Page 1 of 3
OK, obviously it doesn't HAVE to, but seriously, why? People categorize bands like Necrophagist and Meshuggah as having 'no emotion' because their guitarists have exceptional abilities and don't play the blues. Why do so many people think the only 'good' music has to be emotional? Why can't it be raw, primitive and aggressive enough to smash your face in, like Meshuggah? Or super-technical and fast, like Necrophagist? Yes sure, the technicality of Necrophagist's music can be boring for some people, but why can't some music be all about speed and technique, like sport? Does that mean that it's not a worthwhile contribution to music?

OK, I've ranted for a paragraph and probably used way too many question marks, but I wanted to know what you think of the whole 'music is all about the feel' thing. Note that I like blues and jazz, and I listen to simple music as well as brutal tech stuff, but I just thought it might be an interesting thing to discuss.
That stuff is emotional, though. And besides, playing fast really doesn't mean a whole lot if there's no meaning behind what you're playing.
It's not so much a lack of emotion, because all music is a form of expression and therefore will have some form of emotion in. It's just some people use lack of emotion as the reason for disliking a band, it's not true and infact is a bit rude because to those artists they may have spent a long time and great amount of effort into the song just for some narrow-minded person to insult their ability. So really a lot of the time it's just people trying to form an insult by saying that stuff i think.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't anger an emotion? Bands like Meshuggah and Necrophagist write very emotional music, just because the emotion isn't sadness or happiness doesn't make it "not emotional".

This thread is dumb.....
all music has some emotion!

its a method of showing and expressing your emotions and feeling on something etc therefore if theres no emotion, the musics not gunn ab e that good
I've never listened to Meshuggah seriously, but I do sense a few emotions. Mostly anger. So yes, their music does have emotion. As for Necrophagist, well, I listen to them because of their talent. I'm not expecting an interesting story or meaninful lyrics when listening to them. But that doesn't mean they DON'T or anything, I'm sure they're songs are very filled emotion and whatnot.
Music is NOT a sport. It's a form of expression or story telling just like art, novels, etc...

All music has emotion it just so happens though that blues/rock is a genre that more people can connect with emotionally. There's a lot of guitarists that are very technical but also play emotionally, Buckethead, Paul Gilbert, some Joe Satriani stuff is great too.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Quote by MegaRon
That stuff is emotional, though. And besides, playing fast really doesn't mean a whole lot if there's no meaning behind what you're playing.

Why does there have to be meaning behind your playing?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't anger an emotion? Bands like Meshuggah and Necrophagist write very emotional music, just because the emotion isn't sadness or happiness doesn't make it "not emotional".

You're being argumentative for the sake of it. He suggested it was emotional (more specifically 'anger'), look:
Why can't it be raw, primitive and aggressive enough to smash your face in, like Meshuggah?
I for one just don't like super aggressive music. I listen to music because of how it makes me feel, I hate being angry, so I don't listen to the music that makes me angry. Simple as that.

And "no emotion" isnt just a crutch, many times is completely true.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

It's people who aren't good enough to play extremely technical music bashing it for that one reason. This won't apply all the time, but I'm very, very tired so it does for now.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
It doesn't HAVE to.

Personally though, I dont want to listen to something where the artists hasnt expressed anything beyond "look how good I am". But thats me. I prefer the art of music much more than the sport of shred guitar, and I'm fortunate that there are enough technically accomplished players that also express themselves as artists.

If you really like what your listening to, you have no reason to be defensive about it. Just enjoy it for what it is. We don't all have to like the same things.

Quote by Ed Hunter
It's people who aren't good enough to play extremely technical music bashing it for that one reason. This won't apply all the time, but I'm very, very tired so it does for now.

The typical point of view from people that are into shred. I have to be honest. While Im impressed by the technical ability of some of the guitarists, I really don't care to listen to much of it. Not because Im "not good enough to play it", but because it doesn't do anything for me. I don't enjoy listening to it.

It's funny because I often feel that are into shred get defensive because even though they won't admit it, deep inside they must feel insecure about being able to express themselves emotionally, or "play with feel".
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Myung-trucci
Why does there have to be meaning behind your playing?

Same as talking, if nothings behind it, then wtf is the point?

People get annoyed when people talk for absolutely no reason, same goes for this.
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

We're going to get into an argument about pointless shít again.

Everything is in the ear of the beholder.

End of.
Quote by kaosfire
Same as talking, if nothings behind it, then wtf is the point?

People get annoyed when people talk for absolutely no reason, same goes for this.

This if I talked all robotically and about things that make no sense you probably wouldnt like that now would you

Anyway you need to have feeling when your playing guitar otherwise its just boring to listen to.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Ikonoklast
You're being argumentative for the sake of it. He suggested it was emotional (more specifically 'anger'), look:

Fair enough....

Awesome video in your sig by the way
Quote by DimebagRob
Fair enough....

Awesome video in your sig by the way

Yeah they're well good at those types of covers, and the cartoons are funny as hell.
Not all music has to have an incredible story behind it. Not every band writes concept albums. What makes music good is what you like about it. Whether it be the crazy time signatures and key changes...or an epic story behind a few power chords or it just makes you smile...or all of that put together. The point is ...No band is apathetic. Every piece of music has some emotion or motivation behind it...People look at music differently. But just because you don't like doesn't give you the right to call it "Emotionless"
"I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been."

Quote by Ed Hunter

The typical point of view from people that are into shred. I have to be honest. While Im impressed by the technical ability of some of the guitarists, I really don't care to listen to much of it. Not because Im "not good enough to play it", but because it doesn't do anything for me. I don't enjoy listening to it. I like to hear something that expresses something deeper than "look how good I am".

It's funny because I often feel that players that are exclusively into shred (or technical playing) get defensive about this issue, because even though they won't admit it, deep inside they feel insecure about being able to express themselves emotionally, or "playing with feel".

There is no reason for this insecurity. You like what you like. Just enjoy it. Who cares what anyone else thinks about it.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 14, 2009,
I appreciate Meshuggahs abilites, but I much prefer music that makes me feel something (Meshuggah doesn't make me angry, just bores me) more than confusing polyrythmn chugs. I'm not calling them emotionless, as they obviously make somebody else feel something, but for me, nothing happens.
Good?
All music worth listening to has it. An upbeat rock out, a depressing ballad, an angry metal song, EVERY piece of music that has any talent in it is emotional.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by corrda00
what do u mean meshuggah doesnt have emotion? Raw and agressive ANGER is a emotion.

Most of the people who criticize bands for having now feel seem to think the only emotions are joy and sadness. I like music that has feel and I can hear emotions through, don't get me wrong, but I also like gymnastic shred.
Quote by Myung-trucci
Most of the people who criticize bands for having now feel seem to think the only emotions are joy and sadness. I like music that has feel and I can hear emotions through, don't get me wrong, but I also like gymnastic shred.

So like what you like, and get rid of the insecurity about "playing with feel".

Be true to yourself.
Music without emotion is, for lack of a better word, bland. And blues is, in fact, NOT the only genre that has emotion. Believe it or not, a lot of blues actually is not all emotional. In my opinion, music is only good if it demonstrates creativity/ingenuity and emotion. Any genre can demonstrate emotion. 5 notes a minute can be emotional and so can 500. I believe almost all music demonstrates emotion, unless it's just downright ****ty. I personally do not appreciate music that's always angry or spiteful, or always sad or complaintive. I do appreciate music that demonstrates a variety of emotions.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Music without emotion is, for lack of a better word, bland. And blues is, in fact, NOT the only genre that has emotion. Believe it or not, a lot of blues actually is not all emotional. In my opinion, music is only good if it demonstrates creativity/ingenuity and emotion. Any genre can demonstrate emotion. 5 notes a minute can be emotional and so can 500. I believe almost all music demonstrates emotion, unless it's just downright ****ty. I personally do not appreciate music that's always angry or spiteful, or always sad or complaintive. I do appreciate music that demonstrates a variety of emotions.

Yeah but emotion is subjective to the person.
Quote by Ikonoklast
We're going to get into an argument about pointless shít again.

Everything is in the ear of the beholder.

End of.

Says the 09er. You've only been here a month. Unless you are a dweller. I've been dwelling since 04 or 05. Can't remember.
Last edited by Bubbles516 at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Bubbles516
Says the 09er. Try being here since 06/earlier lol.

Well, aren't you special? How dare i have an opinion. Yet still how dare i have an opinion incase a teenager who's probably been playing for many many years less than me puts me down. <---You see how petty this is? This is what you're doing, petty.

Good music is in the ear of the beholder.
If you say it's not, or try and lambast me for saying so you're a douche. Not only are you a douche, you're plain wrong.
Quote by Bubbles516
Says the 09er. You've only been here a month. Unless you are a dweller. I've been dwelling since 04 or 05. Can't remember.
Somebody perm ban this kid plz.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by Bubbles516
Says the 09er. Try being here since 06/earlier lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Please read the whole of the above article, while I bury my face into my palm.

About Meshuggah; to me they have a lot of emotion. The guitar riffs just completely overpower me because of the sheer repetition and lack of compromise. It's just a wall of unstoppable sound. And as for the vocals?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQcExTrco6M&feature=PlayList&p=1F746977396DA7B9&playnext=1&index=14

The overall picture created seems to be a man fighting a washing machine to the death, bear-chested.
Call me Batman.
Last edited by J.A.M at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by ramm_ty
Somebody perm ban this kid plz.

+10909. If i'm being a dickhead i don't mind people being pathetic back to me. But i was trying to help the thread
Quote by Bubbles516

Too bad he actually had a good post instead of a ridiculously sad elitist one such as yours....

Lemme guess, in highschool you make fun of anyone in a lower grade because you're "above them" right?
Quote by Primus2112

Quote by kaosfire

Too bad he actually had a good post instead of a ridiculously sad elitist one such as yours....

Lemme guess, in highschool you make fun of anyone in a lower grade because you're "above them" right?

Haha that's the first time anyone's complimented my posts. I'm guilty of being pathetic and arguing semantics too, but recently i'm of the opinion that energy is better spent elsewhere.
Quote by Ikonoklast
Well, aren't you special? How dare i have an opinion. Yet still how dare i have an opinion incase a teenager who's probably been playing for many many years less than me puts me down. <---You see how petty this is? This is what you're doing, petty.

Quote by Anything Goes
Music is NOT a sport. It's a form of expression or story telling just like art, novels, etc...

All music has emotion it just so happens though that blues/rock is a genre that more people can connect with emotionally. There's a lot of guitarists that are very technical but also play emotionally, Buckethead, Paul Gilbert, some Joe Satriani stuff is great too.

But music is also a form of entertainment, like sports. I don't like technical-for-the-sake-of-being-technical, but other people do and that's fine. People like music for different reasons. There's no such thing as liking music for the wrong reasons.
Emotion is not present in music.

Emotion is present in the person who writes the music and the person who hears it.

Break it down, and its just soundwaves guys.
It doesn't have to be emotional. Every peice of music doesn't need to be an emotion filled, story telling adventure (although those are my favorite types). Case in point: Etudes. Not necessarily peices composed for the sake of music, but moreso to challenge the technique of the musician to playing. Of course a lot of people these days wouldn't acknolwedge an Etude as music because it has no verses or chorus'.
Page 1 of 3