So yeah, it started out its life as an axl hss strat:

(Middle one)

and I want it to be like:

And so far, apart from the stripping of the polyurethene on the guitar, its been pretty simple.

I started out by applying varnish remover to remove the HUGE clear coat they literally dipped this motha ****a into. That too the better part of 4 or 5 hours to scrap off and sand down.

Once I got it sanded down I used (I think) 800 grit to get it more or less smooth.

Now I'm just using glossy white spray paint and letting it dry on my roof.

My plans are to get a NON BROKEN vintage trem system in this bitch, a maple strat neck from ebay (mighty mite) and some nice tuners.

I know its really not a build, but I wanted to try refinishing a guitar before I REALLY build a guitar (my mahogany-maple neck telecaster).

So far so good. I made sure not to paint the neck slot, I have all the screws in a bag and now I'm just waiting a day to see how the paint will come out.

but a few questions.

How can I make spray paint smooth? Do I let it dry for a day and then use very fine sandpaper and go over it?

How hard is it to wire a pickguard? And since its Hss I was thinking of throwing a jb and two good singles in there. any ideas or suggestions?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Hey, I'm turning an AXL badwater strat into a Jem! Hooray for modding AXLs The alder body provides a really nice moddable guitar. Looking good so far. And yes, to make the paint smoth you need to wet sand it with 600 grit.

Oh, and it's easy as hell to wire the guard. All you need is a soldering iron and some solder. I'll even grab you a diagram.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Last edited by chuckflan333 at Feb 14, 2009,
I also have a tiny bit of a headache... should I just take it easy? I wore a simple air filter mask, and had eye glasses on.

I think I just breathed in a little bit, should I worry?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
I also have a tiny bit of a headache... should I just take it easy? I wore a simple air filter mask, and had eye glasses on.

Plug that baby in and play me some deathmetal!
Quote by sesstreets

No. I have been putting clear coat over one of my bodies for the last week and the room I use is right next to my bedroom in the basement. I stay down here all the time and breathe it in..and look at me now!
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Also what wire does one use to wire pickups and what not?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
24 or 22 guage normal wire.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Ses you did good at least you were smart and didn't buy a AXL bad water like a friend of mine did.
It turned out nice form what I can see in the Thumb nails.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
^hahah douche.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I bought one of the older (now discontinued) ones. It has an insanely awesome pickguard.

I took some MUCH higher quality pictures. Sorry 56k this is 10mpx land.

This is where its hanging. On the top of my roof. Who ever said apartment dwellers can't do **** lol.

And this is where I spent 2 hours sanding this ****er down.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel

Notice what I'm talking about with the pickguard, its oddly shaped, quite cool. I think it'll look great with a white body and a maple neck lmao.

Also see the pickups? Yeah, they are getting OUTTA here.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
The pickguard looks like something made for BcRich. And yes it dose look cool compared to other strat style pickgaurds.

Edit:
Quote by chuckflan333
^hahah douche.

Indead Chuck he told me one day I'm gonna get a vintage guitar and I was like "you ani't got the money" and he showed up 2 days later with the Badwater POS. The guitar its self dosn't even feel good to play.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Last edited by Unherolike at Feb 14, 2009,
Oh wow I thought you were referring to me. I just bought a used Badwater to turn into a Jem.

It does play like **** though. Hence new bridge, nut. And those AXL EMGs? The bridge pup isn't horrible, but the singles are probably the worst pickups I've ever heard.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
:Ha Chuck I didn't even see that you had a AXL Badwater now I do in your sig. Well then you can definately atest to what I was talking about then and you did. That sounds interesting and those Pups must suck then.
There are a few paint dribbles on it. Should I just lightly sand the top and reapply without the guitar hanging?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Guys?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
When the runs are dry, wet sand them out a bit, and just cover them with more coats.

And don't get more runs.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Should I spray with the guitar flat on some cardboard?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
those runs look pretty massive man!
sand them out and start again, and when spraying less is more. Use less paint per coat with more coats and you'll get the color on without those nasty drips.
Quote by sesstreets
Should I spray with the guitar flat on some cardboard?

Hanging it works better because then you can paint all sides in the same session.

Also, no need to start over frtom scratch, just sand out the runs and continue painting.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Well. I ****ed up!

I sanded down the runs, forgot to clean it, painted over that disgust.

Lmao

I'm gonna sand it again and go with a tiny amount of paint per coat
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
And now I am on the road to finishing it! YAY =D

I sanded this mofo WAY down and made it nice and smooth with 400 grit. In the process removing most of the peaks and valleys left by the runs and what not.

Over all its much smoother.

And instead of doing it in one shot. I just did a single minimal coat on the top, I stopped when I felt that if I was to keep going I would get more drips.

And it worked out quite nicely, most if not all of the large runs are completely gone and all thats left is very small runs and a few scratches that have been more or less covered with the first coat of paint.

Tomorrow I'll need to get some more white gloss spray paint.

But my question is what do you use to get that fender-esque sheen and smoothness on the top?

Wet sand it with 800 grit and then... clear coat?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
yup. and sand the final clear with 1000 or higher grit.

btw, pup recommendations. you said JB in bridge. okay, so for the singles-dimarzio true velvets. beautiful sound. or order a custom set from nuthinbuttrubl8. he's over here in jersey, and makes great custom pickups.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Clear coat comes in aerosal form? Hope so.

I want the jb because I like its high output, yet passive tones that allow you to vary your sound greatly with the volume knob.

But I LOVE the dirty grit you get with a single coil in the neck with a HUGE cranked tube amp behind you with all the knobs at 10. I like the sound of the true velvets but I'd like to see what else there is. Does nuthinbuttrubl8 have a website of clips or what not?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel