I'm curious, how many tube watts is too loud for home practice? I have a Peavey Vypyr 30 right now, and distorted it barely goes past 3, and clean it barely goes past 5 (Depending on what amp, stompboxes, ect. I use obviously), because it's either too loud for comfort or my parents complain.

So by the end of the year I planned to get the 15watt Blackheart Handsome Devil, since I figured 15 < 30, it must be quieter. Now, reading up on it more, and 15 tube watts = or > 30 SS watts?

So, will 15 tube watts be as loud as the 30 watt Vypyr? I definately need something quieter, so if it is as loud/louder, could you suggest me something quieter?
Strats & Seagulls
5 watts of tube power is as loud as 30w of Ss power.........
thats what i think........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
5 watts of tube power is as loud as 30w of Ss power.........
thats what i think........

5? Then how am I supposed to get a quiet tube amp?
Strats & Seagulls
5watt tube = 20 w SS.

Blackheart little giant is a tube amp with 5w/3w switch :p
Yeah, try out a Blackheart Little Giant (5 watt/3 watt), or even a modded Killer Ant. (1 watt)
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by Danyg
5watt tube = 20 w SS.

Blackheart little giant is a tube amp with 5w/3w switch :p

yep im wrong.............
if you want a Blackheart try looking for a BitMo modded Killer ant or buy a regular one and then mod it
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Really for home practice strictly, 5 watts is enough, I have a 40 watt tube amp right now and even in a band setting I've never had the need to turn it past 3/4. Or you could get an attenuator which let's you turn your amp up (better tone) but keeps the volume down.

I've heard the Blackheart 5w is pretty good, and Epiphone makes a basic 5w amp that sounds pretty good (I've played on one).
This is my sig
They make several 5 watt tube amps. I believe Blackheart makes one that is selectable between 3 or 5 watts.
Mmkay, so 5 watts is the way to go then? And the Little Giant is similar to the Handsome Devil?
Strats & Seagulls
5 watts would definitely be enough for just home practice, and that could even be too much depending on your living situation. I have a 15 watt tube amp that I can't turn up very much before my neighbors start complaining. I also have a 50 watt one that I don't play very often because it's FAR too loud. I played it a bit about a month ago with the clean channel set around 9 o'clock, and my fiancee could her me playing from the parking lot on the opposite side of my apartment. I think if I opened it up, I could play so people eating at the Italian restaurant two blocks away could hear me.

If you want an affordable option with no frills, the Blackheart Little Giant would probably be a good choice though I can't personally vouch for it. For an amp with a full EQ and two channels, you could get the Blackstar HT-5 for around $500. There are also a lot of boutique options that go for far above $500, but I'm guessing your budget wouldn't cover those. Best of luck in your purchase!
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN

you can't. well, not without either power scaling or an attenuator (or maybe that zvex one).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
5 watts is pretty loud. I rarely run my Vj past the 12 o'clock position and even then I dial down the volume control on my POD depending on the amp models and stomps i'm using. Don't think for a second you can't pissoff the neighbors with 5 watts. It's pretty easy actually.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I have a 15 watt amp (Blues Jr.) and use it for home practice all the time.
My neighbors are old, too.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
First, no Valve amp cranked is going to go bedroom quiet (except maybe that zVex one). So your only other options are:

1. Attenutate (buy an attenuator, can be expensive but a decent investment as they are transferable from amp to amp).

2. Re-Amp (more expensive but less hard on your valves, involves buying an attenuator/load box and using the line out to connect to a seperate power amp).

3. LIVE WITH IT. Just because valve amps sound their best cranked, it doesn't mean they sound like **** at normal volumes. I have a 50w Peavey Valveking that sounded fine at loud TV levels, and a Rocker 30w that sounds fine at those levels too.

The choice is yours
The Handsome Devil is a 7/15 watt tubes. I have one and it can used at bedroom levels. It has preamp gain knob and a power amp knob as well as a tone stack and presence knobs. Very good little amp.

By dialing in the preamp and power amp knobs you can get good tones at a low level.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN

You use this thing called a volume knob and set it to a lower level

I play my 100 watt Randall through a Vader 2x12 at bedroom levels while my mom is asleep on the other level and end of the house (this house with thin walls... I'm on the top level btw.)

EDIT: Accidentally said 4x12 initially xD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 14, 2009,
Blackstar HT-5
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Shinozoku
You use this thing called a volume knob and set it to a lower level

I think this would solve the problem of the Vypyr being too loud even more so. That SS amp will sound pretty much the same at any volume you choose whereas a tube wont.

TS I'm really not sure why you don't just turn your amp down if it's too loud. Sure if you're after a tube amp go for it but if it's just the volume that is the problem turn it down, problem solved.
i use a 50 watt peavey classic 50 for home. i just dont crank it. its that simple. however, your parents must have very sensitive ears for you not to be able to go past 3 on a 15 watt solid state.

therefore the logical conclusion is to kill your parents, then buy a triple rectifier. its foolproof
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Hey there's a new Vox all-tube amp coming out Februrary 2009 sometime that will be switchable between 4 watt, 1 watt, and 1/4 watt, and I think it was only gonna be like $400US. Maybe check that out.

EDIT: forgot the name it's the VOX AC4TV
Last edited by SLCdragons102 at Feb 14, 2009,
^It's the AC4, isn't it?
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Get a Blackheart Little giant halfstack and if that is still too loud get an attenuator thingo.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by ihavenoname93
i use a 50 watt peavey classic 50 for home. i just dont crank it. its that simple.

Exactly. The guitarist in my band uses his TSL60 (60 tube watts) for quiet practice at home and it sounds fine. You don't need a 1w tube amp to practice at home despite what UG constantly says.
Just use your volume knob man.

At the very moment it's 1:45am, my parents are in the room above mine, no insulation between the rooms, just some boards and carpet, I'm running my Vetta in 300watts through a full stack and a half, no complaints yet. Not to mention I also have a headphone out onboard.

You could get a Line 6 POD XT floorboard and just use headphones as an amp. Maybe your Vypyr has a headphone out.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by bartdevil_metal
First, no Valve amp cranked is going to go bedroom quiet (except maybe that zVex one). So your only other options are:

1. Attenutate (buy an attenuator, can be expensive but a decent investment as they are transferable from amp to amp).

2. Re-Amp (more expensive but less hard on your valves, involves buying an attenuator/load box and using the line out to connect to a seperate power amp).

3. LIVE WITH IT. Just because valve amps sound their best cranked, it doesn't mean they sound like **** at normal volumes. I have a 50w Peavey Valveking that sounded fine at loud TV levels, and a Rocker 30w that sounds fine at those levels too.

The choice is yours

Re-amping is just as hard on the tubes, you're still cranking the thing.

That being said, +1 to this post.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^ yeah, probably

Quote by bartdevil_metal

The choice is yours

+1 (though an amp with variable wattage e.g. cornell which gets you down to a fraction of a watt or powerscaling would be another option, it is similar to the attenuator option though).

i never understand people buying low wattage amps which aren't suitable for the tone they're after. buying an amp with a good master volume which still sounds good turned down is probably a better plan, in that case. of course, if you can find a low wattage amp which is also aimed at the music you play, then that's fair enough. but the big problem with a lot of the amps around the 5-10 watt mark is that they're still too loud for playing at home, but aren't loud enough (or at least, have next to no clean headroom) for playing with a band...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by cavalier14
I have a 15 watt amp (Blues Jr.) and use it for home practice all the time.
My neighbors are old, too.

Same here. Except my neighbors aren't old, they're just bitchy.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I have a Laney VC15 and I have at at volume 3 (gain 6/7) and thats loud enough to hear throughout the house. My neighbour doesn't complain though, and she is old and doesn't like us haha
i gig with 15 watts tube power..

i'd say try the killer ant.. it's 1watt
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX