just curious what everyone prefers on this topic, both of my guitars have set necks and both sound great, ive had many guitars that also have bolt on that sound just as good or if not better than the set neck counter part.

to me if it sounds good it doesnt matter its its glued in or bolted on however this is a deal breaker to some.

share thoughts
Last edited by invision2212 at Feb 14, 2009,
Set necks have WAAAY more sustain, and they last longer. More resistant to bending and all that. Keeps your action more rigid for longer.
My favorite type of neck is the bc rich invisabolt. Its basicly neck through but it realy is bolt on.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Set necks have WAAAY more sustain, and they last longer. More resistant to bending and all that. Keeps your action more rigid for longer.

Wrong. Wrong is what you are...Not in all cases, but still wrong. Remember, if it aint wrong then it's aint you.
Last edited by marko'd at Feb 14, 2009,
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Set necks have WAAAY more sustain, and they last longer. More resistant to bending and all that. Keeps your action more rigid for longer.

As an owner of both, when I roll back the volume to compensate between humbuckers and single-coils, the bolt-on has more sustain than the set neck.

Anyway, bolt-on, for the above reason, as well as you can actually replace it if it breaks without tearing up the body.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by invision2212

to me if it sounds good it doesnt matter its its glued in or bolted on however this is a deal breaker to some.

same here. depends on the sound i'm after.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by marko'd
Wrong. Wrong is what you are...Not in all cases, but still wrong. Remember, if it aint wrong then it's aint you.

That almost sounds like a cheap shot being taken at my expense.
I love set necks. Much more then bolt ons. I have never played a neck-trough, so i cant tell about that, but the next guitar i buy definately wont have a bolt on.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I've got some of each and they're all good- I like the bolt ons for all the options they offer-trying a new neck profile, fret size,maple/rosewood is easy and if you don't like it you can easily go back. As far as sustain I don't believe the set necks/neck throughs offer any more.
I play my bolt-on and my set-neck roughly equally, I don't have much preference.

Studies have shown this is not true.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Compared to my bolt-on, my set neck owns it in terms of sustain. Both fixed bridge, btw. Could be the wood, but still.
A poor bolt-on is the worst neck join you can have. Crap sustain, crap reaction to playing dynamics, crap tone.

A good bolt-on is the best neck join you can have. Seemingly endless sustain, by far the best reaction to playing dynamics, great tone.

On average, I would say setneck above neck-through or the typical bolt-on. If you could guarantee me the best bolt-on though, I'll take the bolt-on over anything.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Bolt-on
id like to put a strat neck on my tele
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Tyranus-3121
id like to put a strat neck on my tele

http://www.warmoth.com/

They can probably make you a Strat neck that will perfectly fit your Tele body, they may charge a little more for it and if you didn't like it they wouldn't give you a refund (they can't refund necks that have had custom work like that), but it's worth asking them about.

Or:
http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/faq2.aspx
Regular Stratocaster necks will fit Telecaster bodies, there will just be small gaps in the two inner corners where the rounded Strat fitting doesn't fully fill the square Tele fitting.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Bolt on, because if the headstock breaks off of a set-neck, you're in for an expensive repair. If the head breaks off of a bolt on neck (which I don't think I've ever seen happen TBH) you just replace the neck.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I have a bolt-on and a neck-through
yes, the neck-through have better sustain acoustically, but once its plugged in theres no f***ing difference
It all comes down to your pickups
I am fairly traditional in my preference of necks. I like set necks on Les Pauls, PRSs, and most other humbucker guitars. I only like bolt on necks when they are on strats.