i went to a music store today, i wanted to go there and lay away a Mesa Lonestar.
they didnt have one, so i tried out every thing they had.
the only thing that i actually liked was a mesa express 5:50. it was nice, very nice cleans, very nice OD, very nice reverb, very nice everything.

i am trading in some stuff with it, and laying it away. they told me in order to do that, i would have to give them my amp now. since i need it to gig with, i asked them to hold it for me, and i would come in next week to lay it away and bring them my amp and old drumset.

but now im having second thoughts. if im 70% happy with my fender, i would be about 85%-90% happy with the express, and i would be 96.8% happy with the lonestar. the only problem is that it would cost me more, and since i would have to buy it used, i may not get a warranty. and everything ive ever bought in my life (this isnt much of an exaggeration at all) i have ended up using the warranty.
so, should i go ahead and get the mesa express, or should i just try and save up for a used lonestar?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Save for what you really want..... it'll be worth it.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
I'd save up for a lonestar. It's an infinitely better amp IMO, especially for what you play. I understand your point on the warranty thing, but mesas are tough as nails, I accidentally ran my F30 at the wrong impedance fully cranked for months without noticing it. I didn't notice it until I took a picture of my MASS and realized the ohms were set wrong.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Highwaytohell
Kevin thats ****ing nuts! any other amp would have blown up

Go for the lonestar

Yup, mesas are tough, they can stand being run with only one powertube (for a few hours) and are even capable of driving a load that is lower than the amp (ie 8 ohm amp into 4 ohm load). Although, that will kill the life of your tubes.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
LSS switches to class A and runs on one tube in 5W mode, and they tell you to try mismatching impedances on their site.

Cool cats
I don't think you would be as happy in the long run with the express. Wait it out and get the Lonestar is my honest opinion.

^+^^+^^^+^^^^=Great minds thinking alike.
damn, i want instant gratification though, lol.
i guess i will hope i can find a used lonestar for a good price.
my dad is trying to convince me to just buy the express. i guess ill keep saving then.
anyone have a lonestar they want to sell?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Definately stick with the Lonestar man. Much better than the Express for what you play.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Mesas; built like bricks, and last forever. The Lonestar's worth the wait and money.
You just stated that you'd be happier with the Lonestar. Save up and get it.
ok, im saving up and getting it. im going to sell my old amp, sell my epi, sell my drumset, sell some baseball cards, and hopefully have it in a few weeks.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Dude, that's crazy.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Quote by cavalier14
Dude, that's crazy.

um, hah, whats crazy?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Trust me...I have the 5:50, and while the cleans are good, the Lonestar's blow them out of the water.

The Lonestar just sounds much better.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Trust me...I have the 5:50, and while the cleans are good, the Lonestar's blow them out of the water.

The Lonestar just sounds much better.

thanks for saying that. its always good to hear that from someone who owns the amp.

i think the expresses downfall is also its selling point; its a very small amp in size.
with a bigger cabinet (or even just an ex. cab) it would likely sound fuller.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.