Page 1 of 2
This is an idea I thought of, I think it could be something pretty cool.

Wether this will stand on its own or be added to the rec thread, I thought about having some of the regulars recommend some personal bands/albums, on top of having the rec thread's first page.

Now, this could be done several ways. It could be a rotating weekly spot, or a stable thread, which will (or will not) get stickied.
The rotation thing is kind of redundant in my opinion, as we have the radio thing which kinda covers this. Assuming we do a stable 1 thread thing, this could either be attached to the rec thread's front page, or have a completely different thread for it.

The latter gives us all the option to later edit ourselves the recommendations, so we can all add/remove bands later on.

It would seem more in place with the rec thread, but unless the mods can somehow displace posts in place of other posts, it would mean complete overhaul of the rec thread, and I don't know who here is up for that task.

Disclaimer: Due to the nature of this "project", only longtime regulars will participate. The exact definition of 'longtime' has yet to be decided, because I can think of a few '08ers who should be allowed to participate. If you think you're a regular, you might as well try.

We'll get to what the recs are supposed to contain later, right now, who is up for this idea, and what are your thoughts?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Um...sounds sort of interesting but I'm not sure exactly what it would involve.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Example:

Duncang:

Band X - dadadadadada dadadada dadada dada DADADADADA!!! Da, dadadadam blah blah blah.

Band Y - yada yada yada yada yada, yada yada, yad ayadydydydydyadyya.

And so on, and so forth.

It will give a better prespective at what the forum enjoys, better recommendations than just a huge list of bands which only organizes them into genres and hardly helps with recommendations, and just an interesting thing for the forum to do.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
Could be done...does seem a little elitist to have a group of people that can decide who gets to do it and who doesn't through.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Sounds cool, generally most of the regulars here have a solid taste and give good recommendations, so chances are if they like an album it will be worth the time obtaining it.

And maybe this will be a good opportunity for me to finally flaunt my Metal Forum 08 Best Taste Award.
Sounds like a really good idea. However, would the suggestions be of underground and lesser known bands? I mean, we definitely don't want recommendations of bands that most people here have already heard of.
DETHKLOK IS TEH ROXORZ!!!
Sounds like a good idea. I don't see the harm. Seeing as there aren't that many regulars, it could be possible.
I've found Jesus
I approve of this idea, since it contains a bit more of an "educational" oomph than the Metal Forum Radio.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Maybe integrate it with the metal radio?

For example, the person doing the radio that month chooses their favourite 2 or 3 bands from the ones they used, and writes a couple of paragraphs about why they would recommend said band/album?
This could well be an interesting idea, I like the sound of it. Definitely seems like a good way to introduce people to underground bands that they may well not find otherwise.

Maybe have it so that each person contributes a band or two a week, then have that put in the first post for that week, and have an archiving post or thread for past weeks.
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Last edited by Taydr at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Vermintide
Maybe integrate it with the metal radio?

For example, the person doing the radio that month chooses their favourite 2 or 3 bands from the ones they used, and writes a couple of paragraphs about why they would recommend said band/album?

The only problem with this is that the Radio thread is different every week, so it wouldn't really get the "recommendation" part across for all the wee ickle nooblets venturing into the forum.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Could even integrate it with the Rec Thread.
Have "essential albums" "general recs" etc. as usual and add a "forum regular picks" section for each genre.
But where did the existing recommendations come from? Did they just pop out of thin air?
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Only problem with that is that Bo ain't around no mo'.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Overhaul and new thread maybe?
Quote by Firenze
Only problem with that is that Bo ain't around no mo'.

We could just make a Recommendation Thread V.
Quote by Psychopathology

I get the feeling that no-one really wants to put in the time and effort to recreate it.
Quote by Psychopathology

Yeah but that would be a mission and a half

Besides, I like the idea of having a "regular's picks" sort of thing to give this forum an extra homely quality.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Taydr
I get the feeling that no-one really wants to put in the time and effort to recreate it.

Copy and paste Bo's outline and add on to it?
Quote by \Powerslave/
Copy and paste Bo's outline and add on to it?

Hmm...Still be a decent amount of effort, but I'd be willing to do it if it is to go ahead. I'll wait and see see what the general consensus is first though.
The first page of the rec thread is a bit ridiculous though, it's just massive band overload. "The Metal Forum Recommends..." would be best kept seperate, IMO.

I used to be a regular up in here.... <_< ... >_> I've also been around since 2002 (there... might have been another account involved with an email address that doesn't exist any more and a password that was forgotten... but I'm not saying that there was...)
I think it'd be a good idea to have a thread for people to show off bands that are seldom mentioned around here. Plenty of people go through phases here where they start to whore out bands in every thread possible (though Rengori has been gone for awhile now...), and I think it'd be a good opportunity to get a feel for what people generally enjoy, as was mentioned before.
Quote by Firenze
Yeah but that would be a mission and a half

Besides, I like the idea of having a "regular's picks" sort of thing to give this forum an extra homely quality.

Yes, I like the idea too. I don't think it would be that difficult to put a new one together, mainly would just be copy/paste, but with the "regular's picks" sections added.
Well, I, with the help of Firenze, am concocting something in this kind of vein. It'll be user contributed with the idea of recommending bands under particular guises.

Once we've finished each of our sections, it'll be a stickied thread you'll all get to see.

But this is a good idea, but like other users have stated, an overhaul of the Rec thread is going to be required. It's something i've been meaning to do, but have admittedly been procrastinating in regards to it.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Dyer's Eve
But this is a good idea, but like other users have stated, an overhaul of the Rec thread is going to be required. It's something i've been meaning to do, but have admittedly been procrastinating in regards to it.

I'll do it if you like.
This does sound pretty great.

And, while it may seem "elitist" in some ways, I agree with the "Forum Regulars" only statement.

I'm not saying that we/they are the only ones with worth while recs, but it would make for a good basis, and new members would have a good starting point for who to ask about certain genres.

I hope this pans out.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Taydr
I'll do it if you like.

I'll help
I don't think much needs to be changed in the rec thread, just some things need to be updated.
Lots of newer albums that have come out are worthy of being placed in the rec thread and I really think we should reconsider the deathcore rule.
Either let it in properly and put in a section for it, or get it out and let the hardcore forum deal with it. I'm fine with letting All Shall Perish disappear to the hardcore forum if it means this place isn't really two faced about how we treat deathcore.
Quote by Magero
I really think we should reconsider the deathcore rule.
Either let it in properly and put in a section for it, or get it out and let the hardcore forum deal with it. I'm fine with letting All Shall Perish disappear to the hardcore forum if it means this place isn't really two faced about how we treat deathcore.

I'm divided on this one, although when it comes down to it there's very little deathcore discussion in here anyway. Definitely something that needs to be dealt with anyway.

Guess if there's no objections I'll get started on the rec thread overhaul.
I would still wait for a mod to clear that.

bo worked damn hard on those threads, and I'm sure they don't want just anyone going things to it.

I'm not saying you'll mess it up, but it's not exactly fair game, IMO.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I've been waiting all afternoon for Dyers yay/nay, so I'll just start anyway, and get it cleared before I post it.

Not planning on doing much anyway, just some additions, and spell checks.
Quote by Taydr
I've been waiting all afternoon for Dyers yay/nay, so I'll just start anyway, and get it cleared before I post it.

Not planning on doing much anyway, just some additions, and spell checks.

Remember though mate that thread is outdated in some ways - you're going to have to add little bits of information on bands like Cynic, who have changed their sound significantly in one way or another.

Also, be sure to add some bands that will round off the lists a bit more.

If you need my help in any of these matters just say the word.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Do I count as regular?

I know I have not been very active recently, but that must be blamed on both being on holiday and looking for a home to live in whilst completing my final year of university.
Quote by Firenze
Remember though mate that thread is outdated in some ways - you're going to have to add little bits of information on bands like Cynic, who have changed their sound significantly in one way or another.

Also, be sure to add some bands that will round off the lists a bit more.

If you need my help in any of these matters just say the word.

Indeed I shall, on all counts. Although at the moment I'm waiting for the go ahead from Dyers before I continue, as I don't want to put in the time for nothing.
Sounds good to me. A bit organized while still being fun to do.
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Quote by dead-fish

Disclaimer: Due to the nature of this "project", only longtime regulars will participate. The exact definition of 'longtime' has yet to be decided

Oh thanks mang!!

kk you're all off the team. I'll get the cupcakes and drinks and get started right away.
Shadilay.
Yeah, go ahead I suppose.

But instead of actually posting it, copy and paste your post into a PM to me, so I can C/P it into the new thread i'll make.

Don't worry, i'll drop in a credit for whoever does the work on each section.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by duncang
Could be done...does seem a little elitist to have a group of people that can decide who gets to do it and who doesn't through.

Yeah, it seems a bit elitist, but I meant that there are hundreds of people who lurk here, post once or twice every 6 months and disappear fairly quickly, and having a list full of those people isn't very useful, and we may as well keep only the rec thread as it is right now.

I do think this should be in addition to the rec thread, because the front page really is just a clusterfvck of bands under different genres, not to mention drastically different bands under the same genre, just because of lack of sub-genres (Cult Of Luna and Spiritual Beggars under stoner is just one example). It's useful if you want a quick point-out for a band's best album or something like that, but it's hardly useful for band recs.

Now that we all agreed that this is a smashing idea, do we attach it to a new rec thread, or create a new thread?

Quote by morbid_death
Oh thanks mang!!

kk you're all off the team. I'll get the cupcakes and drinks and get started right away.

Oh yeah, aussie underground homophobic war metal band members are banned from entering.
Page 1 of 2