ouch
GN'R isn't metal, so they shouldn't be here.

I vote Erasure.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
I say Iron Maiden, megadeth or Testamment
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Quote by MoogleRancha
As usual, dminished won.

Definitely more, but ya covered the bases.

+100000
Nothing really out of the ordinary. Most stuff I listen to is from the 90's or modern.

Atheist - PoT
Death - SBG/Leprosy
MA - AoM/AoD
IM - everything up until SSoaSS
Candlemass - EDM, Nightfall
Testament - New Order, Legacy, PWYP
Megadeth - everything up until SF,SG,SW
Carcass - RoP/SoS
Pestilence - Malleus Malleficarum/Consuming Impulse
Kreator - everything up until Extreme Aggression
Bathory - everything up until BFD
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Bolt Thrower - first 2 albums
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys (both parts)
Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion/ItP
Sodom - Agent Orange
Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
I've found Jesus
Death.
Morbid Angel.
Judas Priest.
Maybe Carcass, I'm not sure if Symphonies should go under Grind.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Godflesh
Bathory
Blind Guardian
King Diamond
Candlemass

Take your pick.

SHAME EDIT:

You should all be filled with immense shame and sadness for not mentioning Godflesh.

My Broadrick fellation fandom aside, how could you NOT show your love for the forerunners of industrial metal? Yes, Broadrick was in bands prior to Godflesh that helped create the sound, but it's still Broadrick, and Godflesh brought it to the masses.

Without Godflesh, metal would be insanely different today.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by dead-fish
Or, alternatively, one could grow a personality and choose whatever album/band they like rather than a band who in retrospect, weren't all that vital or extraordinarily good, and released nice albums that were hardly mindblowing.

That said, I have quite a fondness of Voivod's Nothingface.

Come on now. I can understand if you don't like the band or think they are very overrated (which you have every right to do so), but you can't deny their importance to the development of metal as it is today.
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS ONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AS NONE
SPEAK OV ME NOT AT ALL
FOR I AM CONTINUAL
I'd say Metallica
Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets and AJFA are way better than Black Album, Load and Reload.
'maiden, carcass, megadeth, testament, dark angel, helloween, morbid angel, death, kreator.......
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
This thread reeks of inelite faggotry.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by fallenangel20
Godflesh
Bathory
Blind Guardian
King Diamond
Candlemass

Take your pick.

SHAME EDIT:

You should all be filled with immense shame and sadness for not mentioning Godflesh.

My Broadrick fellation fandom aside, how could you NOT show your love for the forerunners of industrial metal? Yes, Broadrick was in bands prior to Godflesh that helped create the sound, but it's still Broadrick, and Godflesh brought it to the masses.

Without Godflesh, metal would be insanely different today.

You make a good point...after all, without industrial, we probably wouldn't have the SYL we have(had) today. And by the gods, without Heavy Devy we all might as well be bumbling neanderthal savages attempting to create fire by shouting at wet sticks at we futilely rub them together in an attempt to create just something that isn't a pile of wank.

I really love Strapping Young Lad...
Stryper.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Candlemass.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Quote by TheMantipede
You make a good point...after all, without industrial, we probably wouldn't have the SYL we have(had) today. And by the gods, without Heavy Devy we all might as well be bumbling neanderthal savages attempting to create fire by shouting at wet sticks at we futilely rub them together in an attempt to create just something that isn't a pile of wank.

I really love Strapping Young Lad...

haha

As am I, sir. As am I.

And I think Devy would have had a career regardless, it just wouldn't have been SYL. If history made itself so, but just excluded Godflesh/Head of David/(god help us) Justin Broadrick, he would have had a career similar to his solo work. Which would still work for me.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Megadeth
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
With all the great metal bands in the 80's why is there even mention of GnR. I dig GnR but there not a metal band, let alone the best. the correct answer is

King Diamond
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Page 1 of 2