Ok, its not my amp settings, not my guitar, the problem is how i play.

When im playing lead, or soloing, I always have a really bluesy sound. I guess how i play, what scales i use, i don't really know what it is.

Any advice on how to stop playing blues stuff and get a more modern lead/solo sound.

Any certain scales? Right now i mainly stick in minor pentatonic all over the fretboard.

I just don't know what the problem is
you need a whammy bar and loads of gain to clutter it all up. Grab the whammy bar a jerk it off while hitting your pentatonic scales, also wear a wrist guard full of rusty spikes (see what I'm getting at here?)

seriously though, just find a book or something.
probaly cus minor penatonics are used in a lot of blues, learn new scales
The Minor Pentatonic is your problem. Learn the major, minor, melodic minor scales, blues scales. Try adding notes outside of the scale into it as well.
Learn the major scale. You get a much more different sound. And when you play in minor, take out a few notes. Use a melodic Minor scale instead. Also, try playing multiple notes (harmonic arrangements) at once when in a major scale - you get a nice modern sound out of that.
The problem is definitely the scales you use. Pick up a scale book, and just start going through it, looking at all the different types of scales. Just make sure that when you use them, they actually sound good. Don't do something different just for the sake of being different. If blues works, then stick with it.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Maybe learn the Harmonic Minor scale?

Also just the standard Major and Minor scales are fun to work with when soloing.
Just use the techniques you know to solo differently...Blues guitar involves a lot of sliding and bending in certain ways. Try to stray away from those sort of techniques.
"I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been."

Quote by greennblue10
Learn the major scale. You get a much more different sound. And when you play in minor, take out a few notes. Use a melodic Minor scale instead. Also, try playing multiple notes (harmonic arrangements) at once when in a major scale - you get a nice modern sound out of that.

i just use minor pentatonic haha. I use major sometimes. I don't know much about the melodc minor, or harmonic minor, or modes and stuff like that. Anyone know any good ways to learn without buying a book haha? any good sites?

Is there any chance its how i play? Like doing bends on certain notes and stuff?

Anyone know what kind of scales bands like say Avenged Sevenfold, or Seether use? That kind of modern sound?

And i've been working on the major scale, learning shapes, stuff like that. Its an interesting sound compared to what im used to. I like it
The secret to blues licks are in the phrasing, anybody can play a pentatonic riff. But not many people can play it with enough emotion and passion to make it matter
Quote by EatShreddies
The secret to blues licks are in the phrasing, anybody can play a pentatonic riff. But not many people can play it with enough emotion and passion to make it matter

Thanks... i was saying i dont' want a blues sound. I love blues, and have been mainly playing blues since i started, but im trying to get a more modern rock/ metal sound