Hey can anyone recommend a good tube amp that is good for small gigs and bedroom playing? It needs to be under £500 and I'm into Jimi Hendrix/John Frusciante kinda thing
Please reply!!!
how small are these gigs? do you have a P.A. that you can mic an amp with if you have to?
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

for playing jimi and stuff like that, i've found that my peavey valveking, with an ibenez tube screamer, does that kind of stuff extremly well, i would say the valveking is better for blues, rock, and some metal. Also try the fender twin reverb dulex, things amazing but expensive as hell.
Quote by britishsligean
marshall dsl401

this is what i was thinking. you can get those suckers cheap on ebay.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

A Fender blues junior, maybe with an overdrive or fuzz, should do what you want. I have one and I absolutely love it, and it's more than capable of handling small gigs.
fender blues junior will get you a great frusciante clean sound, and is a phenomenal amp. it gets plenty loud enough for small gigs, especially if you mic it. the overdrive is very warm and smooth, but if you want anything heavier than classic blues or classic rock then you're gonna need an overdrive or a distortion pedal
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
i was going to say blues junior also.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by britishsligean
marshall is definetly the way to go since both of them use marshalls

Hendrix only used them live, all his recordings were fender amps for the most part.

A blues jr with a fuzz face and a DS2 should get you all those tone, as long as you have a strat.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Vypyr 60 tube. You'll get a lot of cool hendrix sounds out of it. And MUCH more expensive sounds than you can get anywhere else for under 500. It's 469. It sounds good at low volume and plenty loud enough to go over a drummer.

You can also hook up a 4x12 cab to it which makes it even louder.

Edit: The blues junior is a great amp too. But for cleans the twin model on the vypyr 60 tube actually sounds like the real thing. Go try it out because I wouldn't believe one of these amps could do that either honestly. But I got one and it's unreal.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by hcsn2008
Vypyr 60 tube. You'll get a lot of cool hendrix sounds out of it. And MUCH more expensive sounds than you can get anywhere else for under 500. It's 469. It sounds good at low volume and plenty loud enough to go over a drummer.

The TS didn't really ask for versatility, so an amp like that will be wasted. A 4x12 cab will barely make it louder.
Quote by hcsn2008

Fuller, deeper - yes, louder - not one bit.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The TS didn't really ask for versatility, so an amp like that will be wasted. A 4x12 cab will barely make it louder.

That's incorrect. A 4x12 makes it much louder. I plugged mine into a 4x12 and it was really loud at the same volume. Despite people saying more speakers do not make it louder, it does. It even tells you so on peaveys website.

I can't turn it up as loud as I do without the 4x12. It increases it a lot. But then you can use it without the cab for the bedroom. I use a 6505 with my band so I don't use it for that I just wanted to see how it'd sound with the cab. Sounded even more like the real thing and it will get LOUD.

And even if he don't want versatility theres better sounds in that 60 than the blues junior honestly. Especially if he wants a marshall overdrive and a fender clean.
Quote by gregs1020
Fuller, deeper - yes, louder - not one bit.

That's what everyone on here always says. I bought into it too. I used to say the same thing but it does.

It's like when I plug my 6505 into one 4x12 I play with the band on 4. When I plug it into two 4x12's I play with the band on 3. It becomes much louder with 8 12's. It might not be "technically" louder I don't know. I don't know if it's just the 4x12's pushing it out or what but it def is louder.
Quote by hcsn2008
That's incorrect. A 4x12 makes it much louder. I plugged mine into a 4x12 and it was really loud at the same volume. Despite people saying more speakers do not make it louder, it does. It even tells you so on peaveys website.

I can't turn it up as loud as I do without the 4x12. It increases it a lot. But then you can use it without the cab for the bedroom. I use a 6505 with my band so I don't use it for that I just wanted to see how it'd sound with the cab. Sounded even more like the real thing and it will get LOUD.

And even if he don't want versatility theres better sounds in that 60 than the blues junior honestly. Especially if he wants a marshall overdrive and a fender clean.

Marshall overdrive? Most of frusciantes gain is from a big muff and a DS2, all of hendrix's studio stuff was fuzz face and fender amps.

The reason it's louder has nothing to do with more speakers. It has to do with the cab having more efficient speakers.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Marshall overdrive? Most of frusciantes gain is from a big muff and a DS2, all of hendrix's studio stuff was fuzz face and fender amps.

The reason it's louder has nothing to do with more speakers. It has to do with the cab having more efficient speakers.

Well it's definitely noticeable. I think it's more of a 4 speakers pushing out something sounds louder to our ears than one speaker.

Either way he can get some good hendrix sounds out of the amp. The blues junior is an okay amp I just ain't as big of a fan of it as I am some other fender amps. But I play a lot of hendrix myself and I can get some pretty dead on tones out of it. And I was a guy who hated the modeling idea. I didn't believe this thing could sound that great honestly until I tried one out. A good neck pickup and that fender twin model is amazing. The tubes sound really warm and buttery.

I'd say try both the amps out.
Quote by hcsn2008
It might not be "technically" louder I don't know.
Not in decibels. It will "seem" louder, "feel" louder. But it won't be. Take a open back combo and plug it into a cab, miracles seem to happen. There's more tonal range, depth, all that good stuff. But measure it in decibels, and it's the same brother. It's deceiving I know. (I have a combo and cab etc...)
Quote by gregs1020
Not in decibels. It will "seem" louder, "feel" louder. But it won't be. Take a open back combo and plug it into a cab, miracles seem to happen. There's more tonal range, depth, all that good stuff. But measure it in decibels, and it's the same brother. It's deceiving I know. (I have a combo and cab etc...)

Yeah but when talking in decibels you could say a tube amp is not louder than a solid state amp. technically it isn't. But to our ears it's MUCH louder. a 150 watt solid state amp doesn't even sound as loud as a 50 watt tube amp. But technically it's louder.
Fender Blues Junior or Peavey Classic 30 are what I'd recommend.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by hcsn2008
Yeah but when talking in decibels you could say a tube amp is not louder than a solid state amp. technically it isn't. But to our ears it's MUCH louder. a 150 watt solid state amp doesn't even sound as loud as a 50 watt tube amp. But technically it's louder.

You are spot on. What "is" and what "seems" are two different things.
Laney VC30 if you're in the Europe, or a Peavey Classic 30 if you're in the USA.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild