Page 1 of 2
Hello everyone. My first post on this forum ^^ My question is quite simple: how can i tune my guitar to 'drop c' using a chromatic tuner? Yes i know, im a "noob" or whatever u call ppl like me, but i just got one and have no idea what to do with it.
Thx in advance
Plug the end of the guitar cable that normally goes into the amp into the tuner, turn it on, and from low E to high E tune like so: CGCFAD

That means the low E would be a C, the A would be a G, the D would be a C, and so on. What gauge are your strings? You most likely won't have much tension on them if you have light ones.

Enjoy.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
Last edited by ComradeIronMan at Feb 14, 2009,
Im supposed to do that with open strings? Well u didnt have to go down into such basics, im not a total beginner, i just didnt know what to make of the things that are happening on the screen ^^ And the tuner thing is supposed to display C with the first string, G with the second (from the thickest) and so on, right? Thought so...gonna get to it tomorrow. Thx (if i got it right)
Im not sure ive only started playing guitar like 4 months ago...got the 169pound ibanez beginner pack...im not even sure what model it is lol. its supposed to be 'ready for metal music' but i have no idea what strings it got

EDIT://

The guitar is an ibanez grx70...the price went up to 200, lucky me
Last edited by thekeymaster at Feb 14, 2009,
We all start out at some point. My post was so basic just because I felt like it, I'm not implying any lack of competence on your part.

Also, yes, the open strings are supposed to be the way I described. You worry about what the open notes are, pressing the frets will obviously result in a different note being played.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
if a neo nazi compares you to hitler I'd say it's meant to be a good thing, if a jew does the same thing, it's likely that they aren't particularly fond of you.
stock ibanez ****ty strings that need to be replaced A-S-A-mother****in-P!!!

It's probably the IJX121 Metal Jumpstart Pack. As far as strings, I'd go with 11-52 guage strings. Probable Ernie Ball or Dean Markley.
i doubt you tuner will display c and f if you are using the one supplied in your kit my korg doesn't display them
[quote="'[VictorinoX"] As far as strings, I'd go with 11-52 guage strings. Probable Ernie Ball or Dean Markley.

I use 11-53 now, but it I have played Drop C with gauge 9 strings, it makes bends and vibrato easy!
Quote by Lemoninfluence
Last edited by ComradeIronMan at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by ComradeIronMan
I used 11-53 now, but it I have played Drop C with gauge 9 strings, it makes bends and vibrato easy!

yeah, me too, i also use Drop B with 9's and the sound doesn't get diminished
ive got the grx70 jumpstart pack. and i just got the korg ca-30 chromatic tuner which is supposed to allow me to tune each string to anything i want.
so should i get a different string set or not? would it be even worth it with my guitar, basic as it is?
I'm going to laugh hysterically when you both come on here complaining about how your necks are getting warped and your actions are going to **** on your guitars.

Quote by thekeymaster
ive got the grx70 jumpstart pack. and i just got the korg ca-30 chromatic tuner which is supposed to allow me to tune each string to anything i want.
so should i get a different string set or not? would it be even worth it with my guitar, basic as it is?

Changing strings isn't an upgrade, it's something that has to be done every few months. As far as I know, they don't offer "Ibanez" brand strings. So yes, very soon you should replace them with something more substantial. Go with a thicker gauge to compensate for the string slack you'll get if you use the stock strings.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by thekeymaster

strings are about $5 per pack and yes, it's worth it, the strings will feel better... try Ernie Ball Regular slinky's
dude im a f******g beginner, im not gonna go for an iceman straight from the start. if i dont have to, i wont get any thicker strings, or maybe just a little than the ones i already got.

ok pretty soon ima have to change em anyways. I presume i wont able to do that on my own?
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I'm going to laugh hysterically when you both come on here complaining about how your necks are getting warped and your actions are going to **** on your guitars.
I only use drop B once in a while though, i normally keep it in either drop D or Standard... I never keep my guitar in drop B, i only tune it to that when i feel like it, then i change it back when i'm done.
Quote by thekeymaster
dude im a f******g beginner, im not gonna go for an iceman straight from the start. if i dont have to, i wont get any thicker strings, or maybe just a little than the ones i already got.

wtf are you talkin about? no one mentioned ICEMAN in any of their posts... i just said a brand of strings that i'm recommending you...
i wasnt talking to you, i was answering to the guy who laughed about our guitars getting bent...
Quote by thekeymaster
i wasnt talking to you, i was answering to the guy who laughed about our guitars getting bent...

na, he was talkin to me and another guy, don't worry about it lol
Quote by thekeymaster

It doesn't matter if you're a beginner or not. Thicker strings just means it'll hold up better to down tuning. Thicker strings aren't like some high-end luxury, it's simply a way to help keep your neck and action from going to ****. God, you're an idiot.

Quote by randomhero93
I only use drop B once in a while though, i normally keep it in either drop D or Standard... I never keep my guitar in drop B, i only tune it to that when i feel like it, then i change it back when i'm done.

I misread. I thought you meant you keep it in B-Standard with 9's and 10s I do drop B (BADGBE I'm assuming is what we're referring to) all the time for various stuff. Considering the A string can form an octave just by hitting two frets up is awesome
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
I misread. I thought you meant you keep it in B-Standard with 9's and 10s I do drop B (BADGBE I'm assuming is what we're referring to) all the time for various stuff. Considering the A string can form an octave just by hitting two frets up is awesome
no, drop B as in Drop D and 2 whole steps down. so BF#BEGC
Once again, I'm gonna laugh when you're action goes to complete ****

For real, though. It will mess up your neck if you keep it like that for too long. You did say it's only occasionally, right? Then it really shouldn't be a problem.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Once again, I'm gonna laugh when you're action goes to complete ****

For real, though. It will mess up your neck if you keep it like that for too long. You did say it's only occasionally, right? Then it really shouldn't be a problem.
exactly... I only tune it to that very rarely because i'm writing a song that requires drop B tuning, but its only that one song, so when i'm not adding to that song or playing it, i'm always in either one of these 3: Drop D, Drop C#, and E standard.
What exactly is it called when it's (lo-hi) BADGBE? I can't seem to find a name for it, but I use it all the time.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']What exactly is it called when it's (lo-hi) BADGBE? I can't seem to find a name for it, but I use it all the time.
nothin... you just have your 6th string tuned down to B, that's all...
Right-o. I saw it called that in total Guitar back in May 2007 when they tabbed out Rusty Cage by Soundgarden. Damn those dirty Brits
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Right-o. I saw it called that in total Guitar back in May 2007 when they tabbed out Rusty Cage by Soundgarden. Damn those dirty Brits
ha, well technically, it would be drop B, because you're dropping the tuning of the 6th string, but it's not the actual drop tuning...
No wonder the drunk douche at GC looked at me wierd for calling it drop B.

(Btw, he isn't a douche just because of that occurrence. There's another bigger reason, but it has nothing to with the discussion)
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']No wonder the drunk douche at GC looked at me wierd for calling it drop B.

(Btw, he isn't a douche just because of that occurrence. There's another bigger reason, but it has nothing to with the discussion)
ha, wow... well GC is very famous to raise douche bag employees lol
Indeed, but I digress. We've lost enough topics in the past to this debauchery of GC-flaming Back to the topic at hand. And I think the TS left.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Indeed, but I digress. We've lost enough topics in the past to this debauchery of GC-flaming Back to the topic at hand. And I think the TS left.
yes, he has already gotten his answer and is probably laughing to himself as we continue to have a conversation about GC and the correct tuning of Drop B. lol
Quote by DeadlyIllness
Just Downtune from standard until the string names read CGCFAD (Low to High) instead of EADGBE

we figured this out already...
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']God damnit, I just made another cummy mess of myself >.<

and damn you, you beat me to it ^^^
lmao, and it's actually cheap for a PRS... about $750
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']get it nao!!!!!!!!
now only i wish i had $750 in my wallet... I have $45 and no job... v_v
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']that's gonna be a LOT of handjobs to pay it off
XD I'm not desperate... nor gay... nor bi...
"God, you're an idiot."

Wth, I didnt mean the strings, i meant what you said about our guitars getting warped and yes a good and expensive guitar is an unnecessary luxury for a beginner like myself.

EDIT://

And yes i am having a good laugh, ur using a lot of forum space and therefore causing the greenhouse effect thing >< xD Well thanks for your answers, i sure will read all of em when i get a spare week during the spring break lol :P
Page 1 of 2